Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three into two don't go

el punal

O ye of little faith! If we replicate last season that would be great - just 5 defeats and 89 points - it was the position at the end that was heartbreaking not what went on between August and May.

As a by the by, in our last seven matches we have accumulated 17 points from a possible 21. Concerned - moi?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know it's early in the season but my concern is that the PNE result this season will be like the Burnley game last season. That injury time goal by Burnley cost us promotion and the injury time goal by PNE may well be our undoing this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyone else feel like we could be going the same way as last season again?
That's how I felt before the season started and nothing's changed. Of course there's a very long way to go, injuries could make us drop back further, maybe we'll have to give up the chase earlier and concentrate on the playoffs. Top two is a big ask with the finances available to those dropping down.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I know it's early in the season but my concern is that the PNE result this season will be like the Burnley game last season. That injury time goal by Burnley cost us promotion and the injury time goal by PNE may well be our undoing this season.

Kind of. The Burnley result gave them (a promotion rival) a point they should not have had as well as depriving us of two. It also helped galvanise the Burnley dressing room as they knew they'd been completely outplayed but somehow got a draw. Infact, Burnley away was equally controversial for the Dunk-Shirt-Tug-Penalty which are not normally given, they got lucky twice as the ref at the Amex refused to deal with shit-list celebrity Barton.

PNE may threaten the bottom 4 and will be nowhere near us at the end. Despite the moral boost they have got from their shock draw, who actually gives a shit about them - they are not a rival for the Championship title. 9 points from our remaining games against Newcastle & Norwich and we are up.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Norwich have a cup game midweek before the Amex game.

Let's hope that gives us the fine margin advantage.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Norwich have a cup game midweek before the Amex game.

Let's hope that gives us the fine margin advantage.

Let's hope so for those of us who believe that the Pritchard guzumping was as much about destabilising the recruitment strategy of a promotion rival as signing a top player they need. I'm not sure if he's played more than 90mins for them yet?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Too early to say but I never thought this season would be like last anyway which was unusual in a number of ways. N&N are going to be hard to overcome but winning those games we have against them will probably be the deciding factor.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Think we'll really motor from January as we've barely got out of 2nd gear and maybe we'll get a striker in as well....Think we will probably finish 4th this season in which would be fantastic anyway :)

Newcastle and Norwich have huge squads and money although this isn't always a good thing for many...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm still not convinced Newcastle will run away with it. Their squad is strong on paper, but Benitez has to keep them all happy. Keeping the whole squad happy will prove to be a challenge if it does start to go wrong.

Oh and we are nowhere near "a 3 into 2 won't go" scenario. There is nothing yet to suggest there is a top 3 (or even top 4) that is pulling clear.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I have to agree it's already looking like the home games at the Amex against Newcastle & Norwich are going to be absolutley massive games for us this season if we want to avoid yet again just missing out on an automatic place.

The most important games of the season IMO.

Villa away on the final day probably won't matter by then and might, just might, be a great place to celebrate promotion at.

Such a shame Kayal won't be available for Norwich as I fear CH will be tempted to go 5 across the middle at home.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
To be honest - I think that unbeaten run last season was a bad thing - because once we lost - we screwed up
badly and there were huge numbers of draws which let's face it weren't ultimately helpful. This year I see us getting
more points overall.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not only that but I also get an ultra pessimistic vibe that Bruce is going to sort Villa out and sneak them into the playoffs, where they beat us in another excruciating semi final.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The most important games of the season IMO.

Villa away on the final day probably won't matter by then and might, just might, be a great place to celebrate promotion at.

Such a shame Kayal won't be available for Norwich as I fear CH will be tempted to go 5 across the middle at home.

Have we ever played 5 in midfield at home ?.... I just dont see that happening

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We were the third best team last season. Replaced Greer with Duffy, Zamora and Wilson with Murray, added Norwood, have Sidwell, Skalak and Knockhaert for the whole season. Hopefully March will come back and hit the form he was showing before being injured last season (although tough with such a long layoff).
The only reason for my pessimism.

Even his biggest fanboy would have to admit 3 of the last 4 halves played by GM haven't been anywhere near '2 from 3' standard.
A fella behind me last night spent most of the second half screaming for GM's substitution.
I was too scared to ask who he thought should replace him.

After AK it seems like the squad is becoming ever more reliant on Baldock's fragile shoulders, and with the best will in the world that's unlikely to end well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Let's hope so for those of us who believe that the Pritchard guzumping was as much about destabilising the recruitment strategy of a promotion rival as signing a top player they need. I'm not sure if he's played more than 90mins for them yet?

Coincidentally was just reading about Pritchard's full debut vs Rotherham on Saturday. Did very well apparently in their 3-1 win. Unused sub last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here