Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three improvements for next season

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Have now had 4 seasons of fighting relegation and to improve big decisions have to be made. Potters way of keep improving will not be the solution. Our squad must be strong enough for Gross to not play at WB, White at RB and Burn at LB or WB A goal scorer is obvious but will be hard to find. Dont know why he didnt look at Zaqiri once we were safe. When March was playing ok as WB many were saying this was because of defensive work but not good enough in attack. I agree and think we need an upgrade. A left back needed.. Although Bissouma has been our Defensive midfielder he has also the only one who drives forward to set up attacks. Need someone to do this role and get close to forwards, Not sure if Lalana has the engine for this To sum up to go forward need a CF, Attacking midfielder, LWB and a LB

I think improvement is good.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Striker
Pacy replacement for Gross, this won’t come at 3 million though. He has been great but he is too slow and is often the player who holds us up by going backwards during an attack. We need a younger and much faster replacement with the same qualities
Whichever other players we buy need pace, both to attack and defend when we come up against teams like Arsenal, whose pace today ran us ragged

Why on earth would you ditch our biggest assist provider? The thing about pace is that well organised teams can channel players into unworkable corridors. Gross can get out of anything. He’s like Harry Houdini. Chris Waddle didn’t have much pace but was a football genius. Gross is wildly underrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rob Sanchez, Adam Webster, Lewis Dunk, Solly March, Adam Lallana, Steven Alzate and Neal Maupay all played in lower leagues before they played in the PL. Same with Shane Duffy, Dale Stephens and Glenn Murray.
Yeh right - but not quite the point. Sanchez and Alzate did while out on loan as part of their development; Lewis Dunk and Solly March came up through the divisions with us, and Duffy, Stephens and Murray all joined us when we were in the lower leagues ourselves (and Lallana came to us after years with Liverpool, so whatever long ago time he spent in lower leagues is totally irrelevant).
Buying someone from the Championship or League 1 to join our first team now is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yeh right - but not quite the point. Sanchez and Alzate did while out on loan as part of their development; Lewis Dunk and Solly March came up through the divisions with us, and Duffy, Stephens and Murray all joined us when we were in the lower leagues ourselves (and Lallana came to us after years with Liverpool, so whatever long ago time he spent in lower leagues is totally irrelevant).
Buying someone from the Championship or League 1 to join our first team now is a different kettle of fish altogether.
We have a first team player signed from the 2nd tier Swiss league. Not sure what your point is.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We have a first team player signed from the 2nd tier Swiss league. Not sure what your point is.

Check my post against the post I was replying to. Straightforward.

Anyway, what has a player from the Swiss 2nd. tier ever done for us? This thread is about improving the squad, remember.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Until we sign some quality forward players we will be going round in circles. I would say a solid 6 hard to determine this strange covid season. It appears to be very much like GP’s first season start brightly with not much to show for it, followed by the annual dip in form ten games without a win was it? followed by a few wins when the pressure is off at the end of the season.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
1. Kick Covids arse

2. Football stadiums full again

3. Top 10 finish .

That'll do me .

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Pascal's lack of pace hasn't stopped him creating more goals than just about the rest of the team put together. He has no pace to lose as he gets older and nobody has worked out the Gross turn in 4 seasons so there is absolutely no reason to replace him.

What he lacks in pace he makes up for in guile

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A single striker won't solve our problems, hence I don't see us splashing 30-40m on one - if we're INCREDIBLY lucky we'll get/have someone who might get to maybe 15 goals a season (either a current player or new signing), anything above that would be a huge bonus. Goals need to come from multiple sources - the main strikers aside, the season return from Trossard, Lallana, Ali Mac, Biss etc has been disappointing - Dunk shouldn't be our no 2 goalscorer.................

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
A single striker won't solve our problems, hence I don't see us splashing 30-40m on one - if we're INCREDIBLY lucky we'll get/have someone who might get to maybe 15 goals a season (either a current player or new signing), anything above that would be a huge bonus. Goals need to come from multiple sources - the main strikers aside, the season return from Trossard, Lallana, Ali Mac, Biss etc has been disappointing - Dunk shouldn't be our no 2 goalscorer.................

Spot on, there has been so much chat about Maupay not scoring enough, what about Bis, Gross, Etc etc, we need to score more as a team. Our XG rating is very good, so we should score more all round, not all those chances fell to Mr Maupay.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Buy Zaha for £100,000,000. Put him in every match day squad but never play him. This should unite the entire fan base in their hatred of just one of our players, taking the pressure and boo boy negativity away from the rest of the team. Everyone could boo him as he warms up during the games, slate him in the pub before and afterwards and NSC need only have one thread where we could all enjoy a hate-in.

Those that want/demand Mr Bloom spunk a ridiculous amount of cash on a sulky mercenary would have their Football Manager Pro addled minds satisfied. Those that love to hate our own players would be given carte blanche or even encouragement for once. Those that live to do Churchillian call to arms speeches would have their fantasies of leading a protest march against the entire club hierarchy. I see no downsides to this idea at all.

So that is my first idea. I will work on a couple more for you all.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
I think there are about a million different threads on this topic, so I'll just say that we agree to disagree

Correct me if I'm wrong and there's a big possibility of that.

But your title is "improvement" which includes holding onto Potter.

Improvement meaning, making something better - then holding onto Potter isn't making something better, it's maintaining the status quo. I would say keeping Potter is a 2nd priority (first being improving our finishing!).

The 3rd to me is to get an additional LWB, March did a fantastic job, but our performances suffered as a result of his injury. Burn is not quite good enough to play in that role, so a pacey player who's almost like Lamptey but on the left side would be a massive improvement to the overall squad.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Keep Lamptey fit.

Get goals, be-it from a new signing or unlocking something in Maupay's brain.

Concede less from set pieces and in last 10mins of a game.

Become more nasty on the pitch, Maupay is our only devilish player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here