Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three Lions

Camp Freddy

Sep 23, 2004
Wiltshire
Something has changed for me with Terrygate. I 've always worn my England shirts with a bit of pride, but I just caught a glimpse of the latest shirt in the wardrobe and felt ever so slightly disgusted by it. All the images of JT and Rio this week in the press and on the TV wearing all the gear with the three lions on has made me feel a bit embarrassed to wear it in the forseeable future to be honest. Sound stupid, I accept that, but this whole saga has done a lot of damage that I'm not sure is going to be easily repared.

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
ffs all he did was shag a woman , is that such a sin , wear the shirt man ,toughen up

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've seen some tosh on this board, but this is right up there with some of the worst. Good grief man get a grip.

Camp Freddy

Sep 23, 2004
Wiltshire
I've seen some tosh on this board, but this is right up there with some of the worst. Good grief man get a grip.

What I'm saying is its all a bit of a farce really. Terry, Ferdinand etc. come on our screens at their press conferences wearing the blazers saying what a privilage it is to play for England, giving the impression that they are are mature professionals, and yet stories like this come out that completely contradict they image they are trying portray. All I was trying to do was make the connection between all the images we've seen on the TV this week with JT et al wearing the three lions, and the "image" JT has actually portrayed.

I'm not niave, this stuff happens, but most people who indulge in this sort of stuff are more discreet about it. If JT had've kept his head down and just played football insread of trying to be a celebrity, he might have got away with it and still been captain. Seriously, its been someting out of Jermy Kyle this week, all played out with the three lions as a backdrop, and I make no apologies for finding that a bit embarrassing.

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Something has changed for me with Terrygate. I 've always worn my England shirts with a bit of pride, but I just caught a glimpse of the latest shirt in the wardrobe and felt ever so slightly disgusted by it. All the images of JT and Rio this week in the press and on the TV wearing all the gear with the three lions on has made me feel a bit embarrassed to wear it in the forseeable future to be honest. Sound stupid, I accept that, but this whole saga has done a lot of damage that I'm not sure is going to be easily repared.

Yep it does sound stupid.

You would do well to always remember that the England shirt is ours not the players, we just let them wear it for a while. Its no different from the BHA shirt and we've had worse wankers wear that than John Terry.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Despite some of the critism on here, you are right.

Being captain of England was about pride and honour. Now it is just another (very important) marketing tool to make collosal sums of money. The England shirt for some of the players is more about money than pride.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Despite some of the critism on here, you are right.

Being captain of England was about pride and honour. Now it is just another (very important) marketing tool to make collosal sums of money. The England shirt for some of the players is more about money than pride.

Stone me, he was the Captain of England football team, nothing more. You may want sportsmen to aspire to standards of behaviour befitting their station, but there's the dislocation they are merely sportsmen.

The role model bullshit is tiresome' At the end of the day kids' role models should be their parents; to that extent it explains John Terry's behaviour; given his parents you could argue he's a victim.

On the other hand though we have scores and scores of elected MPs who publicly preach standards of behaviour and implement laws which we now know they don't live by. Yet to this country's shame no one's been stripped of office yet have they?

I know which one I am more disgusted by.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stone me, he was the Captain of England football team, nothing more. You may want sportsmen to aspire to standards of behaviour befitting their station, but there's the dislocation they are merely sportsmen.

The role model bullshit is tiresome' At the end of the day kids' role models should be their parents; to that extent it explains John Terry's behaviour; given his parents you could argue he's a victim.

On the other hand though we have scores and scores of elected MPs who publicly preach standards of behaviour and implement laws which we now know they don't live by. Yet to this country's shame no one's been stripped of office yet have they?

I know which one I am more disgusted by.

Hear hear. As for Terry being more discreet with that young lady...........
well I ask you,... he closed the curtains, what more can one do ?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Hear hear. As for Terry being more discreet with that young lady...........
well I ask you,... he closed the curtains, what more can one do ?

The fact is that with the money in football there are plenty of 'ladies' willing to be less than virtueous and how many of the married WAGS can say they were not part of the party pack that surrounds the stars.

No doubt its always been this way too, however I would imagine few sleep easy in their beds when 'hubby' is out with the lads.

They merely reap what they blow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here