Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is only a rumour...but

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
I emphasise it's a rumour..........

I heard on a grapevine that if The Falmer decision was not forthcoming by the end of September it will be a no to Falmer but a yes to another location. Linked to this is, that the lease for the Sportsman finishes next year and there may be a plan to demolish it- turn the pitch through 90 degrees and rebuild a new stadium lengthways to the present configuration.

For me its a load of tosh, we will get Falmer, however, an interesting concept - maybe.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sigull said:
I emphasise it's a rumour..........

I heard on a grapevine that if The Falmer decision was not forthcoming by the end of September it will be a no to Falmer but a yes to another location. Linked to this is, that the lease for the Sportsman finishes next year and there may be a plan to demolish it- turn the pitch through 90 degrees and rebuild a new stadium lengthways to the present configuration.

For me its a load of tosh, we will get Falmer, however, an interesting concept - maybe.
:yawn:

D

Deleted User X18H

The biggest load of old tosh I have ever heard .................but just in case its true ..........................where do we play during lengthy renovations.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tricky Dicky said:
That does not sounds plausable to me - there are too many people around there with connections who won't let there be a big stadium on a permanent basis.

The site fails on Space / Costs / Transport to name three. Need we go over all this again?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Sigull said:
Linked to this is, that the lease for the Sportsman finishes next year and there may be a plan to demolish it- turn the pitch through 90 degrees and rebuild a new stadium lengthways to the present configuration.

So the running track and nature reserve would be ripped up?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The overwhelming problem with Withdean is the access to the ground through the railway bridge. Planners and safety people take great store in the "flow" of people and a report said that during the period after a game, the maximum flow of people that can safely go through the tunnel is 7000 ( assuming lots of people do not go that way, we are well withing)

An argument wa sput forward that instead of spending millions on a new stadium, we could spend a fraction of that on Withdean andwiden the bridge...this disruption to rail services rules that out straight away.

On the other hand, I heard that idea about the Sportsman and development from a council employee ( who is actually quite high up) but there is no political will to follow it through, so its a dead duck

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sigull said:
Nowhere meaningfull _ Gatwick Airport PR. Dept. ???

'Cos they'll be in the know.

Might as well ask my Dad his opinion, he knows bugger-all about the whole process other than what I've told him, and is still certain it'll be a 'No' to Falmer.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yoda said:
Me thinks the Athletics clubs would have something to say about that. :glare:

You mean if they offered to build a new stadium at Withdean with a running track and facilities, the Athletic Club would object?

( Devils advocate)

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I cant see this happening, although there has been rumours about the Sportsmans being closed and knocked down for AGES.

Not surprised really, its only having us there thats kept the place going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here