Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This Webster experiment ends jan 1st !!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think Webster is better in a central 3 and more exposed when we play 2 centre halves as his defending is weak. I would like to see White back as he looks to be a great player already and as with Connolly and Alzate proof of PL quality will only come if he is in playing at that level.

I certainly would prefer Duffy in some of the more physical games that we need to play e.g. Burnley and Sheffield United.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I'm not writing Webster off obviously. But he IS costing us goals. Wolves' first goal today he went to ground in a brainless lunge high up the field when they worked their 1-2, it left us completely exposed and resulted in us conceding. Not to mention the incident earlier to that when he went to swerve past a couple of players 10 yards outside our box, got dispossessed and almost cost us again. The first goal at Anfield was down to him as well, simply did not get off the ground to make a mandatory clearance and left VVD with a simple header.

Personally I'd have Duffy straight back into the team, to reunite one of the best CB partnerships in the division. Do we REALLY need two "silky" ball-playing CB's ? Let Duffy do all the ugly stuff. He wins EVERYTHING in the air, he blocks everything, he smells the danger, snuffs it out and then gives it to his mates who can pick a pass. Webster is looking like a bit of a luxury tbh. A very good player, but as SB said, he's simply not as good a defender.

To play how we’re trying to? Yes. 100%

Otherwise it becomes way too easy for teams to focus on closing down Dunk as he’s the only one who can ping a ball from the back. Having two defenders who can ping balls from the back is vital to playing out of another teams press. It’s literally the basis of Potters way of playing.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
He didn’t seem to be that good on the ball today?

There were a few sideways passes and Jimenez was a constant presence who hassled us all afternoon.

He didn’t look better than Duffy on today’s performance for me......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To play how we’re trying to? Yes. 100%

Otherwise it becomes way too easy for teams to focus on closing down Dunk as he’s the only one who can ping a ball from the back. Having two defenders who can ping balls from the back is vital to playing out of another teams press. It’s literally the basis of Potters way of playing.

I guess I just have an old-fashioned view that a CBs primary modus operandi is to defend. We have other craftsmen in the team to bring the ball out and break the lines, but what every team needs is a DOMINANT centreback who wins everything in the air, does the basics, wins the ball and allows everyone else to do their stuff. Potter has revolutionised how we play, but IMO, splitting up that D&D partnership has now made us weaker in a key area.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Do people realise what we have with white ??? He’s in the england squad this time next year .

Be careful what you wish for!

I am very excited about the prospect of White in our defence, but while Mr Potter is happy to give young players a chance, he also will not rush them. If White is recalled, it will be because we have thought long and hard about it, not a knee-jerk reaction to a few fans reservations about Webster....... who I for one am happy to see him doing what he is doing.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree, I don’t care how good you are on the ball his primary role is as a defender and he simply isn’t a very good one. Especially difficult to take when Duffy is on the bench.

I reckon you should care how good each is on the ball. Duffy can’t pass and there is more to defending than last ditch headers. That said, Webster’s signal to Propper to make that pass wasn’t very bright.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Switch the system, bring in Duffy and put Webster at right back, can still play out from the back but wouldn’t be as exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I like White but for his development it is best he stays at Leeds till the end of the season. At the moment Bielsa is teaching him everything he knows and White is lapping it up. It will benefit everyone for him to stay.

Also consider the players mentality in the words of the Newport boss he begged Brighton to let Wright stay past January when we wanted to recall him as he had done so well. The aim was to do a loan higher up the leagues but White wanted to stay and finish the season with Newport as he felt he owed it to them.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I would recall White.

Not because Webster is "rubbish" or a "weak link" or anything. But because at the moment we have a shortage of players who can play Potters style who he trusts to call upon.

So at the moment we have Webster, who is a decent player, but right out of form. GP clearly doesn't fancy Duffy and he clearly doesn't want to put in Bernardo or Bong to shift Burn across, so he needs another realistic option at CB and Webster needs to know he has to regain his form or be dropped. At the moment he is playing like someone who knows he'll be in the team no matter how he plays.

