Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Threads - New Twitter competitor by Meta (Instagram/Facebook)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not for me, Clive. Or Mark.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Not available in Europe at the moment only in USA, something to do with EU I think. Maybe try a VPN ?
Yes, due to big privacy concerns.

It's due to the Digital Markets Act on digital competition, which stops large tech companies from combining data from different services.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No desktop version seems a bit short sighted IMO
possibly to limit sign up rate. also reckon might be a reason for no EU (the privacy is same as Facebook and Instagram - they work in EU right?)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No desktop version seems a bit short sighted IMO
It's so bare bones, I'm assuming they've rushed it out this week in order to try and capitalise on the sentiment towards Twitter and their restrictions on the number of tweets that can be viewed.

There are a number of obvious features missing which you'd guess will be added in due course...

- Timeline of just those you follow
- Hashtags
- Search for something other than usernames
- Ability to embed threads on other websites

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
possibly to limit sign up rate. also reckon might be a reason for no EU (the privacy is same as Facebook and Instagram - they work in EU right?)
From The Plaatformer newsletter...

The more pressing concern at the moment is to launch Threads in all the countries where Meta wants to. It won’t be available in the European Union to launch as Meta works to ensure that Threads complies with the EU’s new data privacy regulations.​
“That's just going to take a while, unfortunately — and I'm particularly frustrated about this point, because I've been living outside of the US for a year now,” said Mosseri, who has been working from London. “I've been on a total kick with my teams about stop launching things in only a couple countries, and not in other countries. … But in this case, it was either we wait on on the EU, or delay the launch by many, many many months. And I was worried that our window would close, because timing is important.”​

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I tried to sign up using one of my lesser-used email addresses. Partly because of their reputation for data harvesting, partly as an experiment.
Well, somehow it knew. It told me that wasn't a valid email address, and blocked me from signing up with any other email address.
As I don't have Discord or Gmail, I'm out. I've deleted the app.

Update: it turns out that Threads merges with your Instagram account, if you have one. To close your Threads account, you also have to close your Instagram account https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/06/t...x0CxD1QgIgydn8vN2jdvZmabDRU2IXIDh-2fHHHQVmDIV

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This is what Threads means to my generation:

Rewatching that trailer, I felt more nostalgic than terrified. Okay, we faced the threat of nuclear annihilation, but we did have a Woolworths to blow up: Somewhere to buy discounted seven inch singles, like the Frankie Goes to Hollywood one that stole the public announcement from this drama as its intro. An announcement voiced by Patrick Allen, who played Blackadder's nemesis, 'The Hawk' in the oft unfairly derided first series. (Rick Mayall as Mad Gerald was fantastic, as were Frank Finlay as the Witchsmeller and Peter Cook as Richard III). By the way, isn't that Reece Dinsdale, who played John Thaw's long lost son in 'Home To Roost'. Weird that that series was on ITV at the same time that the BBC were showing 'Relative Strangers', a Matthew Kelly vehicle with the same premise. His son was played by Mark Farmer who played the title role in 'Johnny Jarvis', a classic BBC drama series of the time that takes me back to the days of 'Scully' and 'One Summer'.

Anyway, why would anyone want to share whatever random thoughts occurred to them on the internet? Nobody else is interested!

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I like it. Twitter has more functionality, but i found my timeline f***ed since Musk took over. Not sure i need the search function these days, i only really search for Brighton news!

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Dipped my toe in the water but it looks like a bit of a mess at the moment with content I’ve no interest in.

I liked Twitter and had quite an active account however I used this emoji 🔫 and it got me permanently banned within the hour, so that was the end of that.

“peacehavenwildkids” are on there so perhaps in time with more follows/followers the content will become more relevant. I will follow back any obvious BHA or non league club related accounts (no god botherers please) but just being a bit cautious initially.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
It's so bare bones, I'm assuming they've rushed it out this week in order to try and capitalise on the sentiment towards Twitter and their restrictions on the number of tweets that can be viewed.

There are a number of obvious features missing which you'd guess will be added in due course...

- Timeline of just those you follow
- Hashtags
- Search for something other than usernames
- Ability to embed threads on other websites
The above plus the ability to switch accounts easily. Instagram is a piece of cake to do this, it's more cumbersome on Threads though - you have to log out, then you can switch accounts. I manage a few accounts for various bands etc., so was inevitable that I'd need to get on it straight away.

I'll be happy with a timeline not full of nonsense. Seems fine though and to a degree elements feel more like Facebook than Twitter. A desktop version would be useful and/or integration into Meta Business Manager would be great (especially for the scheduling).

FWIW despite the "not in the EU" malarkey I had no problems. I'm on a Western Med cruise at the moment and was at Cadiz yesterday before heading inland to Seville. Downloaded it without issue and was using it straight away. Initially was using the shipboard wifi to download the app, but that seems to think we're in Germany - I've downloaded some UK podcast episodes and the adverts were all in German. Downloaded quickly and without issue.

At the moment I prefer it to Twitter as despite the random nonsense of the feed, I couldn't see any angry or horrible people posting on there.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I rather like it, it does have flaws but it's v1.0 and will improve. It's a lot more friendly (need human verification so no bots) than twitter and doesn't advertise illegal and lethal hedge trimmers or bitcoin cons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here