Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

this time next year

jd312

Feb 19, 2011
league one easy! but i wanted to know what people think the state of brighton will be like in the championship? i think with the crop of youngsters and championship quality players (Elliott Bennett, Ashley Barnes, Iñigo Calderón, Glenn Murray, Craig Noone, Liam Bridcutt, etc) means that we could be up there for a long time.

but what do others think? do people think we could do a blackpool or are we going to struggle assuming we don't have a much difference squad?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think we are more like Norwich. If/when we go up I don't expect to go back down again

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm half expecting another promotion challenge, I really am. We're only about 4 or 5 players short of championship challenging side IMO, and we shouldn't have many issues attracting the right players to the club next season. New ground, 16,000 STHs, club on the up in a city most players would love to earn a living working with one of the best managers in the country, so why not?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We're not there yet...
IF we do get there 4th bottom would be the main target - do't get carried away people

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're not there yet...
IF we do get there 4th bottom would be the main target - do't get carried away people

Sheebs...mid table, easy.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Anything from 21st up would be great. Yes we are pissing on League One, but many teams have done that and have come crashing down the next season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anything from 21st up would be great. Yes we are pissing on League One, but many teams have done that and have come crashing down the next season.

Most promoted teams from this division seem to have taken the momentum on into the Championship and done very well - I don't recall any recent examples of a team going up from League One and crashing straight back down again.

If we finish the job and go up, we've got a LOT of major factors in our favour for next season. I'm not saying we'll be challenging the top of the division, but I certainly don't see us battling against the drop. Unlike previous seasons when we were punching WELL above our weight just to be in the Championsip, this time we are MORE than equipped to deal with it and compete at that level.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

If we do go up (not counting chickens yet, this is Brighton) there is no way Gus would settle for a relegation fight or anything below mid table. The man is a winner and wants to progress quickly, he will want to be pushing play offs at the very least I would think.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The major difference this time and it is not a knock at DK is that previously we had to make do and mend with the players we had but his time we have a chairman and a new stadium that is able to provide the funds for better players, who are better suited to play at that level.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm half expecting another promotion challenge, I really am. We're only about 4 or 5 players short of championship challenging side IMO, and we shouldn't have many issues attracting the right players to the club next season. New ground, 16,000 STHs, club on the up in a city most players would love to earn a living working with one of the best managers in the country, so why not?
Those are my thoughts as well. This isn't like the last two promotions. Previously we knew, given the constraints the club was operating under, that we were punching well above our weight and mere survival was an achievement. Now we'll have the same infrastructure of clubs like Norwich, Swansea, Cardiff, etc and I don't think it's unrealistic to expect us to emulate them.

The good news is that we know already that we'll be in Championship next season so we can start planning accordingly now (scouting players etc). Previously the issue of what division we'd be in wasn't cut and dried so early.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
i think Poyet will be aiming a lot higher than that and although I understand what you are saying, Poyet will not be at the club if we end the season 4th from bottom
We're not there yet...

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
league one easy! but i wanted to know what people think the state of brighton will be like in the championship? i think with the crop of youngsters and championship quality players (Elliott Bennett, Ashley Barnes, Iñigo Calderón, Glenn Murray, Craig Noone, Liam Bridcutt, etc) means that we could be up there for a long time.

but what do others think? do people think we could do a blackpool or are we going to struggle assuming we don't have a much difference squad?

Having watched the team develop, and play some really neat, passing football, I can see us doing extremely well in the Championship next season.
Murray is getting better by the game, as is Barnes, if we keep this up, I can see us being in the top 10 all season.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Most promoted teams from this division seem to have taken the momentum on into the Championship and done very well - I don't recall any recent examples of a team going up from League One and crashing straight back down again.

If we finish the job and go up, we've got a LOT of major factors in our favour for next season. I'm not saying we'll be challenging the top of the division, but I certainly don't see us battling against the drop. Unlike previous seasons when we were punching WELL above our weight just to be in the Championsip, this time we are MORE than equipped to deal with it and compete at that level.

The first example was last season, Peterborough. Many others too.

I would love it if we could challenge for Play-offs, but we have to be realistic. If we avoid relegation I will be happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here