This binman strike...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
BUT not legally obliged to take T&Cs of the binmen down - instead they could raise the T&Cs of those other workers who are currently worse off. It would be exactly in line with the Green's policy of a living wage and fair pay for all.

There are council workers who will be better off following this. In fact the total wage bill is not actually being reduced at all. This is not a cost cutting exercise by the council, and like all reorganisations there will be winners and losers. In this instance the people losing out are concentrated at the City Clean depot, they are however being offered substantial compensation for this. The council do pay the living wage, and time and half and double time for out of regulation hours (weekends, bank holidays etc) are still part of this new deal as far as I understand it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Again I agree. The council have offered what they can to ensure that people don't lose out in the short to mid-term. Some will lose out, but this is about cuts that all local authorities are having to make. It all leads back to that nasty global financial crash and the strategy that we've chosen in weathering the storm. Not a path I believe to be right and I freely offer that up.

The unions could have got some small wins for their members here and then all got back to work, but now I think we're in for an almighty fight. The Greens will want to be dogmatic about it I reckon - they're all too bloody principled about the wrong things - and the unions clearly have some cash up their sleeve (I mean they were practically falling over themselves today to announce the further strike action.)

And hey, just think, if the unions do win then the council will have to find cuts elsewhere. School services say. Not teachers obviously as they are out of scope, but say funding for school activities and support services for disadvantaged kids. Maybe it'll be cuts to services for the elderly. Gotta come from somewhere.

The council need to say "yep, we handled this wrong, so we can't force this through, but here's the facts when it comes to cuts now let's meet half way" and the union members - yes, the people at city clean - need to take a look at what is being offered themselves and then talk with their union leaders rather than just blindly follow their union leaders.

Again, not arguing with any of that.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex

I don't know much about the ins and outs of politics in Brighton and Hove Council, but from a distance it seems very odd that the Green Party both caused the events and (at least in the person of their only MP) oppose the events.

Is the party completely split on this? Otherwise I don't understand how they can vote for something to happen that they oppose?

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
easy solution to all this.

Hire more staff so there is no need for overtime and everyone can work their standard 37 hour week. How hard can it be to train new staff?

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
Im with the bin men yes the place is a s*** hole right now but wud we all want to take a reduction in pay? when everyone can see millions being wasted on the green party doing their so called green bit cycle lanes along old shoreham rd that was closed for nearly 3 months due them being constructed i hardly ever see any cycles using them, on this bus lane along lewes rd to the stadium which is costing fortunes and gonna cause even more congestion at the vogue giratory and the 20mph zones signs and markings which no one takes any notice of, millions being wasted them trying to do their greenie bit, they were voted in due to low turn out and all the brighton student and alternatives voting them in they will be gone after next elections but that dosent help the present ,stick it out bin men im with u

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
https://twitter.com/gmbcityclean is an interesting account to follow. It claimed it was the lowest grade on wages (which it is not), but hasn't answered the tweets suggesting that is incorrect.

Ridiculous to suggest people are undermining their strike by wanting the city to be habitable.

if i leave all my rubbish in my house for god knows how long i'll get rats...sorry but i'd prefer not to do that

i pay my (****ing expensive) council tax...one of the services included in that is refuse collection...

It wasn't a catch all. Those with transport (and time) could dump it. I know it is not an ideal situation, but needs be must.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The Union is the enemy here. Strike means NOTHING to them, but everything to our city and the employees they are badly advising.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The Union is the enemy here. Strike means NOTHING to them, but everything to our city and the employees they are badly advising.

You can't force someone to work if they don't like the new arrangement. The workers are allowed to get together and refuse to work, the labour market is naturally biased towards a single, large employer so unionising levels the balance of power, and strikes are a way of exercising that new power.

Having said that, if they all got sacked tomorrow then they've only got themselves to blame and they won't get sympathy from me. You play with fire, you might get burnt, and striking seems to be about as hardball as you can get in a negotiation.

All I'm hoping is that the council have some contingency in place next time around so that a future dispute doesn't end up harming pretty much every third party living in the city.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sack them all and start again. The eastern europeans would do a better job anyway. **** them and their union brothers. It wouldnt happen in the private sector. Time to face realities.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Just been on Meridian news that they are to strike again next Monday. Back to work Friday, overtime Saturday and Sunday ( enough to cover their week off ) strike again Monday. Repeat as before. :nono:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Just been on Meridian news that they are to strike again next Monday. Back to work Friday, overtime Saturday and Sunday ( enough to cover their week off ) strike again Monday. Repeat as before. :nono:

Hopefully it won't come to that, they are sitting around the Table again tonight as we speak. Hopefully away forward and an deal will be sorted for them to not strike again next Monday.

Not holding out much hope through.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Is there anyone out there who has time to submit a Freedom of Information request to all the Local Authorities in East and West Sussex to ascertain exactly how much each refuse collector earned last year - and the hours worked at flat-rate, time + half and double time to reach those earnings?
Obviously all employees' names would be redacted, so there is no Data Protection issues and it might give everyone a better idea of just what they earn - and how many hours they work.
Personally, I wouldn't mind clocking off every day at 2.00 and I would willingly start at 6.00am to do so.

Far too sensible and fair minded......

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
BUT not legally obliged to take T&Cs of the binmen down - instead they could raise the T&Cs of those other workers who are currently worse off. It would be exactly in line with the Green's policy of a living wage and fair pay for all.

And how do you suggest that this is paid for?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
easy solution to all this.

Hire more staff so there is no need for overtime and everyone can work their standard 37 hour week. How hard can it be to train new staff?

Correct, and you now have a more flexible workforce to boot.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

If this actually happens, overtime then strike, then it is time to sack all of them and get new contractors in ASAP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports