Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking Of Commuting To London Tomorrow ?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So far, 3 days commuting. Total aggregate of 88 minutes delays.

Really good value for money. Such a fair deal.

I really do pity you if your counting minutes of delays - they happen. Accept it, move on and submit delay repay claims where needed.

Also, how much of that delay is actually due to the train companies ? The last couple of days its been power faults and landslides (pic below of todays one).

View attachment 50030

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Well worth the 5K I pay for the privilege.

Isn't it more than 5K though - as this is after you've paid tax? You are having to earn about 6-7K, depending on what tax you pay, to pay for it - unless you get a tax free loan

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
50 miles each way? In rush hour traffic it would probably cost about £5k in fuel alone.

and still take you at least two hours, probably more. still get delays, only from car accidents instead. then pay £10/day car parking anywhere central, and still need to walk/bus/tube the final furlong. and cant have a kip, browse web, read a book. mind you, can listen to your own music and not have to deal with people, so its go that going for it. end of day, the reason people put up with £5k train travel is because alternative is still worse.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I really do pity you if your counting minutes of delays
View attachment 50030

I agree, it's not great, but I want to keep a log to see if it is as bad as I feel it is. We remember the bad journeys mush more than the others, but without having my own tangible figures to go on, it's difficult to say whether it's more in the mind or real.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Isn't it more than 5K though - as this is after you've paid tax? You are having to earn about 6-7K, depending on what tax you pay, to pay for it - unless you get a tax free loan

Or if you're a contractor and can take it as an "expense"...

and still take you at least two hours, probably more. still get delays, only from car accidents instead. then pay £10/day car parking anywhere central, and still need to walk/bus/tube the final furlong. and cant have a kip, browse web, read a book. mind you, can listen to your own music and not have to deal with people, so its go that going for it. end of day, the reason people put up with £5k train travel is because alternative is still worse.

Yes I think not having to deal with people (at least in person) is the only benefit of driving. I almost had an embarrassing moment yesterday, the guy next to me had his music on really loudly to the point where I could hear it with my headphones, I turned to tell him to turn it down only to discover he had a hearing aid.

We passed just the 2 broken down trains this morning, one of which deposited its entire passenger-load on to our train at Preston Park. Despite that it was almost on time into London Bridge, weird.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yes I think not having to deal with people (at least in person) is the only benefit of driving. I almost had an embarrassing moment yesterday, the guy next to me had his music on really loudly to the point where I could hear it with my headphones, I turned to tell him to turn it down only to discover he had a hearing aid.

Sorry, that made me chuckle. Other peoples' habits are one of the worst things, and if it wasn't for iPods, I may have gone postal along time ago. This morning i had a guy permanently texting - which I wouldn't mind, but he had his key-click on - rather thoughtless IMO.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone know what my annual season ticket gold discount gives me? Is it only valid on Southern, or is it valid on any train? I.e could I book a Virgin train, and use my gold card discount ? Can't really seem to find any detail around this.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sorry, that made me chuckle. Other peoples' habits are one of the worst things, and if it wasn't for iPods, I may have gone postal along time ago. This morning i had a guy permanently texting - which I wouldn't mind, but he had his key-click on - rather thoughtless IMO.

I was actually chuckling to myself about it too, he also had BO which occasionally wafted in my direction, there's no excuse for that.

I can never understand people who have the key-click on, if I have it on my own phone it annoys ME.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I can never understand people who have the key-click on, if I have it on my own phone it annoys ME.

Big bug-bear with me, unless you have sight problems, I never see a need for it, and if you have other people around you, well ...... but then some people are just oblivious to others.

Does anyone know what my annual season ticket gold discount gives me? Is it only valid on Southern, or is it valid on any train? I.e could I book a Virgin train, and use my gold card discount ? Can't really seem to find any detail around this.

I think it only relates to journeys wholly within the old "Network South East" area (remember that?) but no doubt the National Rail website will confirm or otherwise.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Gold Cards are valid within the network railcard area - map on the link below. Any TOC too. Furthest you could use it on a Virgin service is Milton Keynes.

http://www.railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/files/map.pdf

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Or if you're a contractor and can take it as an "expense"...

We passed just the 2 broken down trains this morning, one of which deposited its entire passenger-load on to our train at Preston Park. Despite that it was almost on time into London Bridge, weird.

I have yet to have an on time train on the way to work so far this year.

The best Southern managed was 7 minutes late.

Still it is not all bad. Had 3 delay repay returns in last few days. Just a dozen or so more due to come.

Tulip

May 3, 2008
Brighton
3 delay repays for me this week - and i was on the train that dumped everyone at PP - I waited for the next Victoria one as I wasnt prepared to stand all the way to London Bridge to travel back to Victoria. Shitty Gatwick Express Trains...

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
3 delay repays for me this week - and i was on the train that dumped everyone at PP - I waited for the next Victoria one as I wasnt prepared to stand all the way to London Bridge to travel back to Victoria. Shitty Gatwick Express Trains...

I was on the Littlehampton train that stopped at Preston Park whilst yours was due to leave. Pity they did not let any of you guys on our train.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Southern managed a definite improvement today. 18 minutes late into Victoria this morning. Only 9 late back to Three Bridges. Signalling problem at Gatwick and power supply difficulties at Balham were the excuses today.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Southern managed a definite improvement today. 18 minutes late into Victoria this morning. Only 9 late back to Three Bridges. Signalling problem at Gatwick and power supply difficulties at Balham were the excuses today.

Considering the major power supply issues at Balham - 18 and 9 minutes late is pretty bloody good going considering 30+ minutes was the average for pretty much everything.

They seriously need to look at the reliability of the power supply as its pretty much been the main cause of delays this year.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Considering the major power supply issues at Balham - 18 and 9 minutes late is pretty bloody good going considering 30+ minutes was the average for pretty much everything.

They seriously need to look at the reliability of the power supply as its pretty much been the main cause of delays this year.

I realise the fault lies with Network Rail rather than Southern, though their information could be far better. However, to me it just shows the daft nature of the fragmented railway we now have. Although they of course suffer problems too, South West Trains has a different arrangement, where their Managing Director is in charge of something called a Deep Alliance, which brings together both SWT and NR staff, meaning disruption can be handled far quicker. Something which ought to happen with Southern too, though I would personally prefer a return to British Rail. Mind you, Network Rail disruption does not give FCC an excuse for running 4 coach trains. These are often full at Three Bridges, then all the Gatwick passengers with their luggage get on.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Another crap day on the trains, 11:42 from Shoreham to Victoria cancelled, no explanation, just didn't stop here. Brilliant, thanks, another meeting I'll be late for.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Fun times for me this morning too, my London Bridge train was diverted to Victoria because of a broken down train apparently stopping ANY trains getting to London Bridge from East Croydon :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here