Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This is utterly ridiculous

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why not just ditch the offside rule?

I’m all for that. Like a lot of the laws of the game they were brought in for that time. Laws have been changed over the years, like the back pass to the keeper, keeper 4 steps and ball in the quadrant for corners, admittedly those changes were all made to appease cheats, so why not do away with offside?
What purpose does it serve in modern professional football?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This would be the easiest part of VAR to sort out.

Introduce 'Assistant Referees call'. If the assistant referee keeps his flag down and any part of the attackers and defenders bodies overlap, regardless of who is in front, he is onside. If the flag goes up, the attacker has to be behind the defender as normal, or he is offside.

Simples

Someone please send this to the FA

You know what I’d like to send to the FA? The whole VAR control room wrapped in an enormous, brown, humming Douglas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I’m all for that. Like a lot of the laws of the game they were brought in for that time. Laws have been changed over the years, like the back pass to the keeper, keeper 4 steps and ball in the quadrant for corners, admittedly those changes were all made to appease cheats, so why not do away with offside?
What purpose does it serve in modern professional football?

Stops forwards from standing on the goalline.

I like the offside law. I think without it the game would be a lot more like watching Route 1 Wimbledon under Bassett.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This would be the easiest part of VAR to sort out.

Introduce 'Assistant Referees call'. If the assistant referee keeps his flag down and any part of the attackers and defenders bodies overlap, regardless of who is in front, he is onside. If the flag goes up, the attacker has to be behind the defender as normal, or he is offside.

Simples

Someone please send this to the FA

Not so simples, in the second part of your example you appear to be asking for the flag to go up when someone is onside, or you’ve badly worded it, or I’ve misread what you’re saying.... so no, not simples!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Forget armpits just change the law to feet only. At least it is more relevant.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Surely goals are what excite people, it's one of the major attractions of going to a football match. We should be making it easier not harder and also suspending the excitement until VAR has confirmed it's a goal.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Stops forwards from standing on the goalline.

I like the offside law. I think without it the game would be a lot more like watching Route 1 Wimbledon under Bassett.

Sorry, do you really think in the modern professional game someone would goal hang?

Might have happened in the era of Dennis Law and Jimmy Greaves, but so much more is expected of a modern forward then standing in the 6 yard box and toe poking in a goal mouth scramble.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I know you’re being facetious but armpits aren’t included, nor are arms, only parts of the body you can score with.

Not according to the line on post one.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Hopefully at the end of the season they'll realise that VAR is ruining football with just as many contentious decisions now as when we didn't have it before, but we just got on with the game and accepted the ref's decision (albeit sometimes reluctantly) with little or no delay.

I loved sitting in the pub after a game debating the match and sometimes the contentious issues we thought the ref may or may not have got right - now I'm in the pub discussing all the subjective issues VAR decisions are throwing up, but that take far longer to give than before. Coupled with the lack of information given at the ground - it is completely frustrating.

It was summed up a few weeks ago when one of our goals was chalked off due to a VAR call and we in the ground weren't made clear why it was disallowed. A guy near us called his brother in New York who was watching a stream of the game and was told it was for 'offside'. There's more information thousands of miles away than there is for the supporters in the stadium.

No reason why the authorities can't be brave and just ditch it and go back to how things were before. Was football really so awful last season and before that we had to bring this in? For me - goal line technology YES, Var NO.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not so simples, in the second part of your example you appear to be asking for the flag to go up when someone is onside, or you’ve badly worded it, or I’ve misread what you’re saying.... so no, not simples!

You've misread. It is simple.

If the linesman puts his flag up, it stays offside unless the attacker is onside in which case it is overruled. That bit is the same as present. The first part is what happens if the attacker is slightly offside, then the result depends on what the linesman does

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, do you really think in the modern professional game someone would goal hang?

Might have happened in the era of Dennis Law and Jimmy Greaves, but so much more is expected of a modern forward then standing in the 6 yard box and toe poking in a goal mouth scramble.

So much more is expected of a modern forward because they have to deal with the offside rule, not in spite of it. They have to be fast, savvy, be able to outwit defenders and beat them for speed. They have to be able to make breaks and find space, they need good ball control skills. With no offside all you'll need is a big lump of a lamppost who can take a high ball and knock it in. Or maybe lay it off if you want a multi-talented striker.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Yep, applying too much precision to something that needs a margin. There have been studies already that show it’s impossible to pinpoint the exact position of the ‘offside’ player as the ball is played because the player can move a certain distance whilst the ball is in contact with the players foot........

Using the above example, I think the ‘offside’ line needs to be thicker (equating to maybe a foot/18 inches) and unless the player has something ahead of that then it’s not deemed ‘clear and obvious’ so not called offside.

Seeing your're asking for the offside line to be thicker, perhaps they should introduce VAR for the long jump???:whistle:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I agree with you.

I'd like to see no offsides trialled.

I think it's fair to say the play would be less compressed and it would take while to used to the gaping gaps in the midfield. Players would have to get fitter as transitions from defence to attack happened much more quickly, but this is happening already, with the new goal kick rule, the way we and other teams are trying to play through more open midfields is absolutely thrilling.

Matches under no offsides would surely be based on counter attacking and I think would resemble the last 5 or 10 minutes of a 1-0 match at the moment. There will be sides who try putting a 6 foot 8 guy next to the keeper, but teams I think would soon reason that you lose more in terms of pace and fitness than you gain from the 1950s approach. Ref's as they do now, will look out for the keepers

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You've misread. It is simple.

If the linesman puts his flag up, it stays offside unless the attacker is onside in which case it is overruled. That bit is the same as present. The first part is what happens if the attacker is slightly offside, then the result depends on what the linesman does

So if the linesman doesn't flag it gets looked at to see if he's wrong, if he does flag it gets looked at to see if he's wrong!

Isn't that exactly what is happening with VAR except the linesman isn't flagging and letting VAR make the decision instead.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So if the linesman doesn't flag it gets looked at to see if he's wrong, if he does flag it gets looked at to see if he's wrong!

Isn't that exactly what is happening with VAR except the linesman isn't flagging and letting VAR make the decision instead.

No, come on. Our issue is offsides being overruled 2 minutes after goal celebrated for 1cm offsides. Under my proposed revisions this would almost never happen

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So much more is expected of a modern forward because they have to deal with the offside rule, not in spite of it. They have to be fast, savvy, be able to outwit defenders and beat them for speed. They have to be able to make breaks and find space, they need good ball control skills. With no offside all you'll need is a big lump of a lamppost who can take a high ball and knock it in. Or maybe lay it off if you want a multi-talented striker.

The exact opposite could be said of the centre back. I have played that position up to county level and know, even at that level, the skill required to push up on a striker to get them offside. With the way VAR is looking at things that skill is being diminished and centre backs have more doubt in their minds for pushing up as they know their decision will be scrutinised by VAR.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Works with cricket and umpires call.

Personally I would say that it should stay with the lino´s call unless VAR shows it to be wrong with the eye´s view (give VAR 5 seconds to change the decision if obvious) - forget these stupid lines

Completely agree.

Personally I'd bin off VAR, but if we keep it, then the emphasis should be to eliminate the howler decision. That means the ref should be able to see one replay from the main camera on the half way line. If watching that replay once doesn't convince him he's made a mistake, get on with the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here