Those with spelling difficulties - PLEASE READ

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I have to disagree with the title of this thread. There are some spelling afflicted who understand these things. Alas there are also many who have a reasonable grasp of spelling who are just too pig headed and/or ignorant to get it right.
I further contend that many of these same people frequent the "North Lanes" and sometimes the "South Lanes".

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
"Disinterested", used when "uninterested" is meant, is quite annoying. Commonly used on NSC in complaints about alleged apathy of particular players.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Don't get me started on morons using the word "literally".

9 times out of 10, the user of the word does NOT know what it means.

When I see people mis-use it, my head literally explodes......

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Very good. My spelling is poor but I think I get by with apostrophes....the other half is really strict.

However I hold my hand up and say I need more help with affect and effect. Can somebody make it a bit clearer for me?

Major earthquakes can affect a large area, and one serious effect is the loss of communications.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Can we make this a "sticky" ???

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Major earthquakes can affect a large area, and one serious effect is the loss of communications.

Affect is always a verb, and effect is usually a noun as in this case. It gets a bit more confusing in that effect can also be a verb meaning to bring about or make happen. For example 'Gus Poyet effected a change in style of play for today's game'

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
the mongs will not like that

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
'Could of' has now begun to infect the official site. Now, I understand that Inigo Calderon is a pretty intelligent and well educated chap. And they certainly don't go teaching 'could of' in any language school worthy of the name.

“Everything that could of gone wrong went wrong at Palace."

Even the journalist's grammar, it would seem...

It's Grandma.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Irregardless, shirley you can all see that your being total loosers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports