Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This binman strike...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was talking about the current strike. The 2 day action last month was unofficial and started on the day the pay review was revealed to the binmen and the council gave notice of a 90 day consultation period.

I'm well aware of that. That is the strike in was referring to.

Ffs

Go and live in Cuba.

Inequalities in society ..... This is the real world

Should a rubbish collector be paid the same as an accountant, manager etc
I'm not denying that the real world is rife with inequalities. The point I'm making is that the Green-led City Council are constantly proclaiming their belief in the principles of fairness and equality. Their leadership doesn't seem to have noticed that the policy that they are pursuing in connection with this dispute runs completely contrary to what they imagine they believe in. And even a good proportion of Green Party members and Green Party councillors have worked that out.

Oct 25, 2003
Like 15K is going to go very far to support a family in this now-dormitory town of Londoners inflating everything to crazy levels - apart from wages in the town. Maybe you expect public sector workers to commute to their bin depots from miles away. Shameful.

i'm currently applying for a job at 11k...i'd love 15k

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
PS Anyone who has a car and still puts their rubbish in their bin at the moment is an idiot, take it to the tip, and maybe take your elderly neighbours rubbish too, and just for once maybe take the students next doors rubbish, stops it cluttering up your street?

I would point out most of my elderly neighbours already do this. Three times I've taken my recycling (6 x weeks worth) to the local ASDA bins. Unlike the students around here, several of whom have rather nice motors. How many bags can I get on the back of your bike btw?:smile:
Also when do you think is an appropriate time to withhold a bit of my council tax?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm not denying that the real world is rife with inequalities. The point I'm making is that the Green-led City Council are constantly proclaiming their belief in the principles of fairness and equality. Their leadership doesn't seem to have noticed that the policy that they are pursuing in connection with this dispute runs completely contrary to what they imagine they believe in. And even a good proportion of Green Party members and Green Party councillors have worked that out.

Absolutely right. Went to Brighton today just reminded me of the late 70s in places when the Labour government were also struggling with a similar problem.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Could it be that their chances of finding another job might be virtually nil? You are not playing devil's advocate yxee, just being a tw@t

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
17k for someone emptying bins 37 hours a week it is a living wage and no more than that deserves

The government don't agree otherwise they wouldn't give tax credits on that amount.

And if you got your job for £11k and then a couple of years down the line your employer decided you were only going to get £9k and you could protest about it with the risk of victimisation, would you lie back and take the pay cut or would you protest?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The government don't agree otherwise they wouldn't give tax credits on that amount.

And if you got your job for £11k and then a couple of years down the line your employer decided you were only going to get £9k and you could protest about it with the risk of victimisation, would you lie back and take the pay cut or would you protest?

Or would he just decide he didn't fancy working for a couple of days and send his place of work towards a cesspit?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
No, they should get more - the refuse collectors do something useful for society!

Agree... I'd like to see some of these people saying 'They are just binmen, they don't deserve more than 15k a year to live on' getting up at 5am, 5+ days a week to take everyone else's shit away. The ignorance is astounding

Most of the sad, bitter, opinionated old turds on this forum would struggle to lift a full bin, let alone do it as a full time job.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
The average Brighton bin man currently earns around 22k (this is not the basic but is with overtime etc)

Doesn't seem excessive, for doing a useful job. Having seen what the centre of town's like today, and imagining what it'll be like after a week's strike is a helpful reminder of what an important, under- valued job this is.
Can't understand why so many half wits on here are slagging the bin men off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Genuinely interested. Don't know your circumstances, suspect you may be a single bloke, but if you had a family to support would you be able to live in Brighton on that? And what would be your reaction of reading the bile on here towards you trying to stop money being taken out of your pocket by your employer?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Bit like public transport workers. Apparently an unskilled worthless job and yet everyone complains when they stop doing it.

We take these people for granted.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bit like public transport workers. Apparently an unskilled worthless job and yet everyone complains when they stop doing it.

Quite. Independent Financial Advisers or Mortgage Advisers, to take two examples plucked out of the ether, could go on strike indefinitely and nobody would give a shit. Ever.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Quite. Independent Financial Advisers, to take an example plucked out the air, could go on strike indefinitely and nobody would give a shit. Ever.

I raise you football agents, professional lobbyists, life coaches. The list is endless.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

People would complain about ailments if doctors and nurses went on strike or what-have-you.

There are many occupations that would be missed if they gave them up. It doesn't mean that one should roll over and give them what they want for the sake of it without a proper discussion.

Perhaps those profession which would not notably be missed should earn less and contribute more to those who make an obvious difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here