Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] These next two Tuesdays. Alert! Alert!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Down with this kind of thing.

8AEF1821-AF2A-4E8D-8459-DA11DFD3B943.jpeg

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
When you get an emergency alert
Your phone or tablet may:

make a loud siren-like sound, even if it’s set on silent
vibrate
read out the alert
The sound and vibration will last for about 10 seconds.

...apparently. Blimey.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

vibrate
read out the alert

...apparently. Blimey.

I’ve survived this long without the government sending out alerts. I live in West Sussex, I doubt anything too life threatening is going to befall us.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I don't want to know about the nuke strike. I just want to look up, briefly wonder why the sky is white and then have my face melt off without knowing what hit me, thanks. Is there an app for that? QR code or something?

Couple of years back I visited one of the UK's regional underground command and control bunkers from the cold war [Hack Green] - now a museum.
One of the take away facts that has stuck with me is that after a nuclear strike it is expected that the vast majority of deaths occur several days/weeks later. Not from radiation burns / sickness but people trapped in tens of thousands of collapsed buildings and no/limited emergency services to rescue them, by dehydration and/or stavation.

The "lucky" ones are the ones that will die instantly in the immediate explosion.

Like you say "I don't want to know about the nuke strike" either.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I think it's the meltdown when when England play out another goalless draw. The following week is the customary exit to a team that's good.

coupled with the ritual smashing of cars made by the nation that beat us. Maybe the alert is for owners of French, German, Spanish or Swedish cars?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Couple of years back I visited one of the UK's regional underground command and control bunkers from the cold war [Hack Green] - now a museum.
One of the take away facts that has stuck with me is that after a nuclear strike it is expected that the vast majority of deaths occur several days/weeks later. Not from radiation burns / sickness but people trapped in tens of thousands of collapsed buildings and no/limited emergency services to rescue them, by dehydration and/or stavation.

The "lucky" ones are the ones that will die instantly in the immediate explosion.

Like you say "I don't want to know about the nuke strike" either.

This. I do not want to survive an apocalypse. I went to Bolton once, that was quite close enough for me.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004

vibrate
read out the alert

...apparently. Blimey.

I got two alerts last time I was in The States about possible flash-flooding. It certainly gets your attention when it goes off!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

vibrate
read out the alert

...apparently. Blimey.
So in the Amex, there will be 29,500 simultaneous siren sounds and automated voices shouting out the news at the same time? Sounds like fun.

Fortunately I sit in the Bob Lord Stand, Burnley, and only 3 of us have smartphones. :)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I would imagine this will go down well at 2 in the morning when everyone in a block of flats is woken by dozens of loud siren noises going off simultaneously

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This. I do not want to survive an apocalypse. I went to Bolton once, that was quite close enough for me.

Those half alive half dead wandering cobbled streets for ever more

Horrible

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So in the Amex, there will be 29,500 simultaneous siren sounds and automated voices shouting out the news at the same time? Sounds like fun.

Fortunately I sit in the Bob Lord Stand, Burnley, and only 3 of us have smartphones. :)

Smart like this?

a_flashback_retro_car_phones_150616.jpg

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Android 11 or later.

Therefore the Government do not see it as important in notifying me or saving my life.

Yet again the Government failing on technology.

Likewise the two Apple phones we have purchased last year don’t meet ISO 16.5 the only device we have is the IPad I am using to type this but unfortunately as it doesn’t have a SIM I am out of the loop, still I bet whoever designed this software is a mate of one the PMs innermost circle and is now in line for an honour

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Received these messages whilst in Houston - one was for a child abduction. I thought it was a great idea so I’m glad we’ve bought it in

We've had the same system here for a couple of years. It is a good idea.

Of course there's always a few people on social media who LOSE THEIR SH*T when they get an alert because it's disturbed their day.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This tech is very common all across Europe since many years...

Also in New Zealand. My phone is Android 8, and I got one of these alerts in my hotel room there last March. Scared the sh1t out of me. :eek:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Had two or three of these in Charlotte NC for tornadoes touching down, it's a great idea.

Although that mishap in Hawaii wasn't good lmao

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here