This Drift Towards Resentment Of The 1901 Club

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
A lot of people seem to have forgotten where we have come from

[yt]dUKOLeajchw[/yt]

I understand your point of view El-Pres but your views are some what clouded.

First of you come from Stockport so i take it your not a season ticket holder?

At a guess most of your away games are up north so it doesn't really affect you?

How can you give a balanced view on current season ticket holders and away game allocations?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I understand your point of view El-Pres but your views are some what clouded.

First of you come from Stockport so i take it your not a season ticket holder?

At a guess most of your away games are up north so it doesn't really affect you?

How can you give a balanced view on current season ticket holders and away game allocations?

Because I'm not a STH perhaps I can take a more objective view.

As for attending away matches, I've watched the Albion in 109 different grounds, from Exeter to Carlisle, so distance is no object. I'm going to Hartlepool on Saturday and Southampton on the Tuesday night (if I can get a ticket).

All I am saying is that some (not all) people seem to be getting a bit precious. The Albion may make a good decision about away fixtures, or they may make a bad one.

I always thought that ST's were for home fixtures though.

STH's put money into the club and have always argued that they should therefore have priority for big away games, as money buys that privilege.

As a blue member I accept that, it is commercial sense.

On the same token, if 1901 members put MORE money into the club, then that comes with privileges too.

No one knows what the ticketing arrangements are going to be, but it has not stopped resentment towards the 1901ers, and remember, we haven't made the Premiership yet, at least we hadn't when I looked at the table this morning, so the binfest for the match at The Emirates is a little premature.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
All I am saying is that some (not all) people seem to be getting a bit precious. The Albion may make a good decision about away fixtures, or they may make a bad one.

STH's put money into the club and have always argued that they should therefore have priority for big away games, as money buys that privilege.

On the same token, if 1901 members put MORE money into the club, then that comes with privileges too.

No one knows what the ticketing arrangements are going to be, but it has not stopped resentment towards the 1901ers, and remember, we haven't made the Premiership yet, at least we hadn't when I looked at the table this morning, so the binfest for the match at The Emirates is a little premature.

This.

Due to circumstances, I am not a season ticket holder as I live in Malaysia, but I was when we were shit (!). All through some of the good years (and the dark days) at the Goldstone, Priestfield and the first few years at Withdean, until I moved away. I happen to be returning to Brighton in time for Falmer, but won't be buying into 1901 partially because of money, partially because of it not being the day to day footie experience I am after (I think). However I don't resent or even feel a bit miffed that 1901ers may get priority for tickets over us STHs (assuming I manage to get one for next year) at the Emirates if we happen to be drawn there because, you pays your money, you take your choice. They're making a committed investment over a period of time which i'm not prepared to do. Good on them I say.

And anyway, it IS a storm in a teacup, because if we happen to get drawn in the cup at the Emirates or the Bridge, its not exactly going to be a big draw for them is it? There'll be plenty of seats left in the home ends.. :lolol:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Totally agree with El Pres and KLF. There really are some people whipping up a bit of a panic. It's only November..... season tickets will soon be available for everyone and there are still plenty of good seats to go around. Almost 20000 of them.

If the club had released all the tickets at the same time, what commercial sense would that have made? How many people who were tempted to pay the absolute premium price would have decided not to bother? Consequently, the club would have very likely missed out on hundreds of thousands of pounds. If they're adding more top price seats there's one reason - demand. And when demand goes up, prices rise.

I'm delighted that the club is squeezing as much money as possible out of those that can afford it because I'd quite like to have a team to watch for decades to come, and a good one at that. The idea that 1901 club members are in now way 'subsidising' others is ridiculous. Of course they are. The more money the club makes, the more there'll be available to improve the team and everyone benefits from that. And we won't ever need another Bill Archer.

How we got here shouldn't hold us back from the way the club has to go forward. A lot of the comments are very 'worthy' but Albion do not survive on fresh air. For all the time, commitment and effort everyone's put in through the years, the fact is that without huge investment from the likes of Dick Knight, Norman Cook and Tony Bloom we'd, at best, be stuck at Withdean forever and, more likely, scuffing around in non-league football. Some people are so ungrateful it astounds me.

