Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Uss_theodore_roosevelt_cvn-71.jpg

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Blimey. I know they're expecting trouble in London, but thats a bit over the top isn't it?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Jolly good, more than enough fire power to level that shithole.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
there was something on south today about it yesterday

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I know Portmouth has its knockers but the harbour is fantastic. Sitting outside the Still & West, pint in hand, watching that trying to get in the harbour would be excellent.

7615f8e939ebfcaeec561b5d0e63dfe5.jpg

I know Portmouth has its knockers but the harbour is fantastic. Sitting outside the Still & West, pint in hand, watching that trying to get in the harbour would be excellent.

7615f8e939ebfcaeec561b5d0e63dfe5.jpg

hasn't it been there before?

I remember something similar in about 1984 turning up, and it only got into the harbour with about a foot leeway either side.

And it was feckin HUGE.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Was parked at Spithead probably about 1984. Remember racing past it quite close, it's massive. Probably get shot out of the water if you got that close nowadays. Bit over the top, do they think we can't look after their President. Still the Pompy birds can give them a few STD's to take home. :whistle:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
When I worked in Portsmouth another US aircraft carrier came to visit. Apparently it was too big to enter the harbour so it parked in the solent just outside. That was the Harry S Truman IIRC - nimitz class I think.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'd love to see it try to get through the Corinth Canal.

db_CorinthCanal1.jpg

we did the Corinth canal last year. Went through it and then back again on a tourist boat.....its is mightily impressive and the water a very odd shade of blue from the minerals in teh banks.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Isnt the Issenhower a Nimitz Class too?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One night my wife,my mother and I were in a restaurant in Limassol and a drunken American was telling us that he was the captain of the Harry S Truman and had been told to anchor off of Limmasol and let everybody go ashore. He said that they had just arrived from Turkish waters but he didnt know what was happening but it was something special. We just laughed it off as a drunken yank but the next day the first Gulf war started so perhaps he was telling the truth.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I do hope that none of those nice sailors make the mistake of going ashore in Pompey

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I remember in the early 80's the US Navy would pay a visit to Pompey and BT would have to pay out lashings of overtime when 8-10,000 Yanks on 2 warships were taking liberty leave as they kept us working flat out placing Collect calls back to the US on a 24/7 basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here