Things that annoy you on TV

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
S4C
News and shows like the One Show, where they sit pretty much on top of each other, introduce each other and say alternate lines.
Any "talent" show
All medical drama/documentaries. My missus loves them, but they are always on whilst I'm having my dinner and there's usually blood, gore and puke flying around the screen and i am very squeemish!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A couple of things which are on the rise and really infuriating.

Firstly when you watch a programme and they spend the first 3-4 minutes showing you what you're about to watch, thus taking any surprise element out of it.

Secondly when they come back from a break and spend the first few minutes reminding us what has happened so far, as if you can't remember as far back as 5 minutes ago.

Thirdly Family Fortunes, a classic gameshow which has been doubled in time and has the abhorrant Vernon Kay presenting celebrities winning prizes and generally pissing themselves at everything he utters.

:rant:

I have Tevo. None of these things exist in my world anymore. Drag yourself into the 21st Century. A wise man, a clever man realises you can be the master of entertainment my friend. The worm has turned.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Just about everything on it - which is why I have almost given it up.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Any Television show that gives airtime to non-entities whose only talent is being dumb and vain.

The dumbing down of everything on TV.

ITV.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Pretty much everything. All soap operas. All 'reality' shows. All 'talent' shows. Any show which propagates the idea that you can just drop 'celebrities' into any format and you've got television, and the endless, vacuous, paper-thin culture of fame that this feeds off and into.

Go Compare adverts. Ambulance-chasing legal firm adverts. Loan company adverts.

The fact that you now have to pay specifically to have sport on the TV, because with the odd exception of protected events, the terrestrial channels can no longer compete for it. That fact that, despite hating that fact, I do still pay.

Apart from the odd honourable exception (the 'Wonders of..' series were magnificent) and a bit of comedy, sport's pretty much the only thing I watch on TV now.

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Adverts for PPI or loans! That's all it seems to be!.........maybe I'm watching too much daytime TV! And when Sky Sports News talk about Rugby.......

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Big Brother... I was so excited when i thought this had finally end, only for it to be moved to a different f**king channel.. WHo the hell watches this shit

Reality TV.. and allt he shitty sob stories... These are the baine of society. Now every young kid just wants to be famous and rich through this shit. Making talentless c**ts like Jedwood and Frankie Cocozza set up financially for life.

The Only Way IS Essex... WTF... :shootself

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
EVERY "reality" show.
EVERY talent show.
EVERY show with competing "celebrities". (See "reality show and "talent" show for details)
EVERY soap opera.

Right. Of the 15% of TV that's left, why do we get tasters on C4, E4, which then get scooped up by aSKY channel, so that you have to pay for them. e.g. True Blood, Being Erica.
IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU.

This

This

Any Television show that gives airtime to non-entities whose only talent is being dumb and vain.

The dumbing down of everything on TV.

ITV.

This

And THIS!

Thankfully, Nibble has the answer:

I have Tevo. None of these things exist in my world anymore. Drag yourself into the 21st Century. A wise man, a clever man realises you can be the master of entertainment my friend. The worm has turned.

I don't have Tevo, but I record the things I know I'll want to watch, or watch them online.

What I do miss from that is the genuine 'event' TV - where everyone's talking about the programme the next day and it becomes a bit of a ritual (if a series) that loads of people are involved in. I also used to enjoy channel surfing and occasionally getting drawn into something I wouldn't have picked out to watch. There is so much utter bilge on the box that it just isn't worth the bother...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A couple of things which are on the rise and really infuriating.

Firstly when you watch a programme and they spend the first 3-4 minutes showing you what you're about to watch, thus taking any surprise element out of it.

Secondly when they come back from a break and spend the first few minutes reminding us what has happened so far, as if you can't remember as far back as 5 minutes ago.

Thirdly Family Fortunes, a classic gameshow which has been doubled in time and has the abhorrant Vernon Kay presenting celebrities winning prizes and generally pissing themselves at everything he utters.

:rant:

The "firstly" and "secondly" you refer to are pure US production values. They treat everyone as if they have the attention span of a GNAT so a lot of their programmes are full of flashbacks, flashforwards, and talking heads about the thing you just saw about 7 times. An average 30 minute programme of this type will have about 6 or 7 minutes of actual CONTENT within, if you get me.

For a prime example see: Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA.

It's f***ing horrifying television for retards.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

This is spot on... Tivo is the way forward... no adverts... no need to watch shit TV...

The one downfall is since i got Virgin... i havent been to the gym for 6 weeks and i am fast becoming a couch potato of the highest order...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The "firstly" and "secondly" you refer to are pure US production values. They treat everyone as if they have the attention span of a GNAT so a lot of their programmes are full of flashbacks, flashforwards, and talking heads about the thing you just saw about 7 times. An average 30 minute programme of this type will have about 6 or 7 minutes of actual CONTENT within, if you get me.

For a prime example see: Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA.

It's f***ing horrifying television for retards.

It's also to do with saving money. They know paying for 20 minutes of footage will cover a 55 minute program easily.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's also to do with saving money. They know paying for 20 minutes of footage will cover a 55 minute program easily.

It's completely soul destroying to watch. I can't explain how much I hate shows produced in this style. It's completely shallow entertainment, at no point are you able to connect with anyone or anything that's happening.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's completely soul destroying to watch. I can't explain how much I hate shows produced in this style. It's completely shallow entertainment, at no point are you able to connect with anyone or anything that's happening.

It's soulless piffle. I could count on one hand the amount of progs I will watch in a week, usually documentaries or a good comedy like Blackadder. Even though I hail Tevo, yo ustill only have the choice of the shit that channels decide to "offer". TV as we knew it is over, I'm not sure I'l miss it.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Poppy bloody Trowbridge.
Rich twa*s asking for me to donate money.
Tampax adverts.......I know you have to have them girls......but ffs!!!!
Matthew smarmy Wright and his brain dead guests.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Background actors in pub/crowd scenes. The conversation they appear to be having whilst smiling smugly is beyond guesswork. About swinging I suspect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports