Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This Is A Public Health Information Notice On Behalf Of...

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Under that rationale you're never safe in any situation from anything.

People are never going to be any safer from covid than they are once they have been vaccinated. Ever.

I'm not sure what you are trying to advocate here. Do you expect people to live in fear for the rest of their lives?

People need to get real here. If you're vaccinated, you're as safe as you're ever going to be. There's no point living in fear anymore - and if you're that scared of dying from covid, then you need to stop going to events where 30,000 people attend as it's a statistical certainty you will pass people with covid numerous times.

“ People are never going to be any safer from covid than they are once they have been vaccinated. Ever.”

That’s not the case though - there is one important factor that you have ignored and that is how many people in the general population are infected at anyone time.

As more and more people become become resistant to the virus, either through vaccination or having been infected by the virus, then the number of individuals in the general population who are infectious will fall.

We have not yet reached that point, indeed the number of reported cases is actually increasing not declining.

Relaxation of the anti-Covid precautions is helping the numbers to rise and it can be argued, on a selfish basis, that this will shorten the time until the maximum level of herd immunity is achieved and numbers have fallen to the minimum level. That however does not mean that at this point in time if you have been vaccinated then you are as safe now as you will ever be - you aren’t.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But you are safer than you've ever been (since the virus broke out).

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Cases in England are going down

Cases in Scotland are going up - Scotland is driving the UK rise.

Last complete set of data I saw (7 days until the 21st) had cases going up in West Sussex, the South East and England. If it is going down subsequently then great but perhaps we should all be taking steps to keep it that way? Plus we have schools back next week.

Anyone who thinks the government won't flip and start legislating for more restrictions again if the mood music changes really hasn't been paying attention for the last 18 months.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Mask wearers are relentlessly hostile, aggressive and abusive on this thread.

Is there an air of resentment that we have been enjoying life that little bit more since freedom day, whereas the mask wearers have been peer pressured into wearing a filthy piece of fabric over their chops for little to no reason other than the false pretense of reducing the spread of a virus which really doesn't matter that much anymore?

If my enjoyment of life was dependent on exercising my ‘freedom’ to not wear a mask for a few minutes whilst in a crowded indoor space, then I’d be giving myself a long, hard look in the mirror.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Last complete set of data I saw (7 days until the 21st) had cases going up in West Sussex, the South East and England. If it is going down subsequently then great but perhaps we should all be taking steps to keep it that way? Plus we have schools back next week.

Anyone who thinks the government won't flip and start legislating for more restrictions again if the mood music changes really hasn't been paying attention for the last 18 months.
It's all local. If I could be bothered, I could take a look at all the local authority figures in the country and compare them on a daily basis. Bolton and Blackburn were where the coronavirus (delta version) went through the roof first. They're now well below their peak. Other places got into it later and are now at or heading for their peak. The current roughly steady state of infections isn't because every part of the country is showing stable or slightly rising numbers, it's because some parts are going up to the peak and others are past the peak.

Even local authority areas are highly variable. In Pendle, where live, Nelson was driving all the cases in May and June. Then Nelson's cases dropped but the rural parts of the borough went up, partly driven by 27 cases from a do in Barley. Then Colne got it, with twice as many cases as Nelson even though it's half the size. It's all a bit cyclical.

Fortunately deaths are still well below the flu and pneumonia figures, so I try (and succeed) not to let it worry me.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It's all local. If I could be bothered, I could take a look at all the local authority figures in the country and compare them on a daily basis. Bolton and Blackburn were where the coronavirus (delta version) went through the roof first. They're now well below their peak. Other places got into it later and are now at or heading for their peak. The current roughly steady state of infections isn't because every part of the country is showing stable or slightly rising numbers, it's because some parts are going up to the peak and others are past the peak.

Even local authority areas are highly variable. In Pendle, where live, Nelson was driving all the cases in May and June. Then Nelson's cases dropped but the rural parts of the borough went up, partly driven by 27 cases from a do in Barley. Then Colne got it, with twice as many cases as Nelson even though it's half the size. It's all a bit cyclical.

Fortunately deaths are still well below the flu and pneumonia figures, so I try (and succeed) not to let it worry me.

I agree local figures can be skewed by a relatively small outbreak in, for example, a school. I live in Worthing and at various stages it was the best area in the country for avoiding Covid and one of the worst.

Thing is i don't worry about being run over by a bus when crossing the road. I still, however, look both ways before crossing the road.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I agree local figures can be skewed by a relatively small outbreak in, for example, a school. I live in Worthing and at various stages it was the best area in the country for avoiding Covid and one of the worst.

Thing is i don't worry about being run over by a bus when crossing the road. I still, however, look both ways before crossing the road.
So do I. That's why I'm missing out on Turf Moor this year, because my own personal assessment of the risk is that I'm too likely to catch covid there and bring it home to my mother. On the other hand, my personal assessment of risk is also that I can go to Accrington Stanley and stand on the terraces, not wearing a mask. Which may draw howls of abuse from certain posters on this thread.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Partly that was because at the start of the pandemic in the UK there was no supply of cloth masks, and to have the public buying up surgical masks would have left medical professionals with even less supply than they had. Also, it was not understood early on that a significant number of people can be infected and be unaware of that, but would be capable of infecting others.

And the WHO did not recommend the wearing of face masks by healthy people.

Changing their advice on 6th June 2020.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Is there an air of resentment that we have been enjoying life that little bit more since freedom day, whereas the mask wearers have been peer pressured into wearing a filthy piece of fabric over their chops for little to no reason other than the false pretense of reducing the spread of a virus which really doesn't matter that much anymore?

It's hard to imagine how someone can repeatedly and consistently mis-read the room in such a tragic way, time and time again.

No. Any air of resentment you detect is probably because some people are unprepared to do their bit to give us all the best chance of continuing to "enjoy life", not have to suffer the re-imposition of restrictions and protect those who, through just bad luck (old / compromised at the time a pandemic popped up), are genuinely at risk should they become infected.

If your persona on here is an act, then well played - you've absolutely nailed the role of a selfish, uncaring individual lacking in empathy and any shred of social conscience.

If your persona on here is not an act, I genuinely pity you, but am thankful that your sort do seem to be few and far between.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Right, said Fred.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So do I. That's why I'm missing out on Turf Moor this year, because my own personal assessment of the risk is that I'm too likely to catch covid there and bring it home to my mother. On the other hand, my personal assessment of risk is also that I can go to Accrington Stanley and stand on the terraces, not wearing a mask. Which may draw howls of abuse from certain posters on this thread.

Assuming the terraces of Accrington Stanley (who are they, etc.) are more spacious than Turf Moor then I follow your logic.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Don't wear a fabric mask, invest in a medical grade one or FFP2 one. They do help.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
No. During the height of the pandemic, society was at real risk, I took all the necessary precautions to protect others and that included wearing a face mask correctly.

I never wear a mask anymore because there is no need to.

No need to says the UK government.

Most other countries are still insisting on them. Guess the proof will be in the numbers.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
No. During the height of the pandemic, society was at real risk, I took all the necessary precautions to protect others and that included wearing a face mask correctly.

I never wear a mask anymore because there is no need to.

Do people read the news outside of their own little tinpot country, where all news is biased, anymore.

All global pointers point to an INCREASE IN SPIKES over the next year as we get new variants.

The global company I work for (a fortune 500), which major representation in the UK sent round an internal letter on Friday extending the closure of all offices, includes for emergency work, until at least the start of the New Year and all staff to work from home (including sales) until then. No face to face visits at all unless personally agreed on by the division president.

And you say it's time to move on?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Horseshit. You’re far more likely to catch it in a crowded Brighton pub, from your kids/grandkids or the local corner shop.

*virtually everyone attending/travelling to and from the match was either double-jabbed or had a negative test, so risk is absolutely minimal
*sample testing was in place to confirm this
*the concourses didn’t show the early match (well, WSL didn’t and the club pre-match info stated it wouldn’t be shown)
*the train to Lewes post-match was almost empty at 6pm

Anyone really worried about catching Covid now needs to manage their own risk tolerance, not expect the protected vast majority of the population to do it for them. Evidently 5k+ of our ‘loyal fans’ did that by not turning up.

BTW, I wore my mask on the concourse and on the train because I’m happy to contribute a teeny amount to limiting transmission.

I joined the Lewes train queue at 5:40 at the bottom of the slope leading up to the gantry]
3 trains came and went, each packed like a sardine-express
The one I managed to eventually board departed about 6pm, maybe five-past, and was also packed like a sardine express - arrived Lewes 18:12 and relieved to get off.

For anyone who arrived to find it queue-free after 6pm, lucky you.
You had probably been milling around the concourse with the post-match [mostly face mask-free & close proximity] drinkers for an hour.

BTW, I also wore my mask on the WSL concourse and on the train because I’m also happy to contribute a teeny amount to limiting transmission.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Fair enough. Respect for that post :cheers:

Tho I'm not going to stop calling people names. 90% and a bit more of Amex attendees are mask-dodgers, both on the trains and in the concourses. Does that mean I shouldn't go to the Amex and support my team? If it was purely about risk? For sure. I'm old, overweight, asthmatic. Oh and I aim to be in the Canaries in 3 weeks time. But should I just keep me mouth shut and let the mask-dodgers take over the asylum? Never gonna happen. Cheers :cheers:

90% looks a bit made up to me - can't believe 90% of the 30k in attendance all travel to the Amex by train?
Yes, I do know you didn't mean that, but is shows how a poorly constructed message can be interpreted in different ways.

So, I'm going to join in the name calling and call you ... FIBBER

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Its always been like that. One neighbour wants the freedom to listen to music, the other wants the freedom to live without any noise.

We humans are [generally] incredibly resourceful at finding solutions.

Let me ask, if you were the neighbour who did not like noise would you:
a) go round and kill your neighbour [no need for that sort round here]
b) pop round the neighbour and cut off his ears [that'll put paid to his music enjoyment], or
c) buy your neighbour a set of headphones and tactfully/respectfully ask he uses them at every opportunity when listening to music.

Well ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here