Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts on yesterday and the Oscar situation

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Hopefully it's just Oscar doing what he thinks is honourable by offering to fall on his sword for 'failing'. It would be nice to hear something from the board now along the lines of 'don't be silly Oscar, you did a great job under the circumstances, carry on'.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Yep – agree with pretty much all that's been said. I’ve been following the Albion for well over thirty years and seen some pretty poor sides and any of you who suffered what we were served up at Gillingham will know what I mean here ! Through it all I have always, and will always, support this club as much as I am able but the buggers do make it hard for you sometimes don’t they !

I don’t want Oscar to go, I didn’t particularly want Poyet to go but it does seem that there’s something in the back of the club that is pushing people – good people – out. Is that something Barber, Burke, FFP, Bloom or what is it ?
I want to see a manager come here, be given enough to spend (within the rules as we understand them) and to be given his head to make decisions. Whatever happens we have to act quickly otherwise we’re going to be in the same situation as last year with a completely new man coming in virtually at the start of the season, without any time to impose his ideas on the depleted squad that we currently have, and struggling to find new players. I think we need someone in now before the end of this week, certainly before the end of the month.
Were Oscar to go Sherwood (given that he’s likely to be released from Spurs) would, I think, be a decent choice. He’s young(ish), hungry and plays a decent attacking style of football. Malky Mackay seems to be being tapped up by Norwich (yes ****** Norwich again)according to today’s papers. I certainly don’t want Allardyce and he’d be too expensive anyway. I am hoping that it is, as suggested above, just Oscar offering to fall on his sword as the "honorourable" thing

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You write very well

Always good to get feedback on the writing so thanks everyone else as well. However, it was pretty hard to gather those thoughts. I'd much rather have been writing a fluff piece about how it was going to be a bit of a pain getting Wembley tickets.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Oscar's injury jinx kept with him to the play offs
losing upson before kick off and Greer in the first half
but despite worse injury problems it was the same result as last year
losing the play off semi final
a defensive record better than the attacking one same as last year
the end was disappointing we could not keep hold of the ball yesterday
but all in all well done Oscar
but I think we should except the resignation
the king is dead long live the king ( unless it's sam or arry )

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Not a post I was thinking about at this time yesterday. Here's where I think happened and where we are. Not pretty reading.

http://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/2014/05/12/derby-away-full-circle/

A good read, well done :thumbsup:

For me, a few key extracts:

"The plan MUST be for a balance between on field success and off field solvency whatever this does to the child like egos of the fans who demand immediate success."

"Ulloa dived and stropped his way through a game that he didn’t have the pace to unlock"

"If he stays then I want him to commit to our budget and our long term plan and attacking football for real. If he goes I want the next guy to. That’s what’s important. Not another Latin hissy fit".

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I think Oscar was probably brought down to earth with a bump yesterday.
Watching Derby in that game brought home the major deficiencies in our team if you want to get promotion.
Without going through all their players, they were all excellent, just give two examples.
Even forgetting yesterday their striker Martin has scored against us in the last 5 times we have met Derby. What striker do we have that could have scored in three against them? Ours are just not instinctive, clever, confident strikers. Then the goalie. Full of confidence, kept us at bay and made some terrific saves. Sadly ours has now begun to flap, punch instead of catching and gone backwards since last season.
To build a team like Derby needs cash, a good eye for a player, does not need injury plagued or over the hill pros who have lost pace etc..
A big job to get promoted and needs all of the directors and management to work together to achieve same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here