Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] This mixed doubles snooker thing on ITV

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I would pay good money to see a game of killer incorporating the top 40 players in the world.

Sort of like a Royal Rumble of snooker.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
off.jpg

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It would only help if this was actually a thread about what’s on telly. Which it isn’t.

Lovely day for a walk in the park too. Bound to be some local football on or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Is there any reason why men are better at snooker than women . Could the height of the table make any difference an average woman is shorter than an average man . Are you allowed to stand on a box ?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Doubles is a format that least lends itself to snooker.

Momentum, rhythm, confidence and feel for the occasion go right out of the window. Partners can barely communicate due to the Sshhhness of the game, and it certainly feels there is no real competitive edge.

One gets a clue by the sponsor (multi-language) as to where this idea originated.

Really surprised ITV put it on the main channel, and not on ITV4 at 3am. For anyone worried, I switched to Plymouth v Ipswich ages ago.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Watched a bit of it today. Total nonsense.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Momentum, rhythm, confidence and feel for the occasion go right out of the window. Partners can barely communicate due to the Sshhhness of the game, and it certainly feels there is no real competitive edge.

One gets a clue by the sponsor (multi-language) as to where this idea originated.

Really surprised ITV put it on the main channel, and not on ITV4 at 3am. For anyone worried, I switched to Plymouth v Ipswich ages ago.

There's your problem right there.

"Why didn't you take the green ?"
"I couldn't see it. The red was in the way"
"You could've driven a bus through that gap, love"
"Oh right. Like that stupid PINK you rattled in the last frame"
"You knew I wanted to take a safety there"
"No you didn't. I said take the blue, but 'oh no', you had to go for the risky one in the top corner"
"Do you know what, why don't you climb back on that horse you rode in on, and f*ck off back to the foyer ?"
"Oh you'd like that wouldn't you. YOU bollocks up the frame, and I'M the one who has to...."

...repeat to fade...

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Is there any reason why men are better at snooker than women . Could the height of the table make any difference an average woman is shorter than an average man . Are you allowed to stand on a box ?

No, absolutely not. But it will be fun to see when some people lose their shit over a trans-women daring to play in the women's game.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Spatial ability. Same as in most games.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

I used to play regularly snooker doubles with mates probably close to nearly 30 years ago now (hardly a new idea, or format)

As to why they held this - I think they referred to this event as being a way to help promote the female snooker players and game more into the spotlight. (They've probably seen the boost that the Women's Euro's has had for their domestic game, and are hopeful events like this might help Women's snooker break through into the mainstream too)

Allison Fisher used to be one of the top female players back in the 90's, winning multipe women's world championships, but she ended up quitting despite acheiving a lot of success and instead turned to playing pool in the US, as simply there was very little money to be made from playing womens snooker

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well. I watched a bit of it and enjoyed it. Maybe that's because there's not been any snooker on for a few months, but the format seemed better than other attempts i've seen to make snooker tournaments stand out from the crowd more.

autopsyturvey

Feb 24, 2018
I enjoyed it enough but didn't bother with the final. Best thing was the team name of Judd Trump and On Mee Ng being "Trump/On Mee" which made me giggle [emoji4]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here