Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Those Darned Yanks? Endangered English, part 94

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It’s aloooominum, the least you can do is get the wrong right…

It's all about where you choose to break the word into its syllables

Chi-ca-go as in Chicago could be pronounced as Chic-a-go - same letters, different breakdown
Ti-tanic as in Titanic could be pronounced as Tit-a-nic

Go figure !
[one of my all-time Americanism pet-hates]

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Blame the French. At the time of the Revolution the educated French escaped to England and their influence gave spelling like Colour. They also screwed up the pronunciation of the word Route.
Melvyn Bragg wrote a book about this a long time ago, called "The Adventure of English"

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I work with a couple of people who have replaced the letter "Zed" with the letter "Zee".
I particularly hate that macaroni cheese is now mac 'n' cheese.
Or replacing "am/is" with "be", such as "I be doing that" or "my friend be doing that".

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City

Chi-ca-go as in Chicago could be pronounced as Chic-a-go - same letters, different breakdown

Go figure !

It’s actually all about using the right letters, the pronunciation was okay. C’mon maaan…

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I have a prejudice against Americanisation, but have embraced many Aussie phrases since I lived there. I rarely describe someone as angry. I use the term 'snaky'.

That's not the only term I use but.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
These words are in need of urgent rescue: –

Probably (adv) now increasingly replaced by likely (English adjective). As in: Bissouma will likely leave Albion. WRONG!

Affect (vb) worryingly trumped by impact (English noun). As in: The latest tax rise will impact millions. WRONG!

Call me old-fashioned (many do) but those American abominations grind my gears (US). Sadly, there are many, many more.

Examples welcome.

Interesting. I'm certainly guilty of the first infraction and use 'likely' in that way routinely. I'll think first next time.

I also use the second though I'm not sure it's so much of an offence. I think 'impact' is broadly considered to also be a verb.

One that really gets my goat is replacing 'fault':

Sorry about that, my bad!

Horrible.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
These words are in need of urgent rescue: –

Probably (adv) now increasingly replaced by likely (English adjective). As in: Bissouma will likely leave Albion. WRONG!

Affect (vb) worryingly trumped by impact (English noun). As in: The latest tax rise will impact millions. WRONG!

Call me old-fashioned (many do) but those American abominations grind my gears (US). Sadly, there are many, many more.

Examples welcome.

Don't let it get to you, Peppa's got your back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbzg2nhxDM

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It’s aloooominum, the least you can do is get the wrong right…

There was a film with Danny DeVito about aloooominum siding salesman. One reason why you hear the word a lot in America is because there were a lot and still are a lot of people who sell it for older homes in the States.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Go figure !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc9pDieYDYg

I happen to live approximately 50 miles from the Windy City. He is extremely accurate.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here