I also think it would be good for White. The Leeds loan has been brilliant for him, but I don't think he'll improve any more by playing in the Championship. His improvement now will come from the fight to win and hold down a Premier League place

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I would break it down further still:-

Webster is a better footballer.
Duffy is a better defender.

Mr Potter wants all his defenders to be footballers first.

He does.

But whilst better than Duffy with the ball at his feet, I actually don't think he's very good in that area either, and whilst I do accept you are right in terms of GP, in a direct comparison I would take Duffy every time.

I am hopeful he'll be much better next season, as it is quite a step up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
FFS he was a hero on Thursday night, now he's enemy number one, okay he didn't have the greatest of games, but we didn't lose, so let's rejoice in the well earnt point we got today. :facepalm:

Yes it was a good point.

But I thought he was ordinary at Arsenal as well, clumsy in possession and today he was worse. Did score a goal though......

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Where will Clarke( the kiddy we got from the tw@s) fit into all this next season?

As for White, our promotion season , Knocky was voted the best player in the division. Where is he now?
It’s a huge gulf between Premier League and Championship especially for young defenders.
Let’s just let the club do what they know to be best.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
For me it’s defender over passer, so I’d prefer Duffy to Webster too.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I'm not writing Webster off obviously. But he IS costing us goals. Wolves' first goal today he went to ground in a brainless lunge high up the field when they worked their 1-2, it left us completely exposed and resulted in us conceding. Not to mention the incident earlier to that when he went to swerve past a couple of players 10 yards outside our box, got dispossessed and almost cost us again. The first goal at Anfield was down to him as well, simply did not get off the ground to make a mandatory clearance and left VVD with a simple header.

Personally I'd have Duffy straight back into the team, to reunite one of the best CB partnerships in the division. Do we REALLY need two "silky" ball-playing CB's ? Let Duffy do all the ugly stuff. He wins EVERYTHING in the air, he blocks everything, he smells the danger, snuffs it out and then gives it to his mates who can pick a pass. Webster is looking like a bit of a luxury tbh. A very good player, but as SB said, he's simply not as good a defender.
I agree. Villa winner and naive Leicester penalty down to him also.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To solve our goals conceded is easy play a back 4 of Webster or Montoya with Duffy and Dunk together in the middle, 2 of the best in the Premier together last season, and Bernardo at left back. This is so obvious and easy to see, but GP cannot or will not see it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How do people still not seem to get it, how can you compare Duffy and Dunk of last season to any partnership this season? In Hughtons system a lot of the time we had Propper and Stephens sitting very deep protecting the back 4, bus park defending is totally and completely different to the way we play now, look how many players we commit forward and you wonder why our defenders look exposed and make mistakes.

He’s playing his first season in a brutal league, with a very attacking system of course I’m not denying he hasn’t made mistakes as have all of our defenders, look at today for the first goal Webster gets stick but Alzate positioning was dreadful and left Webster absolutely exposed. Why do some players get a free pass and others chastised?

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
Watching Webster today - I haven't been as annoyed with a player's individual performance, since Gary Dicker was someone worming his way into our starting XI's on a weekly basis.

At this point - I'll acknowledge that I know why Potter is picking Webster over Duffy. He wants a ball-playing CB and I don't just think it's Duffy's lack of quality on the ball that's costing him, I also think there's a personality clash there.

That said - Webster cannot defend. He cannot win a header to save his life. He continuously goes on these mazy runs half way up field, loses the ball and on many occasion costs us a goal. And, he's not very good at tackling.

On top of that - watching his 'distribution' today. That thing he's basically getting in the team because of. It was non-existent. Dunk is still the main outlet through our defence.

I understand that the game has changed - and Potter wants a CB who can play in this system. But you've still got to actually defend.

The reality is - the guy cost £20m. He's our record signing (or maybe Maupay just edges it - but you get the point). And he is the weak link in the team.

I'd take a CB who wins every tackle, puts his head through every header and looks like a genuine leader on the pitch, every time.

Also worth noting - our style of play didn't suffer against Norwich when Duffy came on, did it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here