Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Drift Towards Resentment Of The 1901 Club

If ever we needed proof about being a small time club with small time attitudes this bollocks, and the bedwetting question on ATC, 9 months before we have an away match whilst at Falmer, is conclusive proof.
It's not a sign of being a "small time club" for regular supporters to expect to stand a chance of getting a ticket for a big away game.

It's not going to be a game at Stamford Bridge that will bring this argument to a head. It's something like a fifth round FA Cup game at a stadium where we get an allocation of around 2,000 tickets.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If Hartlepool away sells out and I do not get a ticket there will be an eruption of emotion

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
If we got 9k tickets, not really an issue, I appreciate that. However, anything under 5k I think does become an issue, because as we have seen (West Ham, Spurs, Villa - as well as places like Orient, QPR etc), those tickets do sell out and each time I know genuine Albion fans (not necessarily superfans) who miss out. When you reduce that down to only 1000-2000, then the scramble is gonna be nuts - and not all (I accept some) of those 1901 fans who will have tickets would "deserve" them under a loyalty system.

I do take your point, I'd be more in favour of a points system too but if the club has decided to give preference to 1901 members then so be it.

It would be good to have some clarification from the club or perhaps some of the 1901 members on here, is it just platinum members that get this privileage and if so what sort of numbers are we talking about?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If ever we needed proof about being a small time club with small time attitudes this bollocks, and the bedwetting question on ATC, 9 months before we have an away match whilst at Falmer, is conclusive proof.

You pay for privileges in life, and that's what you get for being in the 1901. Those who have a superiority complex because they have a ticket stub from Halifax away in 2001 can do one. Get over yourselves and grow up.

Bizarre post. In the first place, every club moving to a new ground with better facilities (ie dozens) has probably had some similar discussion. Secondly, getting tickets for high-demand away games and the pecking order is and always will be highly relevant to all fans who want to go. Thirdly, is money paid in your view the only criteria worth anything?

Personally, as I've said, I think the 1901 is important and will bring in valuable revenue. I won't be in it, but if I won the lottery I'd buy one tomorrow. But as with all these things it is judgment. Giving them priority over normal STHs was a mistake. If we're saying money is all, it's not like they're paying £30,000 plus catering for a box, the difference is marginal for that big a benefit. Needless.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's not a sign of being a "small time club" for regular supporters to expect to stand a chance of getting a ticket for a big away game.

It's not going to be a game at Stamford Bridge that will bring this argument to a head. It's something like a fifth round FA Cup game at a stadium where we get an allocation of around 2,000 tickets.

Or a crunch end-of-season promotion decider...

Imagine if you'd watched the team throughout this season but couldn't get a ticket for Notts County away because they all went to 1901 members. 'Uproar' wouldn't even cover it.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I could afford it if I wanted to, but I don't think it is good to Lord it over other fans. I will be on the terraces with the real fans.

They are not terraces and you won't be able to stand.

Yesterday Woking came and made a big noise - you can create an atmosphere in a seated stadium but its a lot harder.

There is loads of "real fans" sitting everywhere and you are going to get lots of new fans in the cheapseats as well.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Can someone actually point to a statement or brochure FROM THE CLUB where it actually states that 1901 members get priority OVER season ticket holders?

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Why they cannot operate a proper loyalty based priority system for away tickets is beyond me..

Srixon

Sep 26, 2010
Ringing the club tomorrow to enquire about joining the 901 club and ask about away tickets.

If 901 members get priority over normal season ticket holders then i'll join there and then.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
However, are you honestly telling me that these people won't fancy Stamford Bridge or the Emirates in the FA cup?

So ALL this just because we might at some point in the future get drawn against Chelsea or Arsenal in the Cup and some people (about 10% of capacity) who are investing a lot of money in the club up front and appear to get first dibs, might take it up. Really? What a load of tosh. Think everyone should wait until the STH info actually comes out. Even then, I still don't think it warrants all this

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Why they cannot operate a proper loyalty based priority system for away tickets is beyond me..

They do normally - its ALL season ticket holders first and then everyone else. Didn't it also involve having the stubs of other games too.

Thats so unfair on some people who support the albion when we are winning or if we are playing Real Madrid in Europe. Some of those people watch us everytime we are on tele.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
So ALL this just because we might at some point in the future get drawn against Chelsea or Arsenal in the Cup and some people (about 10% of capacity) who are investing a lot of money in the club up front and appear to get first dibs, might take it up. Really? What a load of tosh. Think everyone should wait until the STH info actually comes out. Even then, I still don't think it warrants all this

If you read my posts, I agree - I said that we should wait and see what the club comes up with.

But surely you agree the club should instroduce some sort of loyalty scheme to make sure the most regular followers get away tickets? Its not really *might* is it? We WILL get a big cup away game over the first few years at falmer, the majority of 1901 members WILL want to go, and a lot of people who have regularly pumped money and time into the club over previous years and are continuing to do so WILL lose out if they find themselves 2500 places down the list at the start of play.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
However, you're wrong with your second point. Yes money does buy privileges, but even the top clubs (United, Chelsea etc) allocate away tickets on a loyalty basis - they don't have a group of supporters who pay for the chance to jump the queue.

No they don't, if you are prepared to pay for a package via United's chosen agent (Thomas Cook), you can get an away ticket for all European games, but it will cost you!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I personally have nothing against anyone in the 1901 club and would have been more annoyed with the club if they hadn't pressed home the commercial advantage of having a new stadium in a huge catchment area.

My gripe is with the club's treatment of Withdean season ticket holders. Three seasons back I got a farewell to Withdean two season ticket which was supposed to be the last ticket we ever got at Withdean (one can excuse the stadium delay), we would get first choice for season tickets at Falmer and get a hard hat tour.

Throw in the constant delay in putting 'normal' season tickets on sale (I personally think they are waiting to find out what division we are in next year) and it represents fairly shoddy treatment of anyone who has sat in the rain at Withdean for the last decade.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I purchased a Withdean Waver as well and had at least hoped for a much better deal this time round however no such thoughts from the club.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I am a Platinum 1901 member. I am a normal, vocal, long-serving fan. I do not intend to change this when I am in the west stand and I know a lot of people are like me too. I guess it was inevitable that people would have some resentment towards the 1901 members, but we're not all corporate, Jonny come latelys. I have been to Rochdale on a Tuesday night!

This plus four. There are lots of proper fans in the 1901. Which makes the concern for other STH's over away priority more valid.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
No they don't, if you are prepared to pay for a package via United's chosen agent (Thomas Cook), you can get an away ticket for all European games, but it will cost you!

Well, if you have the money you can get yourself a ticket for anything.

Europe's an interesting one, because I'd assume a lot of people who will quite happily get the train up and down the country on a Saturday can't necessarily travel abroad for each game - I know I wouldn't be able to due to work.

They still don't have a section of support who pay more than the average supporter can afford in order to jump the queue for the standard allocation of away tickets, regardless of other games attended.

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
I am a Platinum 1901 member. I am a normal, vocal, long-serving fan. I do not intend to change this when I am in the west stand and I know a lot of people are like me too. I guess it was inevitable that people would have some resentment towards the 1901 members, but we're not all corporate, Jonny come latelys. I have been to Rochdale on a Tuesday night!

you would have been better off going there when the albion were actually playing there HR.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here