Passion, loyalty and support may help to swing the views of planning inspectors but they don't pay for the process and they don't keep football clubs from bankruptcy. If any of the 'pie-in-the-sky' dreamers can't face that reality, they really ought to have a chat with the FCUM guys about setting up a different club that's happy to go nowhere while the fans slap each other on the back about how loyal and passionate they are (see how long that business model lasts once they get to a level where serious money is required for a club to survive).

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Totally agree with El Pres and KLF. There really are some people whipping up a bit of a panic. It's only November..... season tickets will soon be available for everyone and there are still plenty of good seats to go around. Almost 20000 of them.

If the club had released all the tickets at the same time, what commercial sense would that have made? How many people who were tempted to pay the absolute premium price would have decided not to bother? Consequently, the club would have very likely missed out on hundreds of thousands of pounds. If they're adding more top price seats there's one reason - demand. And when demand goes up, prices rise.

I'm delighted that the club is squeezing as much money as possible out of those that can afford it because I'd quite like to have a team to watch for decades to come, and a good one at that. The idea that 1901 club members are in now way 'subsidising' others is ridiculous. Of course they are. The more money the club makes, the more there'll be available to improve the team and everyone benefits from that. And we won't ever need another Bill Archer.

How we got here shouldn't hold us back from the way the club has to go forward. A lot of the comments are very 'worthy' but Albion do not survive on fresh air. For all the time, commitment and effort everyone's put in through the years, the fact is that without huge investment from the likes of Dick Knight, Norman Cook and Tony Bloom we'd, at best, be stuck at Withdean forever and, more likely, scuffing around in non-league football. Some people are so ungrateful it astounds me.

Passion, loyalty and support may help to swing the views of planning inspectors but they don't pay for the process and they don't keep football clubs from bankruptcy. If any of the 'pie-in-the-sky' dreamers can't face that reality, they really ought to have a chat with the FCUM guys about setting up a different club that's happy to go nowhere while the fans slap each other on the back about how loyal and passionate they are (see how long that business model lasts once they get to a level where serious money is required for a club to survive).

I really wouldn't disagree with much there, but I really haven't got a clue what you mean by "pie in the sky dreamers" quite honestly. Are you're talking about supporters who have a few concerns about certain present/future policies? If you are, it seems eminently sensible to me to have a debate about any arising issues - so the decision making process can perhaps become better informed. To suggest that anybody who doesn't keep schtum should sod off & form their own football club (a la FCUM) seems so extreme it's almost laughable. Since when have we become The United States of Manchester?! I'm buggered if I know.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This.

Due to circumstances, I am not a season ticket holder as I live in Malaysia, but I was when we were shit (!). All through some of the good years (and the dark days) at the Goldstone, Priestfield and the first few years at Withdean, until I moved away. I happen to be returning to Brighton in time for Falmer, but won't be buying into 1901 partially because of money, partially because of it not being the day to day footie experience I am after (I think). However I don't resent or even feel a bit miffed that 1901ers may get priority for tickets over us STHs (assuming I manage to get one for next year) at the Emirates if we happen to be drawn there because, you pays your money, you take your choice. They're making a committed investment over a period of time which i'm not prepared to do. Good on them I say.

And anyway, it IS a storm in a teacup, because if we happen to get drawn in the cup at the Emirates or the Bridge, its not exactly going to be a big draw for them is it? There'll be plenty of seats left in the home ends.. :lolol:
I don't disagree with any of what you say here Rob, but I do wish bog-standard season tickets had been made available shortly after 1901 prices.

You said it yourself, you pays your money, you take your choice. However, as things stand, that really isn't the case. It's more a case of "you pays top dollar if you can afford it, you take what's left if you can't, and at a time convenient to us".

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
So the club may have told a small lie at the 1901 club presentation where it said members would get top priority for 'A list' away matches? Or am I missing the point?

Maybe they'll have priority over an ordinary STH holder who has been to the same number of away games as they have? The superfans could still have top priority.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So the club may have told a small lie at the 1901 club presentation where it said members would get top priority for 'A list' away matches? Or am I missing the point?

The question is who they get priority over, namely 'normal' season ticket holders or everyone else.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Can't see the problem here but I think the club will have an impossible job keeping EVERYONE happy with ticketing policy, especially with the promise of some sort of priority for 1901 members.

Personally I'd rather celebrate the fact we are doing a great job of marketing and selling the 1901 Club and securing significant funds for the first 5 seasons at Falmer. 2500 corporate season ticket holders and all 14 executive boxes sold 9 months before opening is a job very well done IMO. I'd guess this alone is worth £3million a year in revenue to the club.
:amex:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Because I'm not a STH perhaps I can take a more objective view.

As for attending away matches, I've watched the Albion in 109 different grounds, from Exeter to Carlisle, so distance is no object. I'm going to Hartlepool on Saturday and Southampton on the Tuesday night (if I can get a ticket).

Interesting - 300-odd posts in this thread and the first time someone has made that point. It goes against what I have been arguing for (no away priority for 1901 members) but actually it makes a lot of sense.

IF STH believe they should have priority over non-STH because they put more money in the club, then they should accept 1901 members having priority over STH.

And if not, there should be no priority system at all other than one based on attendance.

I think this might be the first time I have changed my mind in an NSC discussion, ever. Blimey.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Can't see the problem here but I think the club will have an impossible job keeping EVERYONE happy with ticketing policy, especially with the promise of some sort of priority for 1901 members.

Personally I'd rather celebrate the fact we are doing a great job of marketing and selling the 1901 Club and securing significant funds for the first 5 seasons at Falmer. 2500 corporate season ticket holders and all 14 executive boxes sold 9 months before opening is a job very well done IMO. I'd guess this alone is worth £3million a year in revenue to the club.
:amex:

In this current climate i agree.It's a fantastic achievement by the club and the future does look exciting.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I don't think anyone who has the best interest of the club at heart could be anything other than delighted that the 1901 club sales have gone so well. The potential at our club is astonishing and this is tangible evidence (take note Steve "Miserable bastard" Foster) of that.

Great problems to have. The club will make mistakes but it's got a grerat deal completely spot on thus far.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

There's also the answer to another priority question:

Season Ticket Details - Falmer - North Stand Chat

The club is very close to writing to all season ticket holders to outline Amex details, including priority periods for season-ticket holders - with our longest serving season-ticket holders first in the queue. The delay is a result of the club putting something in place that will make ticket buying much, much easier for supporters. All will become clear in the next few weeks.

I like the sound of that last bit.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
There's also the answer to another priority question:

Season Ticket Details - Falmer - North Stand Chat

I like the sound of that last bit.

Will be interesting. Is that where you can deposit your legs so that it means you cant stand up in the ground?

With our chairman out of the country (albeit regularly involved and keeping very much in touch) and the club/stadium admin being run on a day to day basis by Messrs Hebberd, Brown and Perry at the moment, anything is possible.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's all part of the strange make-up of a football fan.

We want better for our club, so we dream of a bigger stadium, and we get all precious about how many we can average on a Saturday at the ground. We're proud beasts who beat our chest and say we'll average 15,000, and would take offense if someone suggested we'd average about 5-6,000.

And yet, with that comes some people who haven't been going regularly at the previous ground, and that's when it gets messy. For some bizarre reason, these additional fans - which is surely good for the club we all love - will get hugely criticised by those hardened fellas who have "gone through all the dark days."

I think it's head out of backside time. Come one, come all, if we want to get anywhere, we need more fans, and perhaps we should be a little bit more welcoming. If someone chooses to support the Albion, then they are alright by me.

It's all part of the strange make-up of a football fan.

We want better for our club, so we dream of a bigger stadium, and we get all precious about how many we can average on a Saturday at the ground. We're proud beasts who beat our chest and say we'll average 15,000, and would take offense if someone suggested we'd average about 5-6,000.

And yet, with that comes some people who haven't been going regularly at the previous ground, and that's when it gets messy. For some bizarre reason, these additional fans - which is surely good for the club we all love - will get hugely criticised by those hardened fellas who have "gone through all the dark days."

I think it's head out of backside time. Come one, come all, if we want to get anywhere, we need more fans, and perhaps we should be a little bit more welcoming. If someone chooses to support the Albion, then they are alright by me.

welcome new fans but not at the expense of me unable to get a ticket for any decent away trip:tantrum:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports