Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This season's budget compared to last

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
its all irrelevant.

If Barber says the budget is comparable then it probably is. The lack of permanent signings has nothing to do with budget.

Oscar has said that the reason is that he didnt have time to properly assess his current playing staff. He wanted to see what he had before he started buying/ loaning. Seems sensible to me.

Yes, in terms of our budget and he way the book is kept we are probably still paying for a bit of CMS and a bit of Ulloa over the course of their contract.

Sure, if Ulloa cost £2M on a four your contract then it's £500Kpa until his contract is up/extended. If you go paying players off/to leave (as we may have done with Harley) then haven't you got the severance payment and (assuming you paid a fee when they joined the club) an asset write-off cost to "absorb" into the P&L?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
On the Wayne Bridge figure; what I heard, was that we were paying 10% of his £90k a week salary. So £9k, rather than £10-15k.

I think you point is a very valid one. It hard to see how our spending is equivalent to last year. "In line" would appear to be the line between two points, the first being what we spent last season, and the second being the wages that would have given us a breakeven return on the season. We may well be on that line, but somewhat closer to the 2nd point, than the first.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I imagine we have a bit in reserve for January when we will probably have to spend big improving the contracts of Bridcutt, Orlandi, Buckley and most of all Leo to keep them with us.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Harley wages were in the 5 figures per week. (higher end). He was not the highest earner at the club, and took a pay cut to come from Swansea.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know this has been discussed and debated a lot but I thought it might be useful to actually look at how much FFP is affecting us/how much Barber is cutting back on the budget.

OUT
Vicente - big wages
Harley - big wages
Dobbie - big wages
Bridge - 10-15k?
Hammond - medium wages?
Dicker - small wages
Painter - small wages
Adgestein - small wages
Bergkamp - small wages
Rodgers - small wages
Kasim - small wages

IN
Maksimenko - small wages
Andrews - medium wages?
Ward - medium wages?
Agustien - medium wages?
Chicksen - small wages
Ince - promotion to first team, wage increase?
--

Upson and Lopez were re-signings, so not worth putting in IN or OUT really, other than for signing on fees.
Last year we spent what, £2.5-3m on fees, compared to nothing (?) this season, and a wage bill that certainly looks like it should’ve gone down quite a way.

We definitely don’t look like having anywhere near the same budget as last year. Barber used the phrase “in line”. That’s very vague, and certainly not the same as saying “the same” or “identical”.

This isn’t a moan, just good to see if we can get a fairly definitive list, and people are constantly discussing this year/last year’s budgets while forgetting the number of players out.

not much incurred re agents fees this season to date i would have thought as against the 836k spent last season

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How much did we get in transfer fees last year in total? 850k for Jobbie and how much for Noone?

Surely, Dobbie was this season's revenue?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Ulloa and Upson arrived in cJan so their pay would only be for a small part of last season but for all of this. Also Upson may have been paid a signing on fee this year and/or his pay may be higher than paid under loan arrangements.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Harley wages were in the 5 figures per week. (higher end). He was not the highest earner at the club, and took a pay cut to come from Swansea.

Really?!

Harley signed for Swansea from Exeter in January 2011 and was then promptly loaned back to his former club for the rest of the season before joining the Albion in the summer of that year - as the Daily Mail reported in October 2011 that the average Championship wage was £4,059- a week I find it difficult to believe he was on £10,000+ with us and on even more at Swansea as you imply!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we can hang in there to the next window then you'd hope Oscar will bring in a couple of quality signings. It looks as though we have the budget for it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
its all irrelevant.

If Barber says the budget is comparable then it probably is. The lack of permanent signings has nothing to do with budget.

Oscar has said that the reason is that he didnt have time to properly assess his current playing staff. He wanted to see what he had before he started buying/ loaning. Seems sensible to me.

Agreed, we've plugged the gaps on the players we lost/let go in the summer, Oscar will see where we are in January and then might spend some more money on whet he thinks we will need to challenge depending on our league position.

Thats what I'm hoping anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here