Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Argus letter writer doesn't rate the Amex catering too highly

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's all part of "the experience" .. which is way the Swan is packed to the rafters pre match. I think many want to make more of it than just the match and for me pre match is about a few beers, some nosh etc.

I'm not a 1901 but I guess they bought into this as well and the Amex was like their Swan ... but they've been priced out and the quality has gone down the pan. I can see where they are coming from

I agree, in part. Some of those at The Swan and various other pubs see that as their match day experience, for me it would rarely be 1901 I do enjoy a couple of beers and a piglet's pie on the concourse. I just think the focus on food is going too far. There are close on 30,000 people to consider in this debate and a fair few are interested in the price of "dining", I'd wager the vast majority would rather the focus was on the promised land of the Premiership and not a Michelin Star? :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Isn't this about choice?

If I'm hungry (as I will be this lunchtime) I can go to the local deli and pick up a cheese and pickle baguette or get in a cab and go to Claridge's.

I will probably choose the baguette by the way.

Similarly with football, some people think the food and beer is too expensive, so don't buy it others, like me, think I'd like it therefore I'll buy it. I wouldn't often consider a three course lunch before a match because it's not what I'd want, however, for that special occasion I'd look at the price, what's on offer and make my decision.

Nobody is forcing 1901s to buy it, are they?

Why not have your posh nosh in Brighton pre-match and then pop to The Amex for a final pint before sitting down to watch the game.

Markets forces will always dictate the price of these event catering deals, if nobody buys it the price will come down or the offering will change.

Agreed it's all about market forces but the club want ( possibly need ) that money in their till rather than others. So they need to offer something people want and think is worth buying so that they can make profit.

It wouldn't be so bad if Barber hadn't come out with his rather sulky comment around he doesn't understand why people decide to eat elsewhere. Well the answer for Barber is that because the food, quality and value is shockingly bad in the dining experience at the Amex. If he wants people to use it he needs to pull his finger out and sort - and by the sounds of it quickly as once people find new habits he'll struggle to get them back.

I'll predict something along the lines of the following - they won't sort it and at the beginning of next season they'll downgrade the food offering with Barber stating something like "well it's the fans fault - they didn't bother using the facility so we had no choice but to downgrade it".

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yes of course it's about choice. But why does the FOOTBALL club even offer food? It's to try and make more money so that people don't sit on NSC and moan all through the transfer windows that we haven't signed anybody decent. People are just offering their opinions on how this particular branch of the club's revenue stream can be maximised. Hopefully your last sentence about market forces will prove to be accurate.

I appreciate that however little is ever going to be made from catering, market forces WILL change the price but also the offering. As I've already said this is about 30,000 people on match day, I'd say most are fairly happy with what they get and how they get it. If I was entertaining I'd pay it but I'd expect it to be reasonable, I agree, which is probably why I'd entertain elsewhere than a football club.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Nobody is forcing 1901s to buy it, are they?

No they are not, which is why they aren't.

Why not have your posh nosh in Brighton pre-match and then pop to The Amex for a final pint before sitting down to watch the game.

That is exactly what they are doing.

Markets forces will always dictate the price of these event catering deals, if nobody buys it the price will come down or the offering will change.

It doesn't look that way based on what's happened so far. So far, the changes are in the opposite direction, dearer, and not what the fans (customers) want. Massive fail on the clubs part.

Ther thing is, the offer is so appaling, that is what the complaint is about. Not really the price, the £90 & £70 meal offers are quite cheap in the scheme of corporate football eating in the Championship. However, the 1901 Club was not sold as a corporate package, and for 2 seasons around 500 people per match have paid for, by choice, a £40 meal. Now, around 40 people eat a meal (including the 'buffet') each match. There are 2 reasons, 1, the price for a meal has doubled, 2, the alternative ('buffet') is unappealing, unpopular, apparantly not good and not what the members want.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Of course you've forgotten where this could end up, with an NSC led committee in charge of the menu choice, procurement, cooking and serving.

My vote's on ERNEST heading this up!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Of course you've forgotten where this could end up, with an NSC led committee in charge of the menu choice, procurement, cooking and serving.

My vote's on ERNEST heading this up!

Post of the day :laugh:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I appreciate that however little is ever going to be made from catering, market forces WILL change the price but also the offering. As I've already said this is about 30,000 people on match day, I'd say most are fairly happy with what they get and how they get it. If I was entertaining I'd pay it but I'd expect it to be reasonable, I agree, which is probably why I'd entertain elsewhere than a football club.

To be fair, I don't hear too many complaints about food and service in the concourses. There are some, but as a proportion of what we hear in 1901, it's miniscule. Hey, I even had the barman in WSU offer to top up my pint after he poured a slightly lively one.

However, many in 1901 feel they're not getting value for money. That, and the club's response is at the heart of the letter writer's ire. It's a brave person who criticises his customers in the hope of attracting them back, especially at a time when many are voicing concerns.

I'm sure this is all very get-roundable, and probably without too much tweaking. What might help is a customer-led answer, rather than a supplier-led one.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
What might help is a customer-led answer, rather than a supplier-led one.

Correct ... the club want (and need) to make money and the catering is a good opportunity. The "customers" want a reasonable degree of value and quality and from what I've seen accept they will be paying a premium

It's not rocket science and the overly used adage of win/win could easily be applied here

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There is nothing to worry about regarding the food at the stadium, if its crap and/or expensive then folk won't buy it. Eventually the caterers will be forced get the balance right through loss of revenue and we'll all be a lot happier. There is no point Barber holding a gun to our heads, its not our problem. Its HIS.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
That letter was almost certainly written by one of the 1901ers who post on here. Shortlist of three?

Not me , I have the odd pie/burger but never had a sit down meal and probably would not on a regular basis , I would rather have a home cooked meal in a pub before hand . I do spend a lot of money each year on tickets , the club shop and beer at the Amex so I don't really want to hear a minority of fans or the club saying I don't support the club , and we can't buy players for the Premiership because I don't eat at the Amex , it's an insult !!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do wonder how an Albion themed pub close to Brighton Station would do.

Good beers and ciders, simple but high quality and local home-cooked food, Albion memorabilia and Albion (or related eg Championship highlights) stuff on screens.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Not me , I have the odd pie/burger but never had a sit down meal and probably would not on a regular basis , I would rather have a home cooked meal in a pub before hand . I do spend a lot of money each year on tickets , the club shop and beer at the Amex so I don't really want to hear a minority of fans or the club saying I don't support the club , and we can't buy players for the Premiership because I don't eat at the Amex , it's an insult !!!

According to the Argus website, the letter was written by Geoffrey Watts, I don't think he posts on here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I do wonder how an Albion themed pub close to Brighton Station would do.

Good beers and ciders, simple but high quality and local home-cooked food, Albion memorabilia and Albion (or related eg Championship highlights) stuff on screens.

I would imagine it would be HEAVING*

*23 days a year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here