Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
BP at Pyecombe no real queues just waiting for the vehicle at the pumps to exit but unleaded £1.419 per litre.

Also Sainsburys at West Hove now 10pm to 6am. told that there are usually queues at 10pm as drivers wait for the forecourt to open, but basically just drive straight in from midnight.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In Hove this morning and low on fuel, tried Hove Station, closed, so went to BP bottom of Snakey Hill, queue of 1 car at each pump and got £35 worth (limited). It's definitely improving and any major disruption seems to be over :shrug:

*edit*

You mean an area that heavily voted remain, that has a stronger pro EU, anti Brexit stance, and had been hearing and (a lot) repeating the worst fears of the effect Brexit could have like the lack of everyday goods, because, apparently, globally traded goods could only be traded to the UK if we were part of the EU somehow !?!

It looks like we're a part of the country that seems more nervous than most as a result, (or is it just we are an area more likely to do this naturally due to our psyche) so more likely to stock up and so on, possibly for fear of the doom and gloom remain campaign prophecies becoming true and by their own reactions, helping create a self fulfilling prophecy of shortages, etc when there was absolutely no need to act any differently to normal (as seem by the trigger and subsequent actions to the issues affecting a few BP forecourts and the national shortages that followed)

It just comes across as a massive lack of trust and faith, fearing supply chains will crumble, that businesses in this country are inflexible and unable to react and adapt, more worried about how wage inflation in poorer paid areas of society, caused by a reduction in the potential labour resources (ie, free movement of labour) will force them to pay more for goods and services and that the price they pay is the only bit they are interested in and want to preserve their low prices, even if the poorer in our society are the ones who suffer to continue to provide that rather than thinking it could help lift more and more out of poverty, may reduce the need for some to turn to food banks and so on..... but they are only really interested in me, me me and how i will be affected by change with a fear the worst at every opportunity outlook on life

Yep It's definitely because Brighton and the South East voted Remain that they suffered more :facepalm:

*Awaits the Brexit obsessives to start thumbing your post* :lolol:

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
People are dozy part 14:

Came back from meeting in Horsham just after Lunchtime down the A29 between Billingshurst & Pulborough. There is a Petrol Station half way along that stretch and also a 300 metre queue, luckily there is a sort of lay-by area on the way in and it wasn't causing an issue.

About a mile and half away in Pulborough Elite Garage all pumps working and no queues. Popped in, topped up, Trip to Pompey next week sorted... :shrug:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Interesting explanation emerging now. So reserves at the petrol stations were already down due to tanks being emptied of E5 in preparation for the switch to E10. Then BP leaked their story of (small scale) shortages, then panic buying commenced which cleared the already reduced reserves. It does seem London / SE took to panic buying most keenly, I guess it make sense that panic buying could be regional as it is a self-feeding problem once it starts.

4e0bef98a980ca3222709d38d24b1df7.jpg

2411694025b904efb1775619f9407639.jpg

Was out driving late morning (for work purposes) up here in the Sussex heights and all four petrol stations in the area were open with no queues. Passed a couple of them just now and both were still open.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
In Hove this morning and low on fuel, tried Hove Station, closed, so went to BP bottom of Snakey Hill, queue of 1 car at each pump and got £35 worth (limited). It's definitely improving and any major disruption seems to be over :shrug:

*edit*

Yep It's definitely because Brighton and the South East voted Remain that they suffered more :facepalm:

*Awaits the Brexit obsessives to start thumbing your post* :lolol:

A good sign that things are calm is that BP at the bottom of Mill Road that you mention has been open all day with no off site queues, I drove past at 5:30pm this evening and it was still open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Seems to be all over in Eastbourne now. Old Town garage opposite The Lamb fully stocked and only a couple of customers during this morning's school run.

I noted my own half full tank and thought "Nah, I'll leave it for a bit"...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For reasons I don't understand I was able to drive straight into the Findon BP on 'No Fuel Saturday' and fill the empty 2/3rds of my tank.
I have now, 2 weeks later, just done the same at ASDA.

I know it's rather classless to gloat, but this fuel crisis has cost me zero minutes and zero change of routine.

Already I know I'm absolutely screwed by the next shortage.
It's gonna be pork scratchings and Tangtastics, isn't it?

This'll be me while everyone else is going about their day as normal:-

Belarus.jpg

:lolol:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
For reasons I don't understand I was able to drive straight into the Findon BP on 'No Fuel Saturday' and fill the empty 2/3rds of my tank.
I have now, 2 weeks later, just done the same at ASDA.

I know it's rather classless to gloat, but this fuel crisis has cost me zero minutes and zero change of routine.

Already I know I'm absolutely screwed by the next shortage.
It's gonna be pork scratchings and Tangtastics, isn't it?

This'll be me while everyone else is going about their day as normal:-

View attachment 141149

:lolol:

Obviously keeping off the cycle lane!

scooter1

How soon is now?
I have to go to Chichester in the morning and have enough to get there and back. Having spoken to work colleagues who drive in every day, its only Brighton and Hove that seem to still have a shortage as their journeys pass a number of garages in Sussex that are now operating normally. With this in mind i'm hoping to find somewhere tomorrow I can fill up. Sainsburys in West Hove is open nights, but i'm not filled with glee to head out at 10pm, or before 6am(when it closes) but apparently normal hours will be resumed from Sunday

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
I have to go to Chichester in the morning and have enough to get there and back. Having spoken to work colleagues who drive in every day, its only Brighton and Hove that seem to still have a shortage as their journeys pass a number of garages in Sussex that are now operating normally. With this in mind i'm hoping to find somewhere tomorrow I can fill up. Sainsburys in West Hove is open nights, but i'm not filled with glee to head out at 10pm, or before 6am(when it closes) but apparently normal hours will be resumed from Sunday

Sainsbury Worthing has been normal hours for a few days now, worth checking if passing that way?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
FWIW I haven't been able to get fuel since this began.

Heard yesterday that it was getting better, so decidedly planned to out this afternoon to get some.

Planned to go to Tesco Holmbush, but saw Texaco OSR had some, no queues.

Surely we're back to normal now?

Haywards Heath still struggling - garage near the station only had diesel this morning, no queues though.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Went past the Shell by Preston Park lunchtime and then less than an hour ago. No diesel either time but have/had unleaded and no real queuing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here