Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things that scare you that shouldn't

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Not scared as such, but I'm very prone to loud noises. Balloons popping unexpectedly, jump scares in movies/Plays, will always make me jump.
My missus finds it hilarious. Particularly when we went to see Ghost stories in the West End.
She insists I shrieked like a girl at one point. I maintain it was a dignified acknowledgement of a well-crafted piece of theatre.

Does a girl shriek differently to a boy then?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not exactly scared, but ever since I was a kid I can't get to sleep if wardrobe doors are open. Even if just an inch ajar.

Coat on the back of the door that looks EXACTLY like a cloaked figure when you're half awake.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
C13A1524-7C7B-49E9-AC56-C7F91F33E439.jpeg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Heights.
Not just any heights but I cannot go anywhere near the edge of a cliff for example, my legs turn to jelly, if anyone else gets near the edge I go into shear panic mode.
I had a scary nightmare that I was banged up in prison and my cell mate was Mouldy Boots.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Having my blood pressure taken. hate it, I can feel the old juice pump hitting over-drive when I see the arm band.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Cyber Men off of Dr Who. Put the fear of christ into me as a child, and still make me feel very uneasy.

My conscious mind says "It's probably a man called Malcolm, a 45 year old jobbing actor from Milton Keynes, dressed up with a badly decorated plastic helmet adorned with some flexi pipe, sweating like mad and finding it awkward to breathe" - but my monkey brain says "Run, you fool - They'll kill you!! :eek:"

View attachment 140083

I used live down the road from a house which had angel statues.. Hated walking past their house after a night shift..

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'm scared of the dark. Have been since I was a kid. I need to read for long enough that I'm basically exhausted before turning out the light.

I maintain it's not so much the dark that scares but the idea of what could be lurking there.

You should wear an eye mask - then you can't see the dark.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
Did I actually lock the door to the loo? I sometimes have to pause my business halfway through to go check, especially in public places.

Many of my toilet visits take twice as long as they should.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Networking events. Literally makes me shudder. The fake smiles and feigned interest in what other people are talking about. I would rather be sat opposite ten stern faced administrators trying to present or sell to them than spend 5 minutes at a business networking event.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I’d rather be in a room with a bear than a wasp.

Hate wasps, completely irrational as let’s face it, how often do they sting people? Maybe once every few years and considering how prevalent the buggers are in summer.

I was at a campsite recently and there was this proper big lump of a bloke, dancing around, arms flailing, look of terror on his face. People looking over.

Woman nearby said to me, ‘ha ha how ridiculous, it’s only a wasp!’. I thought to myself, ‘I feel for you brother’,,,,

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Sharks and piranha fish. The film Jaws is undoubtedly responsible for the former. The film Piranha is probably responsible for the latter, although it might not have had the same effect on me if I hadn't first seen Jaws.

Jaws has affected me to the point where even if I am treading water in deep waters (less so when swimming and horizontal) off the coast of Hove I get a mild panic attack about what is lurking unseen beneath me leading me to swim quickly back to the shore. I always feel more vulnerable if I am not swimming and my legs are dangling downwards.

When I was younger I had a fear of werewolves for maybe a year or so after watching the 1935 film The Werewolf of London, but I eventually grew out of that phobia when I realised that the threat that Werewolves represented was negligible.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
When someone you know is slightly "off" with you, not chatty, etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Heights.
Not just any heights but I cannot go anywhere near the edge of a cliff for example, my legs turn to jelly, if anyone else gets near the edge I go into shear panic mode.

I hate heights even to the point of hating flying.

I’m also scared of water, nearly drowning when I was 4, when shingle shifted under my feet whilst paddling at Black Rock, and a wave came over the groyne. I finally learned to swim at 65 but will only swim within my depth. I still can’t relax enough to float.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here