Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts on the clubs plans to reduce stadium capacity?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are some interesting figures about transport in the accompanying documents.

Overall recorded use of different transport modes for the 2012/13 season

Bus 2,390
Specials 3,180
Coach 2,100
Train 9,800
P&R 3,860
Parking 5,020
Cycle/Walk 1,370
TOTAL 27,720

Not seen those before - they are interesting. Does that 5,020 figure for parking include people who park in Moulsecoomb/Coldean as well as the ones using the car parks. If that's the case, looks like the effect of the withdrawal of parking will be minimal. If it's not the case, where are they included? I'm staggered at the buses/specials figures though - given the capacity of buses is about 80 (90 if you overcrowd, that's more than 600 bus journeys to the stadium - don't know where those are coming from)

I'm surprised the cycle/walk is that low - there are a lot of Albion fans in Coldean/Moulsecoomb who walk to games

The club can't currently use all capacity within the remit of their planning application. This is an application so they can do so, at least until parking a bennett's field becomes unavalable next season. They have this season to either secure another permission on Bennett's Field or to find alternative transport measures so that they can continue to use them post 13/14.
Indeed.

The thread title is incorrect. There are NO plans to reduce capacity. The proposal is to remove the current planning restriction that limits the use of the stadium and requires 2,259 seats to be left empty.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Does anyone actually believe that Bennett field will be dug over and returned to how it was?

I can't see this at all.

Does anyone actually believe that Bennett field will be dug over and returned to how it was?

I can't see this at all.
Bennett's Field is owned by the Bennett family.

I have every expectation that they will want to get the maximum value from the site. Letting a tenant use it for car parking doesn't achieve this - and the Club seem to be arguing that there is enough spare parking available nearby for its loss not to matter.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I have every expectation that they will want to get the maximum value from the site. Letting a tenant use it for car parking doesn't achieve this - and the Club seem to be arguing that there is enough spare parking available nearby for its loss not to matter.

That may will be true given that neither the bridge car park or uni are at anywhere near capacity.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

But there is no planning permission open for redevelopment of the site.....of course what they could do is put a drive through macdonalds or uncle SAMs on the site....or fill it with burger vans serving CHIPS.

In fact that sounds great....make it a food centre with a mini M&S on the site And beer marquees with seats outside.....and a stage with FBS playing some records and local bands that don't have people shouting and swearing into the microphone!

Wooohooo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here