Deepest, darkest Sussex
aQe5V4bw_700w_0.jpg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
FE/HE, what a smart arse you are...

Thanks! [emoji4]

I'm sorry if this doesnt include the claptrap that jobsworths at Universities trade in but it might make my Students working lives a bit easier.

I see gender politics influenced lectures like this advertised at my institution at least weekly. I don’t think there is anything to get worked up about.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
its looks like a fringe event, tangentially related to architecture from social perspective led by a criminologist. if its not of interest, ignore.

Unfortunately, it is one of the many, many events that my University indulges in and wastes their resources. I would estimate 90% of my University emails are concerned with this sort of bullshit.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
And here I am trying to lecture my students on issues in the construction field such as exposure to Asbestos, Silica Dust, Noise and Hand Arm Vibration.

I knew I couldn't cut it in FE...

Reclaim Holloway is hosting four panel discussions throughout June at the London Festival of Architecture. Dr Rachel Seoighe from the University of Kent, an associate member of the Gender, Deviance and Society research group at Greenwich, will moderating the conversations and with some incredible speakers across architecture, women's services and rights, criminology and the women in construction movement.

To be totally honest, after sitting through similar talks about Asbestos, etc etc and health and safety at least twice a year.
Actually that sounds far more interesting to be honest :thumbsup:

PS I know of several female floorlayers, my wife works for Camden Council regeneration dept and is in charge of several site.
She has to deal with sexism every day from site, architectes, council workers, councillors right across the board.
Frankly I think it is about time.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
FE/HE, what a smart arse you are...

Basically the course won't get accredited unless I'm (or someone else with my professional qualifications) on it.

I'm lecturing, by the way, to put back 35 years of knowledge of my profession to my Students.

I'm sorry if this doesnt include the claptrap that jobsworths at Universities trade in but it might make my Students working lives a bit easier.

Great that you want to put back in 35 years of knowledge and experience. I am just not clear why you feel threatened by pulling in new people with new ideas. You need to do nothing more than skim read and delete. It is entirely up to you, whether you choose to be wound up by this.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I'm out on a Construction Site shortly to do some Silica Dust and Noise Monitoring (my proper job when not doing University Shit).

I can say with some confidence that the Workforce won't be discussing Gender, Devience and Society issues when we are having a Tea Break.

Sorry if this offends some of the more sensitive bods on here...

Would I be right in thinking that you also won't be discussing exposure to Asbestos, Silica Dust, Noise and Hand Arm Vibration on that lovely Tea Break either?

You seem angry that women are daring to want to work in your field of expertise, or is it just that you are uncomfortable with people bothering to think about how to make such a thing an enjoyable experience for everyone?

It does mean that those happy hours you have spent discussing boobs and so on with the lads over the last few decades will no longer be possible, but ask yourself this: are you mourning the loss of a man only environment or mourning the loss of your youth instead?

Who knows, maybe if you have women there during your tea break they might actually want to talk about exposure to Asbestos, Silica Dust, Noise and Hand Arm Vibration? Or knitting, they always want to talk about knitting.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
And here I am trying to lecture my students on issues in the construction field such as exposure to Asbestos, Silica Dust, Noise and Hand Arm Vibration.

I knew I couldn't cut it in FE...

Reclaim Holloway is hosting four panel discussions throughout June at the London Festival of Architecture. Dr Rachel Seoighe from the University of Kent, an associate member of the Gender, Deviance and Society research group at Greenwich, will moderating the conversations and with some incredible speakers across architecture, women's services and rights, criminology and the women in construction movement.

Is there a zoom link to this discussion? It sounds quite interesting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
all about box ticking.

There’s even one officiating at the Euros. Where will it end? Rammed down our throats Etc etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm out on a Construction Site shortly to do some Silica Dust and Noise Monitoring (my proper job when not doing University Shit).

I can say with some confidence that the Workforce won't be discussing Gender, Devience and Society issues when we are having a Tea Break.

I don't think it OFFENDS anybody, in the slightest.

I think they are just struggling to see your issue, with a University that runs solid construction related courses, including dry but essential H&S elements, also hosting theoretical fringe discussions, in loosely related fields? :shrug:

My twopenneth, FWIW, based on my own 25 years on construction sites, is that they would be a significantly more pleasant environment with a bit more female input. Men tend to act a little less like ***** with women around.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

You can't out yourself as a massive misogynist and then say sorry if it offends the sensitive bods. Or the more forward thinking as I'd prefer to put it.

Sounds like you don't like the university or the trade you lecture in so why do it? Try writing for Jim Davidson or something.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I'm still confused.

Is the OP annoyed that some very learned people are hosting a talk about feminism and architecture whilst he teaches construction? Because unless I'm being obtuse it really seems like those are different if overlapping subjects (of which, obviously, women have a place in both).

Genuinely, what is the issue? (Unless of course it's just straight up sexism in which case get in the sea)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Would I be right in thinking that you also won't be discussing exposure to Asbestos, Silica Dust, Noise and Hand Arm Vibration on that lovely Tea Break either?

You seem angry that women are daring to want to work in your field of expertise, or is it just that you are uncomfortable with people bothering to think about how to make such a thing an enjoyable experience for everyone?

It does mean that those happy hours you have spent discussing boobs and so on with the lads over the last few decades will no longer be possible, but ask yourself this: are you mourning the loss of a man only environment or mourning the loss of your youth instead?

Who knows, maybe if you have women there during your tea break they might actually want to talk about exposure to Asbestos, Silica Dust, Noise and Hand Arm Vibration? Or knitting, they always want to talk about knitting.

Lots of women work in my field of expertise, in fact the latest President of our Professional Body is a Woman and almost certainly better at her job than me.

I don't know quite how this thread got diverted to this subject, I just wanted to point out the ludicrous psychobabble that infests University discourse.

I have a Zoom Meeting in 30 minutes that will no doubt take over an hour, I would wager that we don't talk about students for more than 10 minutes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unfortunately, it is one of the many, many events that my University indulges in and wastes their resources. I would estimate 90% of my University emails are concerned with this sort of bullshit.

Could it not be the case that by indulging in such events, as a progress seat of higher learning, your university is actually generating resources?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
On a different note, can I just thank the OP for setting up a lovely rant for me to get my woke-ass teeth into on a Friday morning. These months between end of relegation fight and the transfer window slamming shut are always the hardest to get through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here