Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things You Wished You'd Done Years Ago

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Surfing. I really enjoy it, but I will never be any good now. Needed to learn while I was still young and lithe.

On similar note, and as above. Stretching. I hate it, but a life-long lack of doing it is really starting to bite.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why do so many middle aged cyclists feel the urge to wear lycra? I'm in my 40s and cycle around 200km a week but have never ever been tempted to wear it as shorts n t-shirt work just fine. :shrug:

Anyway, I wish I'd done more solo travelling in my teens and although I did a heck of a lot of partying there were so many more clubs/raves I wish I'd made it to. I also wish I'd been to see some of the great 80s rock/pop stars perform live in their prime.

In a word.... Comfort.

For the daily short commute, I never wear lycra.

For long rides, it's invaluable. Especially good bib shorts!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Windsurfing. Had a decent rig when I was a kid and spent quite a few Summers through my teens down in the Med, enjoying life on the water, chilling out, and drinking in the beach bars.
Sold all my gear when I went off to college purely to get some cash together...and have never got back on a sailboard since.
Thought about getting back into it on numerous occasions over the last 3 decades, but something always cropped up (work, marriage, kids) Probably too late now at almost 50, with a bad back etc....so have got a paddle-board instead, & enjoying the freedom of being back out there enjoying the peace & quiet every now and again.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Hi BB, I don't mean to pry if you don't feel it's my business, but that's bleeding marvellous.
Could you let us into how you managed to get back into shape please and lose
all that weight. Asking for a friend like ;)

I just decided in my head that I was going to live a healthy lifestyle.

I bought a second hand running machine and use it every day for a year. I could only manage 15 mins per day at first, but got up to 45 mins per day within a few months.

I decided that I would have 3 healthy, normal size meals per day and cut out ALL of the snacks.

I have cereal for breakfast, salad or pasta salad for lunch and fish / meat with veg in the evening.

I still have the occasional treat / unhealthy meal, normally a family get together out meeting up with friends.

Luckily I don't really drink alcohol, so did not have to cut it down or out.

I still exercise 4 mornings a week for around 40 mins and I stick to my healthy eating.

I hover around the 11 and a half stone mark now and have gone from a size 42 inch waist to a 32 inch waist.

I also suffered very badly with an anxiety disorder for around 10 years. My anxiety pretty much disappeared with 6 months of changing my lifestyle. I put this down to exercise.

We all know what is good for us and we all know what is bad for us. It is having the willpower to implement it and stick to it.

A unhealthy lifestyle is a habit, Luckily a healthy lifestyle is also a habit.

Good luck to your friend.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I just decided in my head that I was going to live a healthy lifestyle.

I bought a second hand running machine and use it every day for a year. I could only manage 15 mins per day at first, but got up to 45 mins per day within a few months.

I decided that I would have 3 healthy, normal size meals per day and cut out ALL of the snacks.

I have cereal for breakfast, salad or pasta salad for lunch and fish / meat with veg in the evening.

I still have the occasional treat / unhealthy meal, normally a family get together out meeting up with friends.

Luckily I don't really drink alcohol, so did not have to cut it down or out.

I still exercise 4 mornings a week for around 40 mins and I stick to my healthy eating.

I hover around the 11 and a half stone mark now and have gone from a size 42 inch waist to a 32 inch waist.

I also suffered very badly with an anxiety disorder for around 10 years. My anxiety pretty much disappeared with 6 months of changing my lifestyle. I put this down to exercise.

We all know what is good for us and we all know what is bad for us. It is having the willpower to implement it and stick to it.

A unhealthy lifestyle is a habit, Luckily a healthy lifestyle is also a habit.

Good luck to your friend.

Thanks for sharing that Biscuit. Amazing what you've done. I'll be sure.......sorry, I mean my mate will be
sure to take a leaf out of your book. For me, drinking is the thing that I'm trying to cut down on....
but the rest of what you say is perfectly doable. Ta again.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Driving: I never learnt to drive until my early 30s living in Brighton I always had an excuse not to. Once i passed I didn't realise the amount of extra freedom it provided me.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Invested more time in becoming a 20 goal a session Premier League player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Learnt at least one foreign language (Fluently)

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
You may have already done it years ago, but once you did do it, you wish you'd done it years before that even :thumbsup:

1. Switch to Linux and bin off Windows.

2. Wear cleats on my bike.

3. Buy a network amp and drag myself into the modern era of streaming (whilst still keeping all the old formats).

:shrug: Wish I'd entered in to https://grandtour.procyclinggame.com/home long before....

Its really quite good you know :cheery: ......... and all up and running for La Vuelta :mad: :lolol:

Other than that I wish I could do more to oppose the current self serving corrupt bellends we have in power.

Last edited:

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Start my own independent town planning consultancy. I can pick and choose the work I do and the hours I work. No travelling to an office and no one (except the occasional demanding client) telling what to do!

My income took a hit for couple of years, but now I’m nearly back where I was when I was last an employee. I just miss the banter!

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
A little less ****ing, drinking, partying, smoking and similar stuff, and a little bit more useful stuff - there's some "play now, suffer later" clouds gathering in the sky.

Yup.. I know where you are coming from there... Several health issues since I turned 40..

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Go self employed. had the security of employment for 30 odd years which suited due to mortgage and looking after the kids etc,
but once financially secure i went self employed 10 years and not sure if its the freedom of not having to but and and love every minute of it.
Planned just to do a few days a week but actually do 6 days now happily.
Really wished i had done it sooner.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Been in the right place at the right time ..............................

(and kept my Beatles White Album no. 78)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here