This Global warming climate change thing.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Really, just another excuse to tax us. If you believe otherwise you're deluded. Keep eating your lentils, pulses and boring whatever that makes you traf all day like a trooper.
Hybrid cars, solar panels et al are all expensive bullsh1t. We'll all be dead before the financial benefits are realised anyway.
Calm down hand wringers and face reality or just frack off.
Just deserts eh !

Thanks for that Slow Joe, very informative.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
If you want to throw away 1000's of £ investing in a wind turbine etc , please go ahead. You will spend decades in a coffin or urn before you reap the benefit, unless you're 5 yrs old, which I assume you're not , otherwise you'd be in bed by now.
Live for the current my friend, you'll be dead by the time all goes belly up, which it won't. They were probably all wringing their hands 100's of years ago, but hey.
When you're dead, how will it effect you. Selfish but get real.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If you want to throw away 1000's of £ investing in a wind turbine etc , please go ahead. You will spend decades in a coffin or urn before you reap the benefit, unless you're 5 yrs old, which I assume you're not , otherwise you'd be in bed by now.
Live for the current my friend, you'll be dead by the time all goes belly up, which it won't. They were probably all wringing their hands 100's of years ago, but hey.
When you're dead, how will it effect you. Selfish but get real.

An appallingly selfish attitude which luckily many people don't hold. My children are around 5 years old so I will spend my money on trying to give them a decent future, having said that I will do it because I think it is the right thing to do for future generations. On my death bed I will not lay there thinking what a self **** I was during my life.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The damage done to the atmosphere by the billions of tonnes of carbon released by mankind back into said atmosphere is going to take thousands of years to reverse, that is with immediate action.............

How can we expect China , India and Indonesia / Malaysia and other "emerging" countries to stop their slashing , burning , using coal and oil based power systems...?? the answer is we can't , we are imho , ****ed.

The Earth is going to be such a different place in 2000 years , less than a blink of an eye in the time scale of our beautiful planet.......as long as mankind is driven by money/power/greed we are destined for a dust bowl of a planet.

sad but true........i try not to think about it too much.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Good point well made Sydney. We can light up as many barbeques, drive 1000's of miles in our petrol driven cars (as opposed to diesel/hybrid), light as many bonfires as we like and emit more trafs after a spicy indian or four pints of Harveys, and it won't really amount to a hill of beans.
Badfish, in reality, your kids will be fine and enjoy life the same as us, so why make sacrifices which cause you unnecessary hardship now, for no medium term benefit.
Get real please before you have a self imposed aneurism or whatever.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Most of the sensible environmental actions are fairly painless, logical and useful in many ways.

As you say most are quite logical and most people nowadays try and do their bit.But what about environmental actions that are not sensible? If you push to the extreme of the spectrum sending our recycled waste to some far flung country only for some poor sap to have to crawl through the filth to earn a living or making the lives of the less than better off in this country even harder because their fuel bills have a 10% green tax on them is not in my book sensible.....and yes i agree that is the extreme other end of the spectrum

Denying climate change is for lazy people who can't be bothered to live in a more responsible way.

You let yourself down here a bit,and have over simplified.
I doubt there are many people that deny there is climate change,the argument is that not everyone believes that humans are the dominant cause as put forward by the UN report.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Good point well made Sydney. We can light up as many barbeques, drive 1000's of miles in our petrol driven cars (as opposed to diesel/hybrid), light as many bonfires as we like and emit more trafs after a spicy indian or four pints of Harveys, and it won't really amount to a hill of beans.
Badfish, in reality, your kids will be fine and enjoy life the same as us, so why make sacrifices which cause you unnecessary hardship now, for no medium term benefit.
Get real please before you have a self imposed aneurism or whatever.

Thanks for the advice but i think I will stick to my guns on this ".....and if it don't work at least we say we tried"

I don't share Sydney's bleak view of the future (well sometimes, but i soon regain a little optimism) My kids, and the kids I teach will grow up believing that something can be done and maybe if we can't make the changes necessary then they will. Of course by then I will not be worrying for them, but for my grand kids.

Make sure you enjoy your time Sloe Joe. Because without the selfish enjoyment of your 3 score and 10 there is little point to your existence.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As you say most are quite logical and most people nowadays try and do their bit.But what about environmental actions that are not sensible? If you push to the extreme of the spectrum sending our recycled waste to some far flung country only for some poor sap to have to crawl through the filth to earn a living or making the lives of the less than better off in this country even harder because their fuel bills have a 10% green tax on them is not in my book sensible.....and yes i agree that is the extreme other end of the spectrum

You let yourself down here a bit,and have over simplified.
I doubt there are many people that deny there is climate change,the argument is that not everyone believes that humans are the dominant cause as put forward by the UN report.

yep, I should have written man-made climate change (sorry just got up).

I don't suggest for a moment that everything being done in the name of climate change is sensible or right, or indeed for the good of climate change.

I think the point of the carbon tax though is to force industry to cut their carbon emissions, and to help us, the consumer, to make more sustainable choices in our purchasing. If a company emits less carbon they pay less carbon tax and can offer us their goods or services at a cheaper rate which we will buy and force their competitors to make similar changes to provide us with greener products. In Australia this tax was accompanied by extra payment to the consumer from the government to compensate for the initial higher prices. During it's short implementation I didn't really notice much of a pinch, in-fact all I really noticed was the increased government payments.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
yep, I should have written man-made climate change (sorry just got up).

I don't suggest for a moment that everything being done in the name of climate change is sensible or right, or indeed for the good of climate change.

Go stand in the corner for 5 minutes with the naughty hat on

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
and why do scientists no longer refer to it as Global Warming?

Science isn't afraid to admit it when it gets stuff wrong.

The name changed to reflect the fact that while the overall temperature is increasing there is also localised cooling caused my climate change.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Science isn't afraid to admit it when it gets stuff wrong.

and that is the way it should be,what concerns me about this whole issue is not what science is telling us and claiming but what they are deciding to leave out. it is almost as if they are trying to sell a product,with the vested interests looking on

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
and that is the way it should be,what concerns me about this whole issue is not what science is telling us and claiming but what they are deciding to leave out. it is almost as if they are trying to sell a product,with the vested interests looking on

What are they deciding to leave out?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Seeing that Ford had'nt built the Model T by then and China was an industrial powerhouse,how did the melting of the ice age happen ? How is this not a cycle as opposed to a change ?:facepalm:

The climates does change all the (geological) time; the world gets hotter than it is now, the world gets colder than it is now. However the current change is not a natural cycle but caused by man's activities. Even so, the world has been hotter than it is now; and the world will quite happily persist despite this global warming.

Of course there weren't seven billion people trying to grow enough food to live when the world was hotter - or indeed when the world was last in an ice age - and that of course is the issue here

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
and why do scientists no longer refer to it as Global Warming?

because idiot journalists poke their nose out the window and if its a bit chilly they'll use it as irrefutable evidence that global warming is a myth dreamed up by liberals to stop them driving around in their humvees.

So calling it climate change is intended to change the narrative to something more understandable, so we can actually get on and do something about it.

Oh by the way next year there will be a major documentary series in the US (Showtime) on climate change called Years of Living Dangerously (Harrison Ford was just filming for it at my centre in Borneo, which was pretty cool)

https://www.facebook.com/YearsOfLiving

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

Yes, absolutely, we're trying to sell you a product called 'saving the world'. Its amazing how hard it is to shift though, I think some people think they can get another world cheaper.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes, absolutely, we're trying to sell you a product called 'saving the world'. Its amazing how hard it is to shift though, I think some people think they can get another world cheaper.

chill out chap! I am not trying to be deliberately confrontational on this issue but there is a legitimate concern and therefore a legitimate right to debate the issue that humans are the dominant cause of climate change.The UN report says it is 95% convinced humans are to blame,other scientists say this is not true...surely this thread is just an extension of that?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What are they deciding to leave out?

i will be perfectly honest with you,i knew the answer to this question before you asked me.....that was earlier though......now i am unfortunately in the middle of a serious poker night and the jeremiah weed is kicking in.....not much is making sense.......i am hoping someone is in charge of the cheese sandwiches

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports