This season squad-over hyped?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Every year we seem to think our squad is better than they are! Take last summer and MA's signings. The majority of us believed that MA had improved our team and that we had a squad that could get us in to the top 6! Well......that didn't quite happen now did it! But what of our Squad this year? how does it stand to other squads in the league? are any of our players the best in there given postions in the league?

Heres my L1 Best 11:

GK: Von Williams (Stockport)
DL: Jimmy Mc (The Albion)
DC: Paul Robinson (Millwall)
DC: Askou (Norwich)
DR: Muty (S"aints")

ML: Snodgrass (Leeds)
MR: Wes Hoolahan (Norwich)
MC: Kilkenny (Leeds)
MC: Racon (Charlton) or Kay (Hudders)

S: Beckford (leeds)
S: Lambert (B. Rovers)

So only one Albion player in my league 1 best 11! To me shows the scale of the task ahead of us this season. But i do think its possible to finish in the top 6. but it will come down to how we work as a unite, as in my opinion we can't rely on individual talent. What do you think?

Doom & Gloom....................... Come on Sunshine cheer up, We aint Kicked a Ball yet. :hammer:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Good points but don't forget Adams inherited only 3 or 4 players deemed capable for 1st team dutys (Mayo, Hart, Walton, Thomas). I think Slade has inherited a nucleus of players which give him a far better starting point with midfield the only major weakness. Dicker should settle straight back in and I'm confident the new signings will improve on Loft and Fraser.

It's a strong division but I'm optimistic a good start will see us in play off contention.:ascarf:

Good point.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The big thing about the way Slade has gone about his business in the market is that I can see the point in all of our signings, and those that we let go, even his handling of the Lynch and Harding situations. The only anomaly is letting Sullivan go but it shouldn't be a big deal with Graeme Smith plus Kuipers.

Overall, in terms of addressing problems, getting rid of deadwood, bringing in good players I feel this is the best pre-season since Adams assembled the promotion team of 2000.
Totally agree with this. I think he's assembled a hungry looking side, with real competition in all areas and without really breaking the bank in the same way Huddersfield were threatening to do.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
When we won the 2nd Championship I doubt more than one of our players would have got into the best team in the League pre-season, having the best players doesn't necessarily make the best team.

You're right...and our squad for the coming season is not dissimilar to our squad of 2001/02.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
OK.The season hasn't even started,but I'll have a go :

Kuipers,Virgo,Virgo Virgo,Virgo,Virgo(capt.),Virgo,Virgo,Virgo,Virgo,Virgo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports