This binman strike...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If this actually happens, overtime then strike, then it is time to sack all of them and get new contractors in ASAP.

They won't be doing overtime, they are working to rule so will only do contracted hours.

Don't worry though when the strike is over they will have all the overtime they want.

Why does the council want consistency across it's staff? Where I work we have different grades, the lowest grades earn least, but get overtime, project staff and management get paid more, have more flexible hours and don't get paid overtime.

This seems like a pointless exercise that has been handled badly by all sides.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why does the council want consistency across it's staff? Where I work we have different grades, the lowest grades earn least, but get overtime, project staff and management get paid more, have more flexible hours and don't get paid overtime.

Strangely, thanks to Unions taking councils to court over equal pay - it cost Birmingham City Council millions for example. Now what started out as something to close the gender pay gap has ballooned out of control. Get this ( and this could only happen in the public sector !!!! ) - instead of just making sure say male and female teaching assistants are paid equally they've gone further - they want to equalise the pay across different jobs. So, for example, a grade 3 teaching assistant gets the same as a grade 3 bin man gets the same as a grade 3 care assistant gets the same as a grade 3 swimming pool attendant. This despite the fact they are all different jobs. As I say - only in the public sector !!!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Strangely, thanks to Unions taking councils to court over equal pay - it cost Birmingham City Council millions for example. Now what started out as something to close the gender pay gap has ballooned out of control. Get this ( and this could only happen in the public sector !!!! ) - instead of just making sure say male and female teaching assistants are paid equally they've gone further - they want to equalise the pay across different jobs. So, for example, a grade 3 teaching assistant gets the same as a grade 3 bin man gets the same as a grade 3 care assistant gets the same as a grade 3 swimming pool attendant. This despite the fact they are all different jobs. As I say - only in the public sector !!!!!

Absolute lunacy.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Just been on Meridian news that they are to strike again next Monday. Back to work Friday, overtime Saturday and Sunday ( enough to cover their week off ) strike again Monday. Repeat as before. :nono:

Surely, if they go back to work on Friday and are working to rule, they won't want to do overtime Saturday and Sunday. So, at 2.00pm Friday when they all go home after their one day of work, the Council gets contractors in to work right through till 6.00am Monday when the bin men go back on strike. That way the bin men have their strike, work to rule on the one day they do work, have the weekend off when they aren't contracted to work....and we have a nice, clean city.
And repeat next weekend too???

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
easy solution to all this.

Hire more staff so there is no need for overtime and everyone can work their standard 37 hour week. How hard can it be to train new staff?

I'm pretty sure that's what they're trying to do. But the argument is the reduction in overtime is a reduction in wages.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
What they should do is publish the names and addresses of all the binmen. Then we can all choose the binman who lives closest to us and go and dump all our shit on his doorstep or in his front garden. Job done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This could make a protracted dispute, interesting:-

Not by me personally, but this was in the Argus today:

Rubbish continues to build up across the city with reports of homeless people taking it upon themselves to clean the streets.

Resident Angela Cowling, spotted the group cleaning on Western Road.

She said: “I, for one among several while we were waiting at a bus stop, gave money to the cleaning group and I will pay them every time I see them in Brighton.”

A nearby shop worker, who asked not to be named, added: “It's been really heart warming to see. They were saying that they need to sleep in the streets and they want them to be clean.

“They're using the bin bags and going up and down the street picking up litter. After a bit people have started to give them money.

“But they've been going up and down all day and I think it's fantastic.”

-----------------------

Would put this in the weird category.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What they should do is publish the names and addresses of all the binmen. Then we can all choose the binman who lives closest to us and go and dump all our shit on his doorstep or in his front garden. Job done.

Alternatively, publish the addresses of all the Green and Tory councillors who abdicated their responsibilities and dump it in their gardens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hire the homeless. They'll appreciate the work. The current mob want to have a luttle cry, so mug them off and send in the street dwellers to become the street cleaners.

Seemples.
Ironically it would get very messy very quickly, but the streets would be cleaner.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton

And if anyone spots any of them doing any gardening or DIY we could get a load of builders/gardeners to stand outside their house and call them scabs.

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
I live in Portslade and we are Adur so our rubbish is being picked up every week as normal. :)

Was walking through Hove today for the first time since it started as I've been in "revising", and was shocked to see how bad it really was, very surprising, thought you lot were over exaggerating but there literally is just shit everywhere isn't there!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I live in Portslade and we are Adur so our rubbish is being picked up every week as normal. :)

Was walking through Hove today for the first time since it started as I've been in "revising", and was shocked to see how bad it really was, very surprising, thought you lot were over exaggerating but there literally is just shit everywhere isn't there!

Portslade is most definitely not Adur.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In mile oak we were not collected the Friday before they started their strike, so we hadn't been collected for 3 weeks anyway...they are a complete shower.

We took all our rubbish down to the tip in hove and a few people have suggested we take it in turns, as a few of our neighbours have vans, and we will make a weekly run to the tip....**** em if they don't want to collect our bins..we will do it ourselves...and they want uS to pip our horns in support of the lazy feckers!

Btw my wife went through this when her pay was equalised with men doing the same job as her.. As it should be!

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Central Hove makes slums look neat and tidy in comparison right now. I bet estate agents are having fun explaining it to prospective buyers from outside the area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports