Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This was the Brazil team that's hyped to win the world cup? Don't think so somehow...

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
First night jitters - now they have a win under their belt they can relax in the next game, pressure off, I think we'll see a whole different style and game. Think they are going to take some beating.

Re the ref last night - have seen far worse at the Amex in the last couple of years!

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
You can`t win the World Cup without a decent defence.
Looked very good going forward against a strong Croatia side but will come a cropper against a better side.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Granted you can't judge them on one game, especially as no one else has played.

However defensively they look shocking and with the players they have I can't see that changing a great deal, I'm sure they will still go a long way but in all likelihood they meet Netherlands or Spain in the 2nd round who might take the the chances that Croatia didn't

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Looked very good going forward against a strong Croatia side but will come a cropper against a better side.

Exactly.

Croatia is not that strong--they lost both games against Scotland in the qualifiers, and against Belgium at home. They had to compete in the play-offs in which they weren't very convincing against the average Icelandic team.

When Brazil faces stronger opposition, they will be taught a very harsh lesson. Of course, if referees continue to procure magic-hat penalties and fail to see red-card offences commited by the Brazilians, then no team in the world will be able to stop the Mighty Brazil.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Julio Cesar looks MASSIVELY out of his depth. Croatia were taking pot shots from 30-40 yards and he was fumbling every single one. He's played 12 games in Canada this season. He could be a reason for them not making it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I maybe in the minority here, but I think an opening game that has an own goal, a dodgy penalty, a disallowed goal, the alleged 'star' of the world cup being his teams best player wasn't that bad for starters. Plenty to talk about and get irate about, at least it wasn't boring, and I think this will be a surprisingly attacking world cup.

I cannot see Brazil having the quality to win this world cup, I never thought they would and after last night I am convinced of it. Even South Korea ran out of 'luck' in the end.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I actually thought the ref was OK. If he'd been bought by anyone I'm sure we'd have seen a lot more stoppages for nothing tackles, and more cards, but he seemed to let the game flow.

Neymar's elbowing incident was far easier to spot in slow motion, with the right camera angle. As for the penalty ... obviously it was extremely soft but we've all seen worse. No big surprise that Brazil would get a decision like that in a World Cup game in front of their own fans.

I can see Croatia doing OK in this competition - maybe to the quarter finals or even semis.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Julio Cesar looks MASSIVELY out of his depth. Croatia were taking pot shots from 30-40 yards and he was fumbling every single one. He's played 12 games in Canada this season. He could be a reason for them not making it.

Brazil historically have shit defence and goal keepers though. Their philosophy is to score more than the opponents. Nothing new here.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
1. there should be no penalty (that much I hope is obvious for everyone)
2. 3rd goal for Brazil was scored after a Croatian player was fauled in the midfield (which was completely ignored by the referee)
3. Olić was coming out on a clear position when he was fauled--should have been a red card (again, referee decided to see nothing)

I won't even mention all the little "mistakes" the referee made for the benefit of Brazil throughout the entire game. The sad thing is: if referees were able in 2002 to help South Korea reach the semi-final, then they are well able to help Brazil win the world cup.

All this is very sad.

remind you of any thing, play offs home and away against dirty Derby?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Brazil historically have shit defence and goal keepers though. Their philosophy is to score more than the opponents. Nothing new here.

Risky strategy. What happens when they come up against Spain, Germany or Argentina? Teams who can match them in attacking power but with better defences?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Risky strategy. What happens when they come up against Spain, Germany or Argentina? Teams who can match them in attacking power but with better defences?

Maybe it is. But historically it is how the Brasillians have always played. And to be fair it has not done them much harm. I guess they see it as the method of gicing them the best chance of winning?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And it's not long to go now. Monday night you will see how it's done. And the Deutsche Mannschaft seem to want to win the world cup with only one striker in the squad.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I just think that, with all the issues surrounding the cost of the World Cup (didn't Brazil's bid say there would be no public money used?), the demonstrations, the readiness of facilities, the madness of Manaus as a suitable venue, FIFA desperately need this World Cup to be a success, and that means the host nation doing very well. I didn't think Brazil were particulary impressive and until Neymar's blatant elbow, I thought Croatia had every chance of teaching Brazil a lesson. Unless they actually show some true signs of quality (the third goal was pretty good, btw), they will need all the help FIFA can give them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just think that, with all the issues surrounding the cost of the World Cup (didn't Brazil's bid say there would be no public money used?), the demonstrations, the readiness of facilities, the madness of Manaus as a suitable venue, FIFA desperately need this World Cup to be a success, and that means the host nation doing very well. I didn't think Brazil were particulary impressive and until Neymar's blatant elbow, I thought Croatia had every chance of teaching Brazil a lesson. Unless they actually show some true signs of quality (the third goal was pretty good, btw), they will need all the help FIFA can give them.

Why does a successful world cup = Brazil "doing well"? Will it be a failure if say Germany or Argentina win it? I do not understand.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
You can't play Dani Alves right back and expect to keep clean sheets (just ask Barca)
QPR's third choice keeper in goal. Completely reliant on one striker (why does that sound familiar?).
Piss easy group but they won't get past Spain without a couple more dodgy decisions.

Argentina will walk it.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
1. there should be no penalty (that much I hope is obvious for everyone)
2. 3rd goal for Brazil was scored after a Croatian player was fauled in the midfield (which was completely ignored by the referee)
3. Olić was coming out on a clear position when he was fauled--should have been a red card (again, referee decided to see nothing)

I won't even mention all the little "mistakes" the referee made for the benefit of Brazil throughout the entire game. The sad thing is: if referees were able in 2002 to help South Korea reach the semi-final, then they are well able to help Brazil win the world cup.

All this is very sad.

Perhaps the ref had a different slant on the game :rolleyes:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Phil Scolari may well become one of the villains of this World Cup. Some of his antics during last nights game were a complete embarrassment. His post match comments were a joke as well.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Why does a successful world cup = Brazil "doing well"? Will it be a failure if say Germany or Argentina win it? I do not understand.

In the context of justifying their decision to award the competition to Brazil in the first place. Brazil doing well (in the eyes of the Brazilians) will encourage the crowds and generate the carnival atmosphere, instead of (even worse) riots, tear gas and bad publicity. Perhaps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here