Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Thingy on Bike Handlebar. What is it?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Absolutely not. There is a lever which you can slide around. It doesn't make any noise. It is not a bell!
It's definitely a bell. You'll probably find that the lever bit is on a spring, so you can press and release to make it ding.

It's a legal requirement that all bikes sold in the UK come with them apparently. Even if you were to buy a 10K Pinarello road bike it'd have to be sold with a bell. Most riders will remove it and that's the end of the bell.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Problem solved. I thought it was something to do with the brakes.
The correct answer is indeed a bell! :ffsparr: I've never had a bell that you operated upwards and downwards before, only horizontally!! Well done to all those that posted the correct answer.
I did say the question was from Mr. Thicko here!!!

Oh well, with any luck this thread will slide down into obscurity and the majority of NSCers will never know. As long as nobody bounces it :wink:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The correct answer is indeed a bell! :ffsparr: I've never had a bell that you operated upwards and downwards before, only horizontally!! Well done to all those that posted the correct answer.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 29

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It's an age thing the problem you're having with your dingaling!
I had no idea how technically advanced bells are today. It's astounding how far they've come over the last sixty years since I last had one!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It's definitely a bell. You'll probably find that the lever bit is on a spring, so you can press and release to make it ding.

It's a legal requirement that all bikes sold in the UK come with them apparently. Even if you were to buy a 10K Pinarello road bike it'd have to be sold with a bell. Most riders will remove it and that's the end of the bell.
I wonder what becomes of all the unwanted bells?

What's the point of having a legal requirement that all bikes sold need to have a bell, but when you ride your bike, there is no legal requirement to have a bell?
What's the point of that?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I had no idea how technically advanced bells are today. It's astounding how far they've come over the last sixty years since I last had one!
Then you'll not have previously seen Schteve McClaren's latest video then?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Question from Mr. Thicko here;
What is the black round thing on my Trek hybrid bike handlebars? I've just bought the bike and noticed it after I got home! I thought I'd ask the experts on here rather than phoning the shop!
I welcome the usual comedy answers along with hopefully a sensible one or two as to what it actually is and does!!
View attachment 166365
Before you take your new bike out, you might want to put a front wheel on it. Or were you riding a unicycle the last time you were out? In which case, where was your bell?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I would have thought you are old enough to remember from your childhood. But since they are rarely used by cyclists these days, probably considered uncool compared to a cry of 'out the way mate', not surprised you have forgotten.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Oh well, like most cyclists you won’t use it on shared spaces with pedestrians so no harm lost 😉

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I wish all cyclists would jingle their bells. We do a lot of walking on quiet, single-lane country roads, and hear cars (even electric) far enough away to move out of the way. The biggest pain is when you hear something and turn around, expecting to see a distant car, only to have to instantly dodge a nearby bike that doesn't have a bell. :mad:

So, use it Jack!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And people on here have accused ME of asking bloody stupid questions !

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
As a bike rider I dont understand why other riders dont have bells, its daft. I have an electronic one on each of my bikes, and it makes riding much easier. A quick ding dong far enough away, walkers or other riders quickly hear and move over-simples- Apart from those who insist on having earphones/buds playing really loud so that dinging, yelling, untill you are right behind them, and then they get all pissy because they havent heard you-or anything else for that matter

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The point of a bell, from my experience, is that on a narrow strip of pathway surrounded by hedge/gorse/nettles, you can politely inform a pedestrian that you are approaching and let them know that they need to climb into the hedge/gorse/nettles in order to allow you to pass. Should they not you then ring it repeatedly and should they turn round and tell you that they are unwilling to tear themselves to pieces/get stung badly you then hurl abuse at them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here