[Misc] Things that the UK actually does rather well

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I would have once said the appreciation and protection of our countryside but now we pump untreated turds into our waterways, fly-tip, and plough through ancient woodland for abandoned rail projects.

And we seem to accept this destruction with a flacid whimper.
Not entirely true - we've always flushed turds into rivers and seas. And your last sentence - depends on the person - just this week Mrs WS refused an interview with SW because she didn't want to work for such a dishonest and destructive company.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1) Overweight and unathletic jogging.
2) Recapturing our youth ( pony tails and buying a motorbike again in your 50/60's )
3) Discarding of litter.
4) Looking cool. Sunglasses on top of the head. Shorts and deck shoes. Paper under one arm. Designer coffee in the other hand.
5) Moaning about the weather. Lineal champions of the world.
6) Wearing leggings, irrespective of size or shape. Bravery beyond the call of duty.
7) Fighting. In our DNA. Any opportunity.
8) Inventing ever changing forms of spoken English.
9) Working out how to screw every last penny out of the state.
10) Vote in politicians to represent our interests, then fail to hold them to account and vote them back in again and expect different results.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Class (as in system)
I'm not sure it is really that clearly defined anymore. The Cleese/Barker/Corbett sketch all those years ago was more appropriate then. Now, the edges have become blurred. Blue collar/ White collar doesn't really exist anymore. Life is much more fluid. Wealth can be created much more quickly now and upward social mobility results.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
The local corner pub
Atlantic cod & chips

That’s the only 2 things I really miss!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m really sorry guys but having slept on this I’m still struggling. Can you give me a little bit more time please? I’m embarrassed by this.
World Wars

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
7) Fighting. In our DNA. Any opportunity.
A while ago I read an account of a visit to England by a European in medieval times - he was a papal envoy or some such. His shocked description of English people could have been written after a night out in most English towns last, or any, weekend. Drinking and fighting does seem to be an English thing down the generations unlike any other nation!

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
What the UK does rather well, according to NSC...

ukwordcloud.png

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
In general, our people. (There are always exceptions, but I still see good people out there working on behalf of others)

Where it still exists, our sense of community. (there’s a lot of places where nobody even knows their next door neighbours, but in the places with the greatest need community still exists)

We do (despite lots of international snobbery) have some incredible food and drink.

Historically we have had incredible “soft” power through music, film and art. We are greatly diminished in this regard, but we have allowed brilliance to flourish before, and I hope we will do so again.

Science, engineering and technology, we have the capability, we are just pathologically incapable of nurturing it into successful world-leading firms without them being wholly purchased by other nations. I do wish we would have a bit of pride in those businesses that do well for Britain, and adopt a model whereby the state held a significant share in our success stories. Nonetheless, the talent is here, sadly often untapped until it moves abroad.

Lots to be proud of in our country, despite monumental governmental mismanagement.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
We English are very good at hanging on in quiet desperation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports