Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

These thick as shit players ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The mistake that Dale Stephens made was to go onto a social media site and vent his frustration to all and sundry. However disappointed he felt at not achieving his desired move to a PL club, then and there was not the place to air his grievances. He is a contracted employee and has now let his employer know exactly how he feels. Even worse, he has let the fanbase of this club know exactly how he feels. This is a fanbase that pays a lot of money to support this club and they don't want to hear that a player feels he has been robbed of an opportunity elsewhere. The fans are proud to wear the club colours and they expect players, whilst they are at the club, to be proud of wearing the colours as well. Even if they do want to move away, the fans expect an element of dignity and silence. They don't want to listen to players saying that they are not in the right frame of mind to play and they don't want to listen to players complaining that the club that pays them a handsome salary is holding them back in life.

Should we be surprised that players now go public with their feelings. No. The whole world is a maelstrom of instant information. Very little is private anymore. People share their lives, their innermost thoughts on social media channels for all to see. Players post comments about games/other players pre match/post match whenever. The dichotemy now is that fans feel close to the players via social media but in reality there is little contact elsewhere. Not that long ago you could talk to players as they arrived at grounds. They would sign autographs, pose for pictures and mingle. Now, you never see them at home games and at away games, like every other set of players, they disembark, head-phones on, staring straight ahead and into the ground. No contact, nothing. Maybe footballers feel they don't have to bother anymore. As fewer and fewer hometown boys make it into their clubs, maybe the passion that ties one to a club and its fans is missing. Maybe for many of them now it is just a job of work and they will do anything it takes to keep climbing the ladder and earning more money. Maybe thats no different from the rest of the business world. Jobs for life just don't exist anymore. Here today, gone tomorrow for more bucks.

Its clear footballers from a very young age are now cossetted and pampered like never before. They barely have to lift a finger. Everything is done for them. No real responsibility, other than making sure the alarm clock is set for 9.30am. They are treated like high achievers when they are, in fact, novices. Lack of responsibilty sometimes breeds complacency and sometimes breeds arrogance. Not always but the likelihood is always there. It depends on advice. From parents, from the club and from agents who control their lives and set the agenda. Agents who have flooded into the game as soon as the big money arrived and will be the first ones out of it, if it ever crashes and burns. Most of these individuals are in it for personal gain. They purport to represent the interests of their clients but in reality, their well-being comes first.

Footballers and agents pull all the strings now and control the game. They know they can get a manager sacked by downing tools. They are protected. They don't carry the can for any failure, they just get dropped on full wages. Some are paid more in one day than millions of people in this country earn in a year. They are in a different league now and have lifestyles that don't truly represent what they contribute to society.

Dale Stephens is no different from many footballers today. A decent player but not hugely talented. Swept along on this tide of enthusiasm to reach the promised land, the Premier League. The holy grail. Where designer wives proliferate, where Bentleys are second cars and where agents tell their clients that they are world-beaters and should be playing elsewhere. Where contact with the fans is occasional and grudging. Where reality has flown out of the window.
Footballers should be seen and not heard.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There has not always been detachment. I remember fondly travelling home on the train with the team. Norman Gall making sure I was alright when I caught my eye on a train window catch and chatting with Eddie Spearritt about his niece. Seems like a different world.

Yep - happy days when you could have a game of cricket in Hove Park with the players after training. These times were the basis of my love for the Albion and support of the club come what may. No real bother about what division we were in - the sense of camaraderie with the club and fans alike. Just to turn up on a saturday and just enjoy being there. OK, there was an issue that clubs were ripping off players and we all hoped that the threatened strike would give players their due and everything would be OK.
How wrong I was. I have absolutely no empathy with or sympathy for the modern professional footballer whatever division they are in.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
At the next home game, if DS starts, what will be going through his mind?
Will he be slightly nervous about playing, fearing some sections of the crowd will be on his back?
After what he has said and done, surely it would be counterproductive to boo/berate him, given that we do sort of need him to play.
It will be down to him to make his apologies on the pitch, by sticking the ball in the opposition's net.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Oh, that real world where £10K a week is considered pretty normal?

