Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
None in Hove this morning but lots open on the way through Pyecombe, HH and Horsham. Hardly any queues either, it has certainly eased in some places.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Driving home Brighton to Uckfield on Tuesday 5th.
BP Lewes Rd Btn shut
A27 Lewes bypass Esso shut
Tesco Lewes shut
BP Lewes had unleaded only, no queue
Power on A26 Lewes to Uckfield shut
Applegreen Uckfield OPEN small queue. My first fill up since this all began. Limited to £30 the woman next to me filled up with £5

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Should [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] change the title of the thread now to 'There's no need to panic buy petrol after 6th October' ???

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Driving home Brighton to Uckfield on Tuesday 5th.
BP Lewes Rd Btn shut
A27 Lewes bypass Esso shut
Tesco Lewes shut
BP Lewes had unleaded only, no queue
Power on A26 Lewes to Uckfield shut
Applegreen Uckfield OPEN small queue. My first fill up since this all began. Limited to £30 the woman next to me filled up with £5

It's just bizarre :shrug:

I'm a similar distance from London as you, except I'm north of London rather than south and the fuel situation around here seemed to rectify Wednesday night > Thursday day. By Friday it was pretty much back to normal. On Sunday I drove to Cheltenham and back and apart from some services on the A40 near Oxford, every petrol station I passed was open with zero queues.

Unless there is some sort of fuel delivery conspiracy aimed at East Sussex, I can only conclude that many of the good folk of God's own county are doing this to themselves by continuing to drain stations the moment they are replenished by needlessly topping up and jerry-canning?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Kentish Trip concluded with a fuel tank tank fuller than when I left. NO queues at any of the Sittingbourne Petrol Stations so being a tightwad went for the cheapest (ASDA).

The Men of Kent clearly have more clout than us...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I can’t understand it either. Filled up both cars in the last 24 hours with no queuing (again). There must be some reason East Sussex keeps running out of fuel. How can it be supply when most of the rest of the country doesn’t seem to have a problem. Around here there were only issues for a couple of days max.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Every petrol station I've passed in Guildford in the last couple of days have been dry, but I chanced my arm and popped to Sainsbury's at lunch and was able to drive straight on to the forecourt and fill up with unleaded. They had a prominently placed sign saying they had no diesel.

Anyway, I'm good for a couple of weeks now. :thumbsup:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Changing the subject slightly, a certain chocolate manufacturer has anounced there may be a shortage of christmas tins (now plastic). Now I've been to the shops and seen pallet after pallet of these things stacked up and not selling. So is this a genuine 'shortage' or someone spreading rumours to encourage sales?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58822665
Meanwhile my wife insisted we bought a turkey last week. I said no.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Feels like it's easing a bit, at least in my little Findon bubble.

The BP/M&S had fuel yesterday with no queues and, having been by a couple of time, I stopped and filled up as I have a longer drive to do this weekend. I'd normally have filled up tonight at Tesco but I didn't want to look this particular gift horse in the mouth.

This morning both BP and Jet down the road have fuel and, again, no queues at all when I went by.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It's just bizarre :shrug:

I'm a similar distance from London as you, except I'm north of London rather than south and the fuel situation around here seemed to rectify Wednesday night > Thursday day. By Friday it was pretty much back to normal. On Sunday I drove to Cheltenham and back and apart from some services on the A40 near Oxford, every petrol station I passed was open with zero queues.

Unless there is some sort of fuel delivery conspiracy aimed at East Sussex, I can only conclude that many of the good folk of God's own county are doing this to themselves by continuing to drain stations the moment they are replenished by needlessly topping up and jerry-canning?

You mean an area that heavily voted remain, that has a stronger pro EU, anti Brexit stance, and had been hearing and (a lot) repeating the worst fears of the effect Brexit could have like the lack of everyday goods, because, apparently, globally traded goods could only be traded to the UK if we were part of the EU somehow !?!

It looks like we're a part of the country that seems more nervous than most as a result, (or is it just we are an area more likely to do this naturally due to our psyche) so more likely to stock up and so on, possibly for fear of the doom and gloom remain campaign prophecies becoming true and by their own reactions, helping create a self fulfilling prophecy of shortages, etc when there was absolutely no need to act any differently to normal (as seem by the trigger and subsequent actions to the issues affecting a few BP forecourts and the national shortages that followed)

It just comes across as a massive lack of trust and faith, fearing supply chains will crumble, that businesses in this country are inflexible and unable to react and adapt, more worried about how wage inflation in poorer paid areas of society, caused by a reduction in the potential labour resources (ie, free movement of labour) will force them to pay more for goods and services and that the price they pay is the only bit they are interested in and want to preserve their low prices, even if the poorer in our society are the ones who suffer to continue to provide that rather than thinking it could help lift more and more out of poverty, may reduce the need for some to turn to food banks and so on..... but they are only really interested in me, me me and how i will be affected by change with a fear the worst at every opportunity outlook on life

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

The BP/M&S had fuel yesterday with no queues and, having been by a couple of time, I stopped and filled up as I have a longer drive to do this weekend. I'd normally have filled up tonight at Tesco but I didn't want to look this particular gift horse in the mouth.

This morning both BP and Jet down the road have fuel and, again, no queues at all when I went by.

Went past a petrol station in Storrington yesterday and had to do a double take …fuel and no queue…not something you’d have put together recently

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

Came past the Esso/Tesco Express on Littlehampton Road (Worthing) last night and that had fuel and nobody queuing into the road whereas a few days ago it was queueing right back to the roundabout.

Hopefully some sense of normality has returned rather than it just being the top up tw@ts have not done their 10 miles this week to necessitate a return visit.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I passed the two near the Princess Royal hospital in HH yesterday evening:

* Shell garage had all types and 2/3 car queues at each pump (I stopped and filled up)

* Texaco garage no fuel at all.

It's still not quite right...

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

I went past the BP and the Jet at around 9:30 and both were in use and not overly busy. Then I went to Asda Ferring about 3:30 and again it was in operation but not that busy. All the panic buyers got filled up and now it's back to normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here