This binman strike...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A well known local journalist has told of rubbish in secure bins being tampered with to add to the impact of the dispute, has never happened before now. Wonder which side has most to gain from making the city look as bad as possible? :rolleyes:

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
10665_539762732751350_1838622711_n.jpg

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
A well known local journalist has told of rubbish in secure bins being tampered with to add to the impact of the dispute, has never happened before now. Wonder which side has most to gain from making the city look as bad as possible? :rolleyes:

Did wonder that this morning, seafront rubbish strewn everywhere driving into work and got worse driving around Brighton today. Still one good thing great advert for a Green council.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So you supported the firefighters despite their strike being about wanting more ? You even admit that the binmen are correctly paid so surely that means removing approx 20% of their income will mean they're NOT paid correctly ?

We clearly aren't going to agree. Especially when you're throwing 20% around. 3 people might potentially lose that much. The reality is the lot of them are on strike when really, they won't lose out at all. Maybe they'll have to do an extra hour or two. Oh, the humanity.

What they've done to the city is disgusting - they should be ashamed bit more than that, get out there and clean up their mess.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Seagulls?

Plenty of loose bags laying around every communal bin in the city, let alone outside every fast food joint.

As a seagull should I take advantage of the plethora of easy opportunities laid at my door right now, or fight and struggle to open a wheelie bin lid when right beside me is a feast of leftovers just covered by a really thin layer of black plastic?

Errrrrr........

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Out of order. I certainly have not and that is a very cheap jibe. I understand why you made the inference, but you're well off mark there. I reiterate what I said previously - honest work is honest work and I will never attempt to put anyone down for whatever job they may do.

Neither do I, but you've had quite a good go at the bin men. Seemingly an expect on their hours and pay to boot.

I haven't made any inference or suggested you have.

You mentioned never being a student and working hard. How is that relevant ? Do students not work hard ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We clearly aren't going to agree. Especially when you're throwing 20% around. 3 people might potentially lose that much. The reality is the lot of them are on strike when really, they won't lose out at all. Maybe they'll have to do an extra hour or two. Oh, the humanity.

What they've done to the city is disgusting - they should be ashamed bit more than that, get out there and clean up their mess.

It's not their mess. It's yours.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Dropped a couple of sacks at the tip on the way to work this morning.
Only added about 10 minutes to my day.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Whatever you think of the strike businesses, visitors and residents need to take more responsibility and not expect someone to clean up after them.
Explain? Who else is meant to clear up after them if not the binmen???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think about this problem quite a lot. No idea what the answer is. We generate all this crap and expect others to deal with it.

I'd vote for a council that charges to take away domestic refuse by weight. Start the charge off at the median.

I'd definitely be more careful about what I throw away but more importantly what I buy - if I knew it was costing me more.

If I buy something with what I consider to be unreasonable packaging, I leave the excess with the shop.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Reduce my council tax and I'll stop expecting my rubbish to be cleared up. Simple.

I'm talking about a temporary measure whilst they are not fulfilling their roles rather than guiding the city towards a slum like existence.

As an aside, people should become better versed on 'take it home'. The amount of people that will leave bags to the sides of bins or put stuff in an already overflowing bin is ludicrous.

If everyone took this advice then the bin men would all lose their jobs!

Well, although impossible, I would want a waste free society!

Explain? Who else is meant to clear up after them if not the binmen???

I'm not excusing their first unofficial strike. They are legitimately striking the second time round. It is pointless to put the rubbish out if it is not going to be collected.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I think about this problem quite a lot. No idea what the answer is. We generate all this crap and expect others to deal with it.

I'd vote for a council that charges to take away domestic refuse by weight. Start the charge off at the median.

I'd definitely be more careful about what I throw away but more importantly what I buy - if I knew it was costing me more.

If I buy something with what I consider to be unreasonable packaging, I leave the excess with the shop.
I agree with you in principal, but I believe its not down to the council, but down to central government to impose harsh penalties on manufactures over packaging, not the council to fine residents for taking away the domestic waste.

In an ideal world, people would only buy stuff without unnecessary packing. But we don't live in an ideal world.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I'm not excusing their first unofficial strike. They are legitimately striking the second time round. It is pointless to put the rubbish out if it is not going to be collected.
So what else are people meant to do with it? I think given a choice, rather than have it stinking up my apartment, I'd rather throw it out in the street if I'm perfectly honest!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree with you in principal, but I believe its not down to the council, but down to central government to impose harsh penalties on manufactures over packaging, not the council to fine residents for taking away the domestic waste.

In an ideal world, people would only buy stuff without unnecessary packing. But we don't live in an ideal world.

Not sure we disagree. It's probably easier to sway public opinion to change supermarkets behaviour.

If people could see a way of saving money with their waste, they would actively change their buying habits.

It's happening to me. I have the lowest council tax in the country but quite restrictive refuse regulations. Old fashioned bin, no wheelie bins round here. Have to pay extra cash for anything else to be taken away.

Difficult to get builders to take rubbish away either.

Don't want to pay the extra charges - so re use what I can. Just had a door frame and a few studs taken out. I am now growing cucumbers in it.

And as mentioned leave a lot of packaging in the shop.

It saves me money.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So what else are people meant to do with it? I think given a choice, rather than have it stinking up my apartment, I'd rather throw it out in the street if I'm perfectly honest!!

Well obviously it is not going to be possible for everyone to make alternative arrangements, but I am sure not everyone is being sensible.

It's a shame to see so much recyclable material mixed up with household waste.

I agree with Clapham on every point, but there is the concern that people will turn to flytipping if charges were levied on weight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports