This binman strike...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well obviously it is not going to be possible for everyone to make alternative arrangements, but I am sure not everyone is being sensible.

It's a shame to see so much recyclable material mixed up with household waste.

I agree with Clapham on every point, but there is the concern that people will turn to flytipping if charges were levied on weight.

I think that's already on the increase to be honest. Simply because there is too much waste and it's become very expensive for builders for instance to get rid of it.

Personally I think recycling is a red herring, there is simply too much junk being generated. During a recession the demand for it slows down like anything else.

I don't need a receipt unless I ask for one. I've stopped bank statements and yet the bank still send me crap. Even the council send me a "newspaper" I throw straight in the bin.

Remarkable the amount of junk mail I receive even with a sign on the door. Some of which are full glossy thick magazines. I did go through a period of taking them back. Estate agents love that, particular with customers in the office.

We aren't talking the odd pizza leaflet. We are talking doctors waiting room. Reams of the crap.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
root problem here is people creating too much waste.

if one eats live food (non processed - so no wrapping or plastic) - and composts, then ones weekly waste is little more than 1 carrier bag.

ive seen housholds in the UK that are disgusting in their wasteage.......the mess you see in the streets in from people, not from dustmen "not taking it away."

One trusts that this is an attempt at creating a situation where one stimulates another's sense of humour? and the thought of households actually consuming anything apart from "Live" foods is just preposterous.

I appreciate one will find this impossible to accept, but I have heard that in some areas of the country some lower life forms actually purchase and consume food stuffs that are contained in metal cans! these sub standard beings purchase these tins from such outlets as Spar shops and Asda supermarkets, shocking information I know!! how on earth everyone does not have their Live foods bought in by Harrods or Fortnum & Mason is just utterly unthinkable!

At least we can rest knowing that the refuge operators strike will not affect us decent beings out here in the countryside, and the lesser mortals unnecessary wastage will not contaminate our superior areas of residence...... Wot Wot.....

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Whatever you think of the strike businesses, visitors and residents need to take more responsibility and not expect someone to clean up after them.

A million times THIS.

It's about residents taking pride in their community. Organise that one person takes the rubbish to the tip in their car, or similar and every cooks them a meal. Simple gesture in return for a simple gesture.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
A million times THIS.

It's about residents taking pride in their community. Organise that one person takes the rubbish to the tip in their car, or similar and every cooks them a meal. Simple gesture in return for a simple gesture.

Failing that, all chip in and hire a lorry, then fly tip the rubbish in a certain area in South London, no one will notice a thing! :)

Oct 25, 2003
I'm talking about a temporary measure whilst they are not fulfilling their roles rather than guiding the city towards a slum like existence.

As an aside, people should become better versed on 'take it home'. The amount of people that will leave bags to the sides of bins or put stuff in an already overflowing bin is ludicrous.

Well, although impossible, I would want a waste free society!

I'm not excusing their first unofficial strike. They are legitimately striking the second time round. It is pointless to put the rubbish out if it is not going to be collected.

if i leave all my rubbish in my house for god knows how long i'll get rats...sorry but i'd prefer not to do that

i pay my (****ing expensive) council tax...one of the services included in that is refuse collection...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not excusing their first unofficial strike. They are legitimately striking the second time round. It is pointless to put the rubbish out if it is not going to be collected.

While I broadly agree, it's the fact that they haven't cleared up from the first strike and were deliberately disruptive before this strike that psses off a lot of people

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
While I broadly agree, it's the fact that they haven't cleared up from the first strike and were deliberately disruptive before this strike that psses off a lot of people

Oh absolutely. Ridiculous behaviour on their part.

Why has the city fallen into a state of waste when they missed just two days? No recycling has been collected here in BN1 since before the unofficial strike. They've had nearly a month to catch up on their two day holiday.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Oh absolutely. Ridiculous behaviour on their part.

Why has the city fallen into a state of waste when they missed just two days? No recycling has been collected here in BN1 since before the unofficial strike. They've had nearly a month to catch up on their two day holiday.

To defend them ( and to probably get flamed ! ), they decided to work to rule - i.e. they've done no extra past what their basic pay requires them to do and they have followed rules to the letter. If anything this has shown how much the council expect them to work past their contracted hours and claim overtime to complete the job. Now if you expect people to work more than their contract states how stupid do you need to be to suggest cutting their allowances ? Alternatively it shows that the council have understaffed Cityclean.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
To defend them ( and to probably get flamed ! ), they decided to work to rule - i.e. they've done no extra past what their basic pay requires them to do and they have followed rules to the letter. If anything this has shown how much the council expect them to work past their contracted hours and claim overtime to complete the job. Now if you expect people to work more than their contract states how stupid do you need to be to suggest cutting their allowances ? Alternatively it shows that the council have understaffed Cityclean.

The city is in this position (filthy before the official strike) as they DIDN'T work to rule.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Not sure about the rights and wrongs of the strike but its a disgrace to the city, the council should be ashamed and replaced immediately.

Also, residents and business's especially takeaways should hold their head in shame. Instead of just chucking more rubbish on the Seagull pecked piles why not take it to the tip or would you prefer to wade through the filth outside your front door. If you stuff rubbish into and already full bin it doesn't vanish you lazy ****s.

Tourists must love our stinking pit of a city :nono:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The city is in this position (filthy before the official strike) as they DIDN'T work to rule.

Disagree - it takes longer than they are officially paid for by basic pay to clean the city so not only was the already missed rubbish not picked up ( not enough time ), rubbish also built up DUE to the work to rule. Overtime is optional.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
The communal bin on South side of Palmeira Square has almost reached the point where you can't walk on the pavement. You'll soon need to walk in the road to get round it.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Well such a bunch of amateurs should never have been allowed a sniff of power, but as a city if you open the door to all manner of weirdos then you will end up with a Green freak show running your council. The people have only themselves to blame.

Totally agree, the people who voted this shower of poodle in, deserves, in my opinion. To be lined up and beaten with a broken branch off their favourite tree, and thrown out of this city

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If the binmen's allowances are overpaid (and apparently have been for over 10 years), surely it's a good thing (and a somewhat brave one) by the council to try and balance the wages? Hey it's just a thought, and yes I live in Brighton, and no it's not pleasant at the moment.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Well such a bunch of amateurs should never have been allowed a sniff of power, but as a city if you open the door to all manner of weirdos then you will end up with a Green freak show running your council. The people have only themselves to blame.

Totally agree, only city in the country to be so limp wristed to even give the Greens a sniff of power

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Disagree - it takes longer than they are officially paid for by basic pay to clean the city so not only was the already missed rubbish not picked up ( not enough time ), rubbish also built up DUE to the work to rule. Overtime is optional.

I'd like to know how you can prove that. If they are running at capacity, then perhaps more staff and less overtime should be made available. I can't see the current staff going for that, if they are worried about their earnings as it is.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
One trusts that this is an attempt at creating a situation where one stimulates another's sense of humour? and the thought of households actually consuming anything apart from "Live" foods is just preposterous.

I appreciate one will find this impossible to accept, but I have heard that in some areas of the country some lower life forms actually purchase and consume food stuffs that are contained in metal cans! these sub standard beings purchase these tins from such outlets as Spar shops and Asda supermarkets, shocking information I know!! how on earth everyone does not have their Live foods bought in by Harrods or Fortnum & Mason is just utterly unthinkable!

At least we can rest knowing that the refuge operators strike will not affect us decent beings out here in the countryside, and the lesser mortals unnecessary wastage will not contaminate our superior areas of residence...... Wot Wot.....

What a wonderfully sarcastic post - and for a moderator as well. Well done Sir!

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
The thing that has most infuriated me, are the succession of green councillors and the Lucas woman who have visited the picket line to offer support when the whole mess is of their making anyway! Hypocrisy and a classic piece of misdirection. They know they will be slaughtered at the next available polling opportunity and are resorting to desperate measures.

Incidentally, in the run up to the last general elections the parties were talking about offering legislation that would allow local electorates the oppotunity to essentially sack their council mid-term if at was failing badly. Did anything ever come of that?

PS. A confession. I voted green last time. Mortified and ashamed just doesnt do it justice. But at least I typify the problems they will face when the next election comes around. and if they lose Brighton (their home town) due to ineptitude, it will take them a generation to recover.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Is there anyone out there who has time to submit a Freedom of Information request to all the Local Authorities in East and West Sussex to ascertain exactly how much each refuse collector earned last year - and the hours worked at flat-rate, time + half and double time to reach those earnings?
Obviously all employees' names would be redacted, so there is no Data Protection issues and it might give everyone a better idea of just what they earn - and how many hours they work.
Personally, I wouldn't mind clocking off every day at 2.00 and I would willingly start at 6.00am to do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports