Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Drift Towards Resentment Of The 1901 Club

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I thought everyone demonstrated to keep the club alive rather than to get 1st dibs on anything going even if they don't live locally anymore. Do you seriously think the club should hold back away tickets for fans who went on marches etc but won't even be buying a season ticket at Falmer.

Come on OTLW this is a wind up, right?

No, the point is that if the 1901 steamroller continues and say we play a glam away match next season (Wolves or Stoke away even?) at what point will non resident fans be considered for tickets?
After 1901 members and then after ordinary season ticket holders (with whom I have no beef)?
Genuine question.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Just a thought:
There are hundreds of Albion exiles (possibly thousands) who have supported our club through thick and thin often - some for many for decades (in my case since 1967).
Through chance of we now live too far away or have other commitments to be regular season ticket holders at Withdean of Falmer and certainly not 1901 members.
But we attend dozens and hundreds of away games in the pouring rain at shit holes like Grimsby or Cheaterfield or wind-torn wastelands like Carlisle etc etc). In addition many of these fans were the backbone of the club during the last 13 years and helped ramp up events such as National Falmer Day, Valentine Card for Prescott, Parading the We Want Falmer banner at other clubs etc etc. Many also helped with fund raising (such as Alive and Kicking) during the very lean years....
So my question is simple: with all the priority for AWAY tickets going to the 1901 members, are the Albion exile away supporters now second class fans and conveniently forgotten about?
Just a thought!

but you away loyalists have been, rightly or wrongly, at the back of the list for a while now.

the goalposts have been moved for long-term STHs, who have now been told that a 2,300 strong club get first dibs on away tickets.

still not happy that those with more money get treated preferentially by the club. i'd always hoped that we'd be a little more egalitarian on such matters.

No, the point is that if the 1901 steamroller continues and say we play a glam away match next season (Wolves or Stoke away even?) at what point will non resident fans be considered for tickets?
After 1901 members and then after ordinary season ticket holders (with whom I have no beef)?
Genuine question.

Stoke away is NEVER EVER a GLAMOUR fixture:laugh:

and anyway, none of the money you spend on away games has gone to the Albion. Home clubs now take 100% of match revenue for league games. Only at cup games do away clubs take a cut

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Genuine question.

Maybe worth asking this on the forum of a Prem club. What happens if you are a London-based fan of a Northern team like Man City? Do you get to their away games in and around London, or are you so far down the pecking order for tickets that you only get a chance at games where the away allocation struggles to sell out.

I think it's a case of waiting for the games that don't sell-out. As for glamourous BIG games, I bet the exiles wouldn't even be considering getting a chance. Quite the opposite, they pick out the odd rubbish-looking game and think "hmm, maybe I could get a ticket for that one."

It's a change from what we're used to, but if we start getting 15,000 a week at home, then I think that's the reality my friend.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Genuine question.

the answer is... unless you know a 1901 club member who doesn't want to go you won't get tickets anymore. let's say the club are given 2,000 away tickets for a key away match... the 1901 boys will take at least half of those leaving around 1,000 to be shared between 15,000 STHs.

I would add... i appreciated this is the reality of life supporting a club with loads of STHs who are doing well.

the answer is... unless you know a 1901 club member who doesn't want to go you won't get tickets anymore. let's say the club are given 2,000 away tickets for a key away match... the 1901 boys will take at least half of those leaving around 1,000 to be shared between 15,000 STHs.

I would add... i appreciated this is the reality of life supporting a club with loads of STHs who are doing well.

i think you will find they will take more than 1,000 they aint got money for no reason you know:hilton:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So my question is simple: with all the priority for AWAY tickets going to the 1901 members, are the Albion exile away supporters now second class fans and conveniently forgotten about?

the answer is simple too: you are in exactly the same boat as before, when STH got priority.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe worth asking this on the forum of a Prem club. What happens if you are a London-based fan of a Northern team like Man City? Do you get to their away games in and around London, or are you so far down the pecking order for tickets that you only get a chance at games where the away allocation struggles to sell out.

I think it's a case of waiting for the games that don't sell-out. As for glamourous BIG games, I bet the exiles wouldn't even be considering getting a chance. Quite the opposite, they pick out the odd rubbish-looking game and think "hmm, maybe I could get a ticket for that one."

It's a change from what we're used to, but if we start getting 15,000 a week at home, then I think that's the reality my friend.
Well as a southern-based 'fan' of Newcastle Utd I've never had problems getting tickets for the London games (and their on-line system worked perfectly and allowed me to buy four tickets at a time without any bollocks about fan numbers - but that's another thread! Ditto being allowed to stand at the game!) They seemed to have a variety of schemes (Gold, then STH, then members) and I was in the bottom one but it was always ok.

I'm guessing perhaps it's because the premier league grounds are pretty big and the Newcastle allocation is always around 5-6000. And there's only so many times you want to go to places like Upton Park.

[In the interests of impartiality should say that I haven't been to a Newcastle away game for a couple of seasons and things may have changed.]

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
And another thing.... with the proposed 'Loyalty Scheme' on top of the 1901 droit de seigneur, it will be a self-reinforcing clique that get the away tickets time after time.

Ho hum :nono:

pcol

Nov 1, 2010

obviously of these 15,000 STHs, a large number will be new STHs. Will these people never have been to an away game? I would've thought if they were fans of the albion they would have and therefore would be required to be white members.

do you think that the number of people wanting to go to away games will massively increase next year? i mean we dont always sell out away games this year, peterborough for example was a massive game but there were still tickets available on the door.

so providing the new STHs are currently white members, and we dont sell out that much currently, whats to say it will change next year when they are STHs rather than white members.

or if they aren't white members now will they want to start going to away games once they are STHs?

or am i completely wrong about everything?

hello, i'm new here by the way, long time lurker, first time poster. long time albion fan, STH at goldstone, priestfield and withdean but moved away to nottingham so now go to mostly away games and only have a white membership. which reminds me i dont like the tarring of white members as newbies and glory fans but i'm sure thats in another thread.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
but you away loyalists have been, rightly or wrongly, at the back of the list for a while now.

the goalposts have been moved for long-term STHs, who have now been told that a 2,300 strong club get first dibs on away tickets.

still not happy that those with more money get treated preferentially by the club. i'd always hoped that we'd be a little more egalitarian on such matters.

I agree totally with the last paragraph ... my gripe IS NOT about having 'first dibs' on anything, quite the reverse. I have supported the Albion for 43 years because I LOVE the club and no other reason. In many ways I wish I still lived in Sussex so I could go to EVERY home game like I used to between 1967 and 1974 and again between 1977 and 1979 ... but I made my move and I have to accept that instead I get to about 12 to 20 AWAY games a season. And I guess there are many like me.
I also did a small bit during the lean years again because I LOVE the club and again NOT to get 'first dibs'.

My gripe is with the whole concept of the 1901 club and the division it breeds.

I know we live in a capitalist world - and I am an old fashioned leftie - but why should SOME Johnny Come Lately Glory Seekers get preference over other fans JUST because they have a few thousand quid in their pocket?

In a nutshell I think we have in a small way sold out to the prawn sandwich corporate world .... sadly not part of the Albion I have loved for so long.

But I will continue to support our club because I love it and like all of us it is IN my blood!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Stoke away is NEVER EVER a GLAMOUR fixture:laugh:

and anyway, none of the money you spend on away games has gone to the Albion. Home clubs now take 100% of match revenue for league games. Only at cup games do away clubs take a cut

Not exactly true for away league games , for instance we sold 2,500 tickets for the game at Peterborough and kept part of the revenue as commission.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
WHERE DOES IT SAY 1901 CLUB GET PRIORITY OVER SEASON TICKET HOLDERS FOR AWAY GAMES???

Don't understand why people are making an issue out of one that doesn't exist

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
The "Elite 1901" Club

My concern is more about the attitude of the club towards those who have supported it through thick and thin over many years. There were assurances about when prices would be announced; there were going to be "hard-hat" tours for supporters, etc. etc. Promises, promises. Parking spaces? No chance! Sadly, the focus seems to be solely on the elite who can afford to pay top whack. The mere mortals who have paid for their season tickets for year after year and those who have regularly bought match tickets over the years, suddenly find themselves at the back of the queue.
It's not our club anymore! One day we'll get relegated - will the 1901 members still be there then?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
the answer is simple too: you are in exactly the same boat as before, when STH got priority.

but now are totally f***ed whereas before we had a chance of getting a ticket after STH's and blue members as humble white members. If the club still retains a white members section next season will there be any point in joining for those not already signed up ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here