Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Thingy on Bike Handlebar. What is it?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It’s what I’ve always wanted - a machine for vaporising middle lane drivers on the motorway.

but given that bicycles are not allowed on the motorway, it’s a bit pointless.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
It's definitely a bell. You'll probably find that the lever bit is on a spring, so you can press and release to make it ding.

It's a legal requirement that all bikes sold in the UK come with them apparently. Even if you were to buy a 10K Pinarello road bike it'd have to be sold with a bell. Most riders will remove it and that's the end of the bell.
The Highway Code used to stipulate that it was a legal requirement for a bicycl to be fitted with an audible warning device. Those who argued that a warning shout qualified were told that, since a voice was not fitted, it did not qualify. Don't know if it is still in the Highway Code

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
This thread got me thinking - does anyone know what this thingy is? Didn't have one on my BMW

1694682641613.png

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Don’t worry. I once took a laptop back to a shop complaining that it had a shiny casing and not the plain Matt black that was advertised.
The assistant easily removed the protective sticker and the problem was solved.
Must have been a small laptop if it was protected by a sticker. I guess you mean the protective film.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Trouble is, on some of the shared paths round here - the walkers think you're being aggressive and demanding if you ring the bell in advance. They turn and glower at you.

The opposite happened the other day when I was on the prom. I really wasn't in any hurry, and simply slowed down to walking pace behind an old couple - as about 30 yards further on it widened, and I would pass them then. However, a faster walker behind me shouted 'you should just ring your bell - that's what it's for'. Making the old couple in front turn round, and get all apologetic and so on - obviously considering that they were holding me up and so on. I felt awful - and didn't know how to tell the walker to mind her own business!
Yeah tricky one this - I think the best compromise is to ring the bell when you're about 40 yards behind - thats usually enough to make people aware you're approaching without being perceived as aggressive.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Question from Mr. Thicko here;
What is the black round thing on my Trek hybrid bike handlebars? I've just bought the bike and noticed it after I got home! I thought I'd ask the experts on here rather than phoning the shop!
I welcome the usual comedy answers along with hopefully a sensible one or two as to what it actually is and does!!
View attachment 166365
It’s a carolazer. Rider presses the lever 5 times consecutively and bike and rider obliterates into a vapour. Freeing the pavement for the pedestrians

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yeah tricky one this - I think the best compromise is to ring the bell when you're about 40 yards behind - thats usually enough to make people aware you're approaching without being perceived as aggressive.
I live in a place where the average age is quite high. There are a lot of folk who are quite hard of hearing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here