Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Do you think it should be:
"Neither of the sentences are wrong"
or
"Neither of the sentences is wrong"?

Grammatically it should be "Neither of the sentences is wrong" (though I disagree with the statement!).

Similarly it would be "Either of the sentences is accurate", not "Either are accurate."

The same goes for "None of the sentences is wrong," not "None are wrong," 'none' being a contraction of 'not one.'

Usually I don't much care, but on a thread where people are explicitly criticising grammar they're asking for trouble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
'neither are' sounds more normal (to me anyway.......)
It says 'is' is more traditional, but your link has an example of Shakespeare using 'are' (I appreciate the sentence is not the same as mine - we have a different writing style):
"Thersites' body is as good as Ajax',/ When neither are alive." — William Shakespeare

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Grammatically it should be "Neither of the sentences is wrong" (though I disagree with the statement!).

Similarly it would be "Either of the sentences is accurate", not "Either are accurate."
But here is the thing - you wouldn't say "Both of the sentences is accurate", you'd say "Both of the sentences are accurate", and 'neither' can be the opposite of both 'either' and 'both'.

And why do you disagree with the statement?

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
It says 'is' is more traditional, but you're link has an example of Shakespeare using 'are' (I appreciate the sentence is not the same as mine - we have a different writing style):
"Thersites' body is as good as Ajax',/ When neither are alive." — William Shakespeare

'...you're link...'? Your just teasing now, Shirley.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
But here is the thing - you wouldn't say "Both of the sentences is accurate", you'd say "Both of the sentences are accurate", and 'neither' can be the opposite of both 'either' and 'both'.

And why do you disagree with the statement?

Etymologically I think 'neither' is a contraction of 'not either', as 'none' is of 'not one', hence why 'is' is used.

The only reason I said I disagreed with the statement was that I thought you were tricking me into confirming your argument!

It's nice to debate something that isn't particularly important; so tired of Brexit, Trump conversations :)

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Does anyone like me, find that when you pass cafes with spelling mistakes
on blackboards (showing their menu) you simply have to change it?

It's a bloody good laugh because you can have a rant if anyone has a go at you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Etymologically I think 'neither' is a contraction of 'not either'
I can see how that makes sense, but I think we can also use 'neither' as the negative counterpart of 'both'.

The only reason I said I disagreed with the statement was that I thought you were tricking me into confirming your argument!
Er, ok :eek: :)

It's nice to debate something that isn't particularly important
I think I have spent 90% of my life doing just that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:lol: Never done that. Do you carry your own chalk just in case?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It's a bloody good laugh because you can have a rant if anyone has a go at you.

I've done it - particularly where they've used a grocer's apostrophe.......just a modest erasing of the offending punctuation mark [emoji3]

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I've done it - particularly where they've used a grocer's apostrophe.......just a modest erasing of the offending punctuation mark [emoji3]

Coriander seems to be universally misspelt - for some reason with a double 'r'. Jeez that winds me up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here