Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Maybe (like others) you are so desperate to hitch problems to Brexit you lose track of reality. There has not been a mass exodus of workers.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/covid19/202...left-britain-in-2020-doesnt-hold-up/#comments

Have some EU citizens returned since Brexit, yes but statistically the numbers returning since Brexit are less than what left post 2008 when we had the economic shock of Northern Rock and HBOS failing etc. Of those that left how many decided to be with family during the pandemic?

Even on the most aggressive analysis of EU citizens leaving that fact that c6.5m EU citizens (not including the c400k Irish here) applied for residency suggests there is no significant labour shortage……..as always its pay and conditions.

The acrobatics being performed on this thread trying to claim that Brexit isn't a contributing factor. It's the exact same people who were so insistent that the deal was going to be great on 'the thread that shall be nameless' until the actual facts of the deal were agreed and documented, where they haven't been seen since.

Even though the Government, the Industry and just about every news and media outlet accept completely that it is one of the three significant factors behind this issue :facepalm:

You can stand down now, it looks like this particular episode is nearly over for the minute :thumbsup:

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The acrobatics being performed on this thread trying to claim that Brexit isn't a contributing factor, by the exact same people who were so insistent that the deal was going to be great on 'the thread that shall be nameless' until the actual facts of the deal were agreed and documented, and they haven't been seen there since.

Even though the Government, the Industry and just about every news and media outlet accept completely that it is one of the three significant factors behind this issue :facepalm:

You can stand down now, it looks like this particular episode is nearly over for the minute [emoji106]
We'll see, I guess.

If the crisis goes on much longer it would seem all the finger wagging at the peasants might merely have been to cover up a deeper problem ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
ASDA Hollingbury are only opening at night (from 8pm), so as to avoid gridlocking the whole area. Mr Nickbrighton filled up last night and even got a jerry can for the lodgers fueless works van. My sister (who lives nearby) also went at 1.00am and waited 10 mins and filled up. Husband said after him there were only a few cars (1.30am)

Are other stations doing the same to avoid the massive ballache of blocked roads? that would account for the discrepancy that appears with more rural sites being open, and town sites open at night

If I knew for a fact that was the case tonight or tomorrow night at ASDA Hollingbury, I’d gladly visit.

But it’s a risk. I’m taking my Dad home from hospital just now, after which I’ll have a range of 5 miles left.

I’ve tried to be responsible and have sat out this crisis, but eventually needs must.

10 days in, this is a joke from the powers that be. With an endemic shortage of drivers (I fully accept this has building over governments of several colours and they’re 40k short in France, 60k short in Germany), this administration should’ve had emergency contingency planning. Firstly get sloth like DVLA to get their lazy WFH arse out of gear on the huge backlog. Secondly, army fuel drivers should've been 100% pre trained on civilian fuel delivery. These fuel crisis occur from time to time, so plan.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We'll see, I guess.

If the crisis goes on much longer it would seem all the finger wagging at the peasants might merely have been to cover up a deeper problem ?

Most of the finger wagging at the peasants I have seen has been on this very thread. Loads of posts on here about stupid Daily Mail readers. What are you implying is being covered up by the NSC elite ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Most of the finger wagging at the peasants I have seen has been on this very thread. Loads of posts on here about stupid Daily Mail readers. What are you implying is being covered up by the NSC elite ?

No idea about NSC "Elite".

No implications beyond the stirred up national finger wagging may be to cover a deeper issue.

Time will tell.

:shrug:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Maybe (like others) you are so desperate to hitch problems to Brexit you lose track of reality. There has not been a mass exodus of workers.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/covid19/202...left-britain-in-2020-doesnt-hold-up/#comments

Have some EU citizens returned since Brexit, yes but statistically the numbers returning since Brexit are less than what left post 2008 when we had the economic shock of Northern Rock and HBOS failing etc. Of those that left how many decided to be with family during the pandemic?

Even on the most aggressive analysis of EU citizens leaving that fact that c6.5m EU citizens (not including the c400k Irish here) applied for residency suggests there is no significant labour shortage……..as always its pay and conditions.

As I said in my comment it doesn't need a mass exodus it just needs an reduction in the areas more dependent on EU workers than others and that's why some crop famers have had issues and taking circa 14k drivers out the loop when we were already short has precipitated the inevitable.

Are you saying there is no shortage of drivers?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Boris Johnson on the Andrew Marr show admitting that the fuel shortages are due to post-Brexit transition.... couldn't be clearer then, the shortages ARE due to Brexit.
Johnson goes out in silly running gear so that people talk about that instead?

Same playbook as always.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Johnson goes out in silly running gear so that people talk about that instead?

Same playbook as always.

It does appear that Johnson has gone from from 'supply chain problems, it's all Project Fear' to 'Of course people knew they were voting for supply chain problems' this morning. You would have thought he would have planned a better distraction before opening his mouth :facepalm: or maybe not :lolol:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
So the shortfall of drivers is Approximately 100,000 minus the 20,000 European drivers that have left, the shortfall is still 80,000. It was estimated that 49,000 have left the industry since 2009, the introduction of the CPC. Most of them left because of this and low pay and poor working conditions. The rest have taken jobs with more pay and less responsibility. The government at the time were warned about this, but not addressed the issues. HGV Drivers were advised that although the WTD and DCPC were EU directives, this rules will still stay in place if we left.

Back to the issue with the fuel driver shortage many of the European drivers that left did not have ADR Licence. Houyer are the problem, drivers left them due to them paying less than other fuel delivery drivers. Take that into consideration plus people topping up we still have the shortage on the forecourt

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just caught up on that interview. So Boris admits the problems are very much Brexit related. I’m shocked. I had no idea :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So the shortfall of drivers is Approximately 100,000 minus the 20,000 European drivers that have left, the shortfall is still 80,000. It was estimated that 49,000 have left the industry since 2009, the introduction of the CPC. Most of them left because of this and low pay and poor working conditions. The rest have taken jobs with more pay and less responsibility. The government at the time were warned about this, but not addressed the issues. HGV Drivers were advised that although the WTD and DCPC were EU directives, this rules will still stay in place if we left.

Back to the issue with the fuel driver shortage many of the European drivers that left did not have ADR Licence. Houyer are the problem, drivers left them due to them paying less than other fuel delivery drivers. Take that into consideration plus people topping up we still have the shortage on the forecourt

I would have thought that the huge boost in turnover that the supermarkets got from lockdown with small retailers and restaurants/pubs etc closed down, would have meant them needing extra HGV drivers from anywhere they could get them. Is it possible ADR qualified drivers went across ? I also have concerns what this is going to do to council collections with them trying to retain their drivers.

The knock on effects across all the various supply chains are worrying, as everyone is competing for an ever decreasing resource.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Imagine how different it could have been, if only they'd had five years to plan to mitigate the shortages......oh:facepalm:

Typical Boris, too difficult to fix and so ignore it until it’s disaster and then try and fix it. He brings a whole new meaning to the word ‘incompetent’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

You are very patient :smile:
So some of the European lorry drivers left because they were paid less and there are actually people on this thread arguing that we should return to this exploitative situation.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You are very patient :smile:
So some of the European lorry drivers left because they were paid less and there are actually people on this thread arguing that we should return to this exploitative situation.

And you are so very persistent :smile:

I assume you heard Johnson this morning admit that Brexit was a factor and that you knew you were voting for supply chain issues ? (Although I believe you found reverse gear from 'it's all a media conspiracy' on this particular thread some pages back :wink:)

Last edited:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would have thought that the huge boost in turnover that the supermarkets got from lockdown with small retailers and restaurants/pubs etc closed down, would have meant them needing extra HGV drivers from anywhere they could get them. Is it possible ADR qualified drivers went across ? I also have concerns what this is going to do to council collections with them trying to retain their drivers.

The knock on effects across all the various supply chains are worrying, as everyone is competing for an ever decreasing resource.

I know alot of HGV