Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Reading the last few pages of this thread worries me more than the fuel crisis. Boris is reacting to and feeding the uneducated Brexiteers (not that many were educated).

£1.27 a litre I paid in Belfast this morning. £1.45 on offer now at Birkenhead.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well I’m delighted you’ve found a reason to shoot the messenger.

O’Farrell, Lee Hurst, Charlotte Church, Steve Coogan, Hugh Grant …. I consistently dismiss their twattings on anything remotely party political. Totally biased, not an ounce of objectivity.

Who gives a f@ck what pro or anti government celebs twattings online? There was a dull nsc habit in the build up to the 2019 GE of posting celeb views. Why?

I’d rather listen to normal folk posting their views or the objective analysis from real experts on a subject.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
O’Farrell, Lee Hurst, Charlotte Church, Steve Coogan, Hugh Grant …. I consistently dismiss their twattings on anything remotely party political. Totally biased, not an ounce of objectivity.

Who gives a f@ck what pro or anti government celebs twattings online? There was a dull nsc habit in the build up to the 2019 GE of posting celeb views. Why?

I’d rather listen to normal folk posting their views or the objective analysis from real experts on a subject.

A dog did win Britain's Got Talent though....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The lack of drivers is partly due to Brexit, 20% in fact, Brexit and the lack of fuel deliveries is nothing to do with Brexit, Bojo is using Brexit for as an excuse.

Not gonna get involved in the fuel deliveries discussion, but I'm pretty sure Brexit is actually related to Brexit.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not gonna get involved in the fuel deliveries discussion, but I'm pretty sure Brexit is actually related to Brexit.

Sorry should checked post first. This fuel crisis is not directly to do with Brexit, its 1 company Hooyer not having enough ADR licenced drivers because they have left them due to lack of pay. I doubt any of the European drivers that have left had an ADR licence

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Some are trying to blame Brexit for the whole shortfall of lorry drivers, yes 100,000 have left and that is the total, but out of that 100,000 only 20,000 were Europeans. If we had remained in the EU and those drivers had stayed here the total would a shortage of 80,000 drivers.

I hope the Government listen to the drivers, many want more money,but that is not the be all and end all, they know profit margins are small when running a fleet of lorries, yes companies are upping the pay but that has a knock on with prices at the till. 99% of drivers will say a scrap the DCPC, not fit for purpose, lose the WTD, talk and look at possible ways about getting better facilities to park up at night, this will take years I know but it's a start. Replace some of the legislation. Extend safety inspection to 12 to 14 weekly inspections for vehicles.

Ok - thanks understand what you meant now....

A problem that was always going to happen though COVID & BREXIT have probably been the straw to break the camels back.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Nope, but there are shortages of drivers across the EU and U.K. so the dynamics are evidently less Brexit and more structural. Petrol/Diesel situation is a prime example, evidently the supply chain has had to readjust to the lower demand for fuel post pandemic, (which is much lower than pre pandemic for multiple reasons).

There is no shortage of petrol/diesel itself and the refineries are still functioning (maybe no EU workers in that industry), so it’s just about the supply chain which has contracted, so there is less need for tanker drivers than in 2019. The specific dynamics of staff turnover in that industry, recruitment, the effects of the pandemic and undoubtedly some EU citizens drivers returning home are issues that the petrol hauliers need to address, i.e. pay and conditions.

However, the effect of wet mattress brigade in the media stoking panic buying has caused a short term bubble which the post pandemic supply chain cannot cope with. It will be sorted in due course and no one will have died. QED.

Not sure I totally follow the logic here, you say there are shortages of drivers (i agree) you say there is lower demand so surely we short not be seeing shortages.

The issue is more than BREXIT or COVID as the problem has been brewing for 10 years and not dealt with , i guess if you are happy for the free market to determine what happens then OK , I am not happy I feel government has a responsibility to ensure that infrastructure is in place and that includes people to deliver goods.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...i guess if you are happy for the free market to determine what happens then OK , I am not happy I feel government has a responsibility to ensure that infrastructure is in place and that includes people to deliver goods.

thats a very statist view, that is not what our government is for. responsible for legislation, regulation and governance. there is no western democracy i can think of has state owned and run fuel network or distribution of goods, varying degrees of contingency and emergency powers. the infrastructure, refineries, roads, fuel stations, are in place. what you're asking is government to force more qualified drivers to do fuel runs to keep up with the excessive demand. government doesnt have that sort of power though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don't know if any help, Sainsbury's Hangleton forecourt open starting tomorrow is open 10 pm until 7am or unless they have sold out.

Are you sure about those times ? So only open during the night ?

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North

Dont know who he is and Im not political at all, but couldnt agree with him more. Buy your food locally. Eat whats in season. The money stays in the community. Farmers get a decent price for their produce. Reduces air miles. You end up only buying what you actually need and not all the other crap as well. Get to know your local shop keepers and it becomes an enjoyable experience rather than just a neccesity. Slow your life down a bit. Dont be a sheep.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dont know who he is and Im not political at all, but couldnt agree with him more. Buy your food locally. Eat whats in season. The money stays in the community. Farmers get a decent price for their produce. Reduces air miles. You end up only buying what you actually need and not all the other crap as well. Get to know your local shop keepers and it becomes an enjoyable experience rather than just a neccesity. Slow your life down a bit. Dont be a sheep.

During the first lockdown when the drongos had stripped the supermarkets of pasta and bog rolls, both were readily available at all the small local shops round this way. Shop local :thumbsup:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes, my local Sainsburys is doing the same thing. It stops petrol queues getting in the way of people just wanting to shop.
Not all Sainsburys, though.

It must depend on the store. Some set up queues for petrol during the day. My eyes saw it yesterday.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not all Sainsburys, though.

It must depend on the store. Some set up queues for petrol during the day. My eyes saw it yesterday.

At West Hove ? I'm running on fumes and we're going away this weekend so desperately need fuel but without the search as I don't have enough fuel to actually do the search !

Yoda

English & European
Going to and back home from my mothers last night, noticed that the BP garage in Worthing by Brooklands last night had hardly anyone queuing on the forecourt and petrol.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We used to have a fantastic farm shop as soon as it got popular and the turnover increased the owners sold out to Sainsbury’s. You can’t stop capitalism. The man has a dreamy image of village life nothing more.

High rents, rates and lack of customers because you can’t park make it impossible for these small shops to survive over the long term. Selling more on a Saturday isn’t going to pay the bills.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No queues at Hollingbury Asda when I went for petrol earlier. Probably aided by the fact that it was 5 in the morning, and pouring it down.
The increased price being charged will feed through into inflation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here