This is the perfect opportunity for the likes of Agdestein and Barker to have their moment

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Premier League clubs will know we're desperate for a loan striker , if they're willing to loan out a player it will cost big bucks.
and you have decided that will be £40k a week, or do you already know:-

The exact wage of all strikers.
The level of cost Brighton are prepared to pay.
The percentage the parent club is prepared to pay.
The wage demands of all strikers wishing to be loaned to Brighton.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Clearly Mr Poyet doesn't agree with your assessment of Barker.

Clearly? What gives you the impression you can state with clarity that Poyet disagrees with BG? Because he's been on the bench lately? Big deal, he's sub 7 of 7 with no hope of getting on the pitch. He's there to make up the numbers and give him some experience, if there was any intention to get him on then surely 0-0 away at the bottom of the table team was it? If he really was all that, he'd have been given a chance. He went on loan to Barnet and was returned having barely kicked a ball, why was that do we think? I have no reason to criticise George, or praise him as I haven't seen him. But I wouldn't speak with any clarity.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
and you have decided that will be £40k a week, or do you already know:-

The exact wage of all strikers.
The level of cost Brighton are prepared to pay.
The percentage the parent club is prepared to pay.
The wage demands of all strikers wishing to be loaned to Brighton.

Any decent striker at a Premier League club even in the 25 named squad but not a regular in the first 11 will be on a fair wedge. At this late stage of the season a parent club will want most if not all of the wages paid for. Hypothetically , if we say we went for Odemwingie do you think WBA would let him play for us if we were only prepared to pay 50% of his wages but might consider it if we paid all his wages ?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Clearly? What gives you the impression you can state with clarity that Poyet disagrees with BG? Because he's been on the bench lately? Big deal, he's sub 7 of 7 with no hope of getting on the pitch. He's there to make up the numbers and give him some experience, if there was any intention to get him on then surely 0-0 away at the bottom of the table team was it? If he really was all that, he'd have been given a chance. He went on loan to Barnet and was returned having barely kicked a ball, why was that do we think? I have no reason to criticise George, or praise him as I haven't seen him. But I wouldn't speak with any clarity.

BG stated that Barker wasn't good enough even for a short time on the bench. I disagree, based on the fact that I have seen him a few times this season and that I believe that Gus would not even have him anywhere near the bench unless his performances justified his selection. Personally, at this stage of the season, an experienced forward would be preferable, but until we get one I personally don't have a problem seeing young talent, schooled in the way Poyet likes to play, being given a chance.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
BG stated that Barker wasn't good enough even for a short time on the bench. I disagree, based on the fact that I have seen him a few times this season and that I believe that Gus would not even have him anywhere near the bench unless his performances justified his selection. Personally, at this stage of the season, an experienced forward would be preferable, but until we get one I personally don't have a problem seeing young talent, schooled in the way Poyet likes to play, being given a chance.

Ultimately, I would give Barker a chance too. I do agree that he wouldn't be on the bench if Gus didn't think he warranted it, and I also agree we could do with someone with experience. But every player has to start somewhere, and Barker is the best alternative option we have at the moment. Should Ulloa need to come off on saturday. It's a massive burden of responsibility on Ulloa having only just come here, but if he's the type of sort who thrives under pressure then this could be perfect for him and he could go off on a Zamora style 12 game consecutive scoring run... Or crumble like a child like Colin Hawkins. We'll see!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
if we say we went for Odemwingie do you think WBA would let him play for us if we were only prepared to pay 50% of his wages but might consider it if we paid all his wages ?
Up until he came on last weekend I'd have said WBA would have paid 90% of his wages, just to get him out of the club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barker has been on the bench because Gus likes to get young players to gain the experience of mixing with the first team, hence March has been on the bench also but anybody would expect that he would be well behind Buckley and Lua Lua or even JFC in the pecking order. It is one thing travelling with the team and another being picked to play and be expected to produce the goods.

Ulloa's Soul Patch

The Cyclone!
Mar 5, 2013
Just above the chin.
I don't understand why we would loan someone in we only play one striker most of the time, and if need be we could stick Toby or Barker on for a run-around (Chances are they'll play there hearts out to get a chance to play more first-team football) Also the like of Buckley and Vicente would be capable strikers so...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Odemwingie is a complete twat, I dont want him wearing a Brighton shirt
Take that up with [MENTION=3779]seagullsovergrimsby[/MENTION], I'm merely pointing out how ludicrous his unfounded financial assertions are.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm not totally against trying Lua Lua down the middle, his pace against big centre halves, just an idea.

Still think a loan signing is the best option but Buckley often works his trade down the middle so why not Lua Lua.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I would say now is the worst ever opportunity to give unproven players a 'run out'. I actually think we have enough options with Barnes or Buckley as a striker so Barker wouldn't even find himself in the team in the worst case scenario (ulloa injured) , but if Gus wants one more to help secure a playoff spot then I would MUCH rather he got a loan in than relied on unproven players.

Now's not the time to experiment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports