Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No reverse gear. I never thought it was a media conspiracy. Just irresponsible scare mongering from a story reported without facts and in the context of an ongoing story. They simply over reached on fuel as probably didn’t realize the full consequences.
As to your other point, I haven’t seen the Boris interview so I’ve no idea. My view is that when you make a constitutional change things will be different. That’s rather the point. One of the things I voted for was removal of unlimited cheap foreign labour. You didn’t. That’s it really.

They gave too much prominence to a non story to feed the ongoing story about a lack of lorry drivers. They did not give enough emphasis to the very small number of pumps that were inactive. When you do that it doesn’t matter if you add that people shouldn’t panic buy.It’s too late. They did not think through the consequences. People can’t constantly go on about media agendas only when they have the opposite politics. It works both ways.

To be fair, you never said 'conspiracy'. 'Agenda' was the word you used.

If you want to open up the discussion beyond the current supply chain issues and into the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol, our lack of Import controls, the business hemorrhaging out of Britain's service industry your 'removal of unlimited cheap labour' etc then surely the Brexit thread would be the place to do it. The invitation is open as always, because as you well know, my only interest is in finding solutions to these issues and moving Britain forward :thumbsup:

However, to bring this thread back on topic, what Johnson said this morning about this current supply chain crisis, was that he'd known about the supply chain issue for months and that people who didn't understand that they were voting for supply chain issues didn't understand what they were voting for back in 2016. His words. not mine :shrug:

Afraid I'm off but happy to pick up on the Brexit thread tomorrow :wave:

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Basially, Johnson probably figured that anyone who is still stupid enough to think Brexit is good thing won't listen or be put off him if he says it's down to Brexit. It's not all down to Brexit, only about 20% of driver shortages are down to that. However, Brexit has played a huge part in us not being able to solve the issue. But apparently it's the fault of the BBC and the public who are scared they won't be able to get where they need to go. Nice deflection, Johnson. It's your fault for not listening to the haulage industry for years.

It has come to all an all time low when our PM is picking and choosing which of his monumental foul-up's to blame for whatever current disaster he's overseeing.

And to say this is a difficult but necessary transition period if we are to avoid building an economy based on cheaper foreign labor. The Western world was built on cheap foreign labor.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If you want to open up the discussion beyond the current supply chain issues and into the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol, our lack of Import controls, the business hemorrhaging out of Britain's service industry your 'removal of unlimited cheap labour' etc then surely the Brexit thread would be the place to do it. The invitation is open as always, because as you well know, my only interest is in finding solutions to these issues and moving Britain forward :thumbsup:

However, to bring this thread back on topic, what Johnson said this morning about this current supply chain crisis, was that he'd known about the supply chain issue for months and that people who didn't understand that they were voting for supply chain issues didn't understand what they were voting for back in 2016. His words. not mine :shrug:

My main point was about people ignoring the only expert on this thread (Jesse James) but hey ho, back to your crusade…

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
So the shortfall of drivers is Approximately 100,000 minus the 20,000 European drivers that have left, the shortfall is still 80,000. It was estimated that 49,000 have left the industry since 2009, the introduction of the CPC. Most of them left because of this and low pay and poor working conditions. The rest have taken jobs with more pay and less responsibility. The government at the time were warned about this, but not addressed the issues. HGV Drivers were advised that although the WTD and DCPC were EU directives, this rules will still stay in place if we left.

Back to the issue with the fuel driver shortage many of the European drivers that left did not have ADR Licence. Houyer are the problem, drivers left them due to them paying less than other fuel delivery drivers. Take that into consideration plus people topping up we still have the shortage on the forecourt

not sure about the maths here , maybe I am misreading it. Surely if there is a shortfall of 100k then its 100k the fact that 20k are ex EU does not reduce it....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1444658507987492867[/tweet]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[tweet]1444658507987492867[/tweet]

It’s definitely one of several key factors. More cerebral analysts have also mentioned the decline in driver numbers across Europe in 20 years, IR35, incompetence at DVLA and DSA, ageing driver workforce. A road hauliers survey yesterday mentioned the lot. I’d add a complete lack of contingency planning.

An anti-Tory twatting an anecdote on what the average American Joe or hack simplistically thinks is just party politicised bias.

A4341825-EB26-421E-A9DF-1A3DD30C71E9.png

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Another outbreak of Brexit Tourettes from the usual suspects I see. Meanwhile the 'crisis' is all but over in most parts of the country which must mean the government secretly rejoined the EU and reinstated free movement ...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Another outbreak of Brexit Tourettes from the usual suspects I see. Meanwhile the 'crisis' is all but over in most parts of the country which must mean the government secretly rejoined the EU and reinstated free movement ...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Boris Johnson has stated that it is due to Brexit. Which weirdly is a half truth to cover his failure to act on warnings from the haulage and logistics Industry.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The fuel/transport crisis was the first to hit because the industry was teetering on crisis before Brexit. Our leaving the EU pushed it over the cliff.
However, it's not the end of shortages we can expect due to Brexit. Some notable upcoming shortages include;

Meat - shortage of abattoir staff
Busses - Shortage of drivers
Rubbish collections - shortage of operatives and drivers

Plus the expected food shortages that will be with us for years.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
As I said in my comment it doesn't need a mass exodus it just needs an reduction in the areas more dependent on EU workers than others and that's why some crop famers have had issues and taking circa 14k drivers out the loop when we were already short has precipitated the inevitable.

Are you saying there is no shortage of drivers?

Nope, but there are shortages of drivers across the EU and U.K. so the dynamics are evidently less Brexit and more structural. Petrol/Diesel situation is a prime example, evidently the supply chain has had to readjust to the lower demand for fuel post pandemic, (which is much lower than pre pandemic for multiple reasons).

There is no shortage of petrol/diesel itself and the refineries are still functioning (maybe no EU workers in that industry), so it’s just about the supply chain which has contracted, so there is less need for tanker drivers than in 2019. The specific dynamics of staff turnover in that industry, recruitment, the effects of the pandemic and undoubtedly some EU citizens drivers returning home are issues that the petrol hauliers need to address, i.e. pay and conditions.

However, the effect of wet mattress brigade in the media stoking panic buying has caused a short term bubble which the post pandemic supply chain cannot cope with. It will be sorted in due course and no one will have died. QED.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Basially, Johnson probably figured that anyone who is still stupid enough to think Brexit is good thing won't listen or be put off him if he says it's down to Brexit. It's not all down to Brexit, only about 20% of driver shortages are down to that. However, Brexit has played a huge part in us not being able to solve the issue. But apparently it's the fault of the BBC and the public who are scared they won't be able to get where they need to go. Nice deflection, Johnson. It's your fault for not listening to the haulage industry for years.

It has come to all an all time low when our PM is picking and choosing which of his monumental foul-up's to blame for whatever current disaster he's overseeing.

And to say this is a difficult but necessary transition period if we are to avoid building an economy based on cheaper foreign labor. The Western world was built on cheap foreign labor.

He has been PM for 2 years one and a half of that during Covid so how is it his fault? Past PM's yes.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He has been PM for 2 years one and a half of that during Covid so how is it his fault? Past PM's yes.

Good point. The conservative party as a whole then, shall we say? I’m sure he would have been aware of the upcoming crisis before he was PM but yes, point taken.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It’s definitely one of several key factors. More cerebral analysts have also mentioned the decline in driver numbers across Europe in 20 years, IR35, incompetence at DVLA and DSA, ageing driver workforce. A road hauliers survey yesterday mentioned the lot. I’d add a complete lack of contingency planning.

An anti-Tory twatting an anecdote on what the average American Joe or hack simplistically thinks is just party politicised bias.

View attachment 141024

Well I’m delighted you’ve found a reason to shoot the messenger.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I have a horrible site day coming up on Wednesday on the Isle of Grain (NE Kent) so would be happy if I couldn't fuel up for next couple of days...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Yes let's turn the clock back to the 1960s, when for your weekly shop you had to go to the High Street and visit a lot of shops to get items, so rather than going once a week you went daily (obviously not Sunday as not open). No doubt higher prices for consumers and less choice.

Same problem with Johnson's high wage society, higher wages means higher prices for consumers, and doesn't achieve anything unless the money left over from wages after paying all bills and putting food on the table is more than it currently is.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
not sure about the maths here , maybe I am misreading it. Surely if there is a shortfall of 100k then its 100k the fact that 20k are ex EU does not reduce it....

Some are trying to blame Brexit for the whole shortfall of lorry drivers, yes 100,000 have left and that is the total, but out of that 100,000 only 20,000 were Europeans. If we had remained in the EU and those drivers had stayed here the total would a shortage of 80,000 drivers.

I hope the Government listen to the drivers, many want more money,but that is not the be all and end all, they know profit margins are small when running a fleet of lorries, yes companies are upping the pay but that has a knock on with prices at the till. 99% of drivers will say a scrap the DCPC, not fit for purpose, lose the WTD, talk and look at possible ways about getting better facilities to park up at night, this will take years I know but it's a start. Replace some of the legislation. Extend safety inspection to 12 to 14 weekly inspections for vehicles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here