They are entertainers and part of a select few that can do what they do so get paid accordingly. At the top of the game players get slagged off for earning millions but nobody bats an eyelid when someone like Elton John or George Michael rake in millions because of their unique talent.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I won't hold this against Stephens provided he gives his all for the rest of this season.

The bottom line is he signed a contract and once it's up he's a free agent to go where he pleases.
This ^^^^^

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As others have said I don't think it was the best idea to take to Twitter with the comments he made, I would have liked him to say he is going to get on with the job in hand at Brighton to try and achieve promotion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They are entertainers and part of a select few that can do what they do so get paid accordingly. At the top of the game players get slagged off for earning millions but nobody bats an eyelid when someone like Elton John or George Michael rake in millions because of their unique talent.

That's my answer to friends who criticise footballers in general for being so highly paid. Pop stars, film stars earn more for longer. My choice of entertainment is football.

Dale's allowed his feelings get the better of him, late at night, and probably regrets that tweet now. Calde was forgiven for wanting to talk to Southampton, so let's hope Dale can produce the goods on the field, to win back the fans.
Fans are fickle, love to have a moan, but win a game or two and it'll all blow over.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I think this does deserve another thread because in contrast to the Dale Stephens thread it is about the reaction of some fans rather than the player. There is a hypocricy at work here where if any of our players wish to leave then they are the devils spawn whereas it is deemed perfectly reasonable to tempt the best players at other 'smaller' clubs including for derisory money. Connor Goldson was an absolute steal from Shrewsbury but I don't remember any threads on here comparing the Albion to Burnley as cheapskates.Clearly DS is not the first player to look for a move and submit a late transfer request. He is also entitled to his view about events. This then is not about that but rather an excuse to vent dislike at modern football.The money in football is crazy but that's not the fault of DS. I for one feel that despite the money, the players have never been more connected to the fans (at this club anyway) and that's partly due to their interaction with fans on social media and partly their passion and workrate. It is so easy for negativity to creep in, a few weeks ago it was coffee in 1901 and whatever else and now one of our best players is taking the brunt of it. Seriously, move on and accept that the player 's financial interests do not tally with your own but that is no reason to dislike him or anyone else.

Totally agree.
There is a pomposity in some of the comments that conveniently forgets that plenty of Charlton fans were unhappy when we signed Stephens. Is social media making fans more precious?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Totally agree.
There is a pomposity in some of the comments that conveniently forgets that plenty of Charlton fans were unhappy when we signed Stephens. Is social media making fans more precious?

I think social media gives fans a platform for their whinges. I've heard some moans at the pub & the Amex, along the lines of ' I pay their wages'. I suspect there's also an element of jealousy, because the players are living the dream.
Ticket money is a small drop in the ocean towards player wages, with sponsors, tv money & Blooms investment. Fans should lose their sense of entitlement.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Don't have to "like" the players, same as I probably wouldn't like my favourite music stars if I met them. Sometimes they seem great (met Johnny Byrne briefly at Worthing podiatry clinic and he was a thoroughly humble and likeable chap); Inigo obviously has real feeling for the club etc but most of the rest are just employees and I don't begrudge them. Stephens comments don't bother me a bit. Tony's gamble may back fire on him/us but let's see. I rather like that we have been a bit "different" again (not unique) and said feck it you're staying. He's a very good player. If it doesn't work out then ce la vie! Do feel it's game-on now though!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don’t expect Stephens harbour any love for BHA. Bottom line, he’s a professional footballer. BUT there are ways and means of going about a transfer, and slapping in a transfer request a few hours before the window closes certainly isn't one of them. Added to the fact he went and pulled the old Bridcutt classic “my heads not right boss”, effectively making himself unselectable for a couple of games – games in which we clearly missed him, and dropped points.

Had he got his head down and carried on playing for us and then got his move then fine, I’d have absolutely NO issue with that whatsoever. Nobody can blame a player for wanting a PL contract that could set him up for life, he’d have gone with my thanks. But the way he has conducted himself lately has left a very sour taste, and I don’t think his “honesty” in that tweet has done anything to remove it. It’s a symptom of the system, this ridiculous transfer window that stays open into the start of the season. But players, while under contract, OWE us their full commitment until such time as they move on. And from the tone of that tweet, I genuinely wonder what kind of Dale Stephens we’re going to get between now and whenever it is he slings his hook.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh, that real world where £10K a week is considered pretty normal?

In footballing parlance, it is. Heard a comment on the radio yesterday about wages and it was suggesting that top PL players are not out of step with other high earners in other sports, F1 for example or some of the North American sports. How much does Adelle earn from her album sales and tours and what about the Rolling Stones, how much do they net from a world tour?

As for the real world, I am more referring to the way transfer deals take place and the reality that footballers are employees, they are not necessarily life long fans. If I had the good fortune to be a footballer, then I would want to play at the highest level I could. I might fail but I would want to test myself at that level. Anyone on here who says different is kidding themselves. And yes, the money does come into it. You have the chance to probably double your salary for the next four years. Who wouldn't take that into consideration.

It's been said before when the subject of wages comes up but how many of those slagging of the high wages are quite happy to pay their Sky subscriptions to fund the wages? CJD seems to be located in La Rochelle so I wouldn't be surprised if he has a subscription. Even if he hasn't, I suspect the majority of those complaining don't mind sitting down in the comfy sofa on Sundays to watch a few games!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don’t expect Stephens harbour any love for BHA. Bottom line, he’s a professional footballer. BUT there are ways and means of going about a transfer, and slapping in a transfer request a few hours before the window closes certainly isn't one of them. Added to the fact he went and pulled the old Bridcutt classic “my heads not right boss”, effectively making himself unselectable for a couple of games – games in which we clearly missed him, and dropped points.

Where has it been reported that he stated his head wasn't right rather than a decision made by CH?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
premier league spending nudging 2 billion.........spikes put on ledges outside shops in london to stop the homeless sleeping there...:thumbsup: , stephens could have done himself a massive favour by just taking to the pitch and letting his game do the talking .....'sall old bollarks...!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where has it been reported that he stated his head wasn't right rather than a decision made by CH?

Bridcutt never said his head wasn't right either. Nathan Jones said that to Oscar, which was why Bridcutt wasn't selected for the squad.

I appreciate that many peoples view of Stephens is that if we were offered the opportunity to double our salary for at least a year, we may well have behaved the same as this ungrateful scrote.

However, football is unique among business modules. The players wages are dependant upon generous Chairman , sponsors and supporters.

To put some pathetic weasel, whinging excuse for his utterly selfish attitude on twitter is beyond contempt for those who pay money from their pockets just to pay someone to have 'fun' kicking a football.

We will of course put up with it, because so many of these sort pervade our beautiful game today. After 52 years supporting the Albion , I find it harder and harder to feel any compassion for the players. The Chairman, sponsors and supporters , I applaud you for continually reaching deep into your pockets to support the desire for a solid football club that will be here long after the greedy ****ers have bled everyone dry.

Another reason why i will not be adding to the greed pot and now direct my money to NL where players play for nothing(or x's) and the dog gets to watch also:moo:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

It doesn't have to have been reported, you only had to look at the teamsheets.

You tell me why else CH dropped him while all this was going on. Ahh...unless you're buying this "working on his fitness" line.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The wisest words come from Sir Bob of Z

image.jpeg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It doesn't have to have been reported, you only had to look at the teamsheets.

You tell me why else CH dropped him while all this was going on. Ahh...unless you're buying this "working on his fitness" line.

He was distracted by a potential big money move. That's human nature. Same happened to LD this time last year. Same also happened to Duffy pre his move here. Football at this level requires 100 % focus. Blame the daft timing of deadline day not DS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here