This Drift Towards Resentment Of The 1901 Club

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
referring back to the thread title, its not so much hatred of the 1901 club but the fact that the 1901 club appears to be having everything done for it when us ruffians (existing sths) were promised season ticket details in October and we STILL have heard nothing, does 15000 times £500ish per season not compare in turnover to the 1901 club turnover.........?

My mrs summed it up last week "it's all getting a bit man united" in the way the ordinary fans are starting to get treated. And before any 1901 members pipe up with "there will be plenty of seats to go around" and all that bollocks, just remember you already KNOW where you will be sitting at falmer AND what it will cost you, us lesser mortals are being treated like the proverbial mushrooms at the moment.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Next season if we get an away game in the 3rd round of the FA Cup at one of the Premier top 6 then it will be certain that virtually all 1901 members will apply for tickets even if they're not going as they will pass them on to family , friends or business contacts.

Certainly looks that way doesn't it?

As far as I'm concerned, I basically have no truck with those who pay top coin for Boxes/1901 Club membership. If they can afford the expense or make the financial sacrifices, then fair enough. What I do have a f***ing problem with though is the way that our club has (seemingly deliberately) dithered over informing the majority of supporters of the availability & cost of season tickets; having an employee of the club refer to the non-wedged supporters as 'ruffians' who it's assumed will be 'happy with a few beers and pies catering wise' (think Ratners); & the way in which those who are able to get the money together for the more glittery packages get first dibs on certain away games.

For me it's about principles, & I think Mr Bloom & co. should show a bit more respect for the ideals & reasons behind the 'Community' aspect of the new stadium.

Sort it out Albion.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Don't know if it's already been mentioned as i haven't read the whole thread, but if we are selling more 1901 seats, it means that the club has more money to spend on improving the squad (hopefully taking us onto even better things)

But could also help / enable the club to keep season ticket prices lower for the ordinary fans as we would need fewer fans through the gate each game to break even.

Surely thats a win / win situation ?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Don't know if it's already been mentioned as i haven't read the whole thread, but if we are selling more 1901 seats, it means that the club has more money to spend on improving the squad (hopefully taking us onto even better things)

But could also help / enable the club to keep season ticket prices lower for the ordinary fans as we would need fewer fans through the gate each game to break even.

Surely thats a win / win situation ?

Maybe - but I don't think your namesake/avatar would've taken such a middle-of-the-road approach!

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Like many who post here I am no fan of prawn sandwiches, all seater stadia, high ticket prices and all the money driven corporate nonsense which surrounds the modern game. But that's part of what we are getting, and was always going to be. Which is why I (to a few sneers from some) have been making energetic suggestions to the powers that be to ensure the best possible deal for the rest of us. Given that we have said we don't need an independent supporters' association and most people seem quite happy to leave the club to do what they want on our behalf I thought that was better than just doing nothing and then moaning if we didn't like what we get.

As far as the matchday experience goes I think we will like it a lot, that all of us non 1901ers will be really pleased with the facilities on offer on the concourses, beer and food included. Decent food, a decent choice of beer and plenty of catering outlets, plus the opportunity to meet up after the game in the concourse bars or the supporters' bar: seems fine to me. The tickets business is however another matter. I think the club has treated us poorly and made us feel secon best to the prawn sandwich brigade, and (though they would say it was meant in jest) I too have detected a certain superciliousness in some quarters...........

D

Deleted User X18H

For me it's about principles, & I think Mr Bloom & co. should show a bit more respect for the ideals & reasons behind the 'Community' aspect of the new stadium.

Sort it out Albion.

I tell you what why don't you offer him a small proportion of the 80 million or so of his OWN wealth he has ploughed into the stadium.

Say 5% then I am sure he might listen to any ideas you might have on how he can effectively recoup some of the mind boggling amount he has LOANED the club. When no one else was interested.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
referring back to the thread title, its not so much hatred of the 1901 club but the fact that the 1901 club appears to be having everything done for it when us ruffians (existing sths) were promised season ticket details in October and we STILL have heard nothing, does 15000 times £500ish per season not compare in turnover to the 1901 club turnover.........?

My mrs summed it up last week "it's all getting a bit man united" in the way the ordinary fans are starting to get treated. And before any 1901 members pipe up with "there will be plenty of seats to go around" and all that bollocks, just remember you already KNOW where you will be sitting at falmer AND what it will cost you, us lesser mortals are being treated like the proverbial mushrooms at the moment.

I think 'Hatred' was probably the wrong choice of word in the original thread title. For which, apologies. 'Resentment' may have been a better choice of word. Good interesting debate though, remarkably free of binfestism. IMHO, like.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
surely the point is that if you end up going to falmer as as 1901 or a normal fan, if you dont like the product, you wont go again.....many people I know went to withdean, didnt like it and are now looking at falmer as being the be and end all, however, if they have a bad experience they wont go again......at least with the 1901 club, the club have their money for 5 years, irrespective if they like it or not

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I tell you what why don't you offer him a small proportion of the 80 million or so of his OWN wealth he has ploughed into the stadium.

Say 5% then I am sure he might listene to any ideas you might have on how he can effectively recoup some of the mind boggling amount he has LOANED the club. When no one else was interested.

Well I'll be damned! Tory Boy pops up with the notion that opinion & sentiment are only valid when backed up with lashings of hard cash. :p

ps I look forward to hearing about you choking on your pre-match canapes btw (if the surrounding 1901'ers haven't already lynched you first). I might even do a blog on it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Like Giraffe said from a business perspective the 1901 club ticks all the boxes, I'm lucky enough to be in a position to be able to have a pair of tickets and put them through the business, the slogan said 'Falmer for All' and with 22,500 seats that will be the case, wherever you are sitting.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I've got no problem waiting for ticket prices and the like, no problem at all as i know roughly what i'll be looking to pay and will have that set aside for next season. I'm not in any real mad rush to pick my seat, as no matter when it is i'll still have first pick of whats remaining after the 1901 seats with the rest of the current sth's.
I obviously dont disagree with the idea that the 1901 club get the best seats, thats obvious by paying more, and i can fully accept the better facilities on offer, as otherwise what would they be paying for? The facilities for us common folk will still be first class compared to every other ground in our division.

What MY problem is, is the fact that after travelling up and down the country since the age of 5 with the albion, having been a STH and so on, some johnny come lately now has priority over me for away games. I cant afford 1901, and i wouldnt opt for it if i could as its not my idea of a saturday at the football. But there should be no priority involved with the 1901 package, thats for home games, away allocation should not be based on how much one is paying for their seat.

As someone stated, a game like Southampton away when we are top of the league, we get 3000 seats. Say 1/3rd of 1901 members decide to make the trip following the teams recent success, thats 1000 or so if my figures are correct. Another few hundred will get tickets on their accounts for mates, family, others and so on, leaving 1000 left to share between 15000 STH's, some of which will be there first season following the albion.
That is my issue.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
What MY problem is, is the fact that after travelling up and down the country since the age of 5 with the albion, having been a STH and so on, some johnny come lately now has priority over me for away games. I cant afford 1901, and i wouldnt opt for it if i could as its not my idea of a saturday at the football. But there should be no priority involved with the 1901 package, thats for home games, away allocation should not be based on how much one is paying for their seat.

so they don't get priority and you do?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

They should get the same priority as every other season ticket holder. You're paying for a home season ticket, away ticket allocation should not be based on the cost of your ticket.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They should get the same priority as every other season ticket holder. You're paying for a home season ticket, away ticket allocation should not be based on the cost of your ticket.

I'd agree with that. It was always previously touted that Albion away fans contributed nothing, in financial terms, towards the club's well-being. How does that change at Falmer?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Nope
Priority for away games should be the same for 1901 & STH,
PLUS for the higher profile games, those that have attended some/more away games to get first priority

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Nope
Priority for away games should be the same for 1901 & STH,
PLUS for the higher profile games, those that have attended some/more away games to get first priority

Spot on.

All away games should be STH/1901 members at the same time. Those that are extremely popular can be allocated based on a points system, which will obviously take a while to kick in unless the club have plans of giving points to current STH's and those with away ticket purchase history. Say 5 points for a tuesday night at Hartlepool, and 1 point for Southampton at home, like premiership sides do.

Tedebear, NOWHERE did I suggest STH's should have priority over 1901 members, i fail to see where you came to that conlcusion from my post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports