Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts on temporary travel arrangements

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It would probably reduce the ability of people from Newhaven, Seaford, Eastbourne and Hastings to get to matches though!

I'd have thought the opposite. Given that SASTA seem to have taken it upon themselves to close down the Coastway East line for the most part, at least it would allow people to get partway home and give them a sporting chance of either parking in Lewes or being picked up from there, or maybe even picking up a random train that's come from Victoria and has not been cancelled.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It would probably reduce the ability of people from Newhaven, Seaford, Eastbourne and Hastings to get to matches though!

From what I can remember, they provide the shuttle service by filling in gaps between trains that run to those locations (well less so with Newhaven and Seaford right now).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd have thought the opposite. Given that SASTA seem to have taken it upon themselves to close down the Coastway East line for the most part, at least it would allow people to get partway home and give them a sporting chance of either parking in Lewes or being picked up from there, or maybe even picking up a random train that's come from Victoria and has not been cancelled.

We've given up trying to get to the game that way. It's too hit and miss with lots of waiting around for changing buses/shuttles. That's why we've used the Racecourse P&R.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Empty species of season ticket holders for both Forest and Rotherham games. I can't see these being filled and they may not renew.

In this case it is the rest of the Southern rail service and the connecting trains. This has always been the problem (50% of the time) West Coastway. However with the reduced timetable and less fans it has actually been better getting home.

The thing that spoils best laid plans is the unreliability of the normal trains.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did 'park and walk' from Woodingdean - nice stroll at this time of year, and seem to get home about the same time as driving to Lewes and getting the train, and have a good hour+ exercise (just over 4 miles there and back) into the bargain. Might not be so much fun on a wet Tuesday night in January though.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The rail replacement service from Lewes to Seaford runs every fifteen minutes (twice as mush as the full train timetable) right up until 11:30 p.m. (plus one much later) and takes 28 minutes

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sainsbury West Hove Park and Ride in operation for the Wolves match.

:rock:

Booked.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am completely jinxed, chose the get the coach from Polegate on Tuesday night all was going ok, left the coach park at 10pm all going well until 1.5 miles from Polegate and hit roadworks and it took 45 bloody minutes to travel those 1.5 miles so ended up the latest we have ever been home in Bexhill from a match at the Amex and paid £12 for the privilege.

This has also happened to me twice now. I understand that roadworks must be done at night and the fact that the A27 between Lewes and Polegate is only two lane, means that one is coned off, but it was a total pain. From now on, I am going to use the "back road" home to Hastings from Lewes via Herstmonceux.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sainsbury West Hove Park and Ride in operation for the Wolves match.

:rock:

Booked.

I missed out on this last time, but all booked now.

It'll be my 7th transport option to the ground after:-

Train.
Uni parking.
Bridge car park
Mithras House.
Mill Road
Cycling (not really practical from the outer reaches of Better Sussex)

7 different options seems rather excessive, for a ground with 'terrible transport links'.
It'll be interesting to see where it ranks among those.
Aside from cycling Saino's is going to have some way to go to better the Uni car park.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Given that last week cost the club, they say, an estimated £250K in lost ticket sales, revenue and another 50K to stump up for extra staffing, buses, park and rides and that they already pay Southern Trains a fortune then the last thing they want is for Southern's temporary timetable, frequent strikes and unreliability to become a permament fixture.
They did a fantastic job at the last minute in setting up alternative arrangements but you'd think they want a return to business as usual (such as it is), however successful last weeks extra facilities proved.

"our success relies totally on us having a reliable, efficient, good quality train and bus service, otherwise agendas to encourage people away from the private car will completely fail.
The disruption and the cost to us and all businesses in the south east is totally unacceptable. "
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/martin-perry-brighton-hove-albion-3232576.aspx

Are there over 7000 match day ticket holders less than normal at each game? You cannot include season ticket holders in that £250k figure

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Are there over 7000 match day ticket holders less than normal at each game? You cannot include season ticket holders in that £250k figure

I've no idea how they came at that estimate but i suspect its a conservative one and it wasn't for just one game - it was just a cumulative figure after the first few games of the season.
And its not just lost ticket sales - its lost revenue in that figure so, I assume, they're including season ticket holders/1901 card holders who decide not to turn up and thus don't spend at the stadium thus losing them further revenue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is there a shuttle bus to Lewes for tonights game I dont usually use that route but Ben is parking at Lewes and dropping me off home on his way home to Guildford.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is there a shuttle bus to Lewes for tonights game I dont usually use that route but Ben is parking at Lewes and dropping me off home on his way home to Guildford.

Yes there is.
You can park in Lewes station for free from 5pm and there are buses going to/from Amex.
Its working as it did for previous strikes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Will have to drive tonight as no trains, oh well

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Can anyone tell me how long the journey is from the Equestrian Centre at Pycombe to the stadium? Might be cutting it fine tonight and I would have thought that the park and ride busses will need to sit in the queues of traffic on the A27.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can anyone tell me how long the journey is from the Equestrian Centre at Pycombe to the stadium? Might be cutting it fine tonight and I would have thought that the park and ride busses will need to sit in the queues of traffic on the A27.

Normal car driving is 10 -15 mins but not on match days although the P & R buses tend to get through quite quickly Depending on when the buses leave I would suggest 7.00pm possibly 7.15 is about the latest to ensure seeing kick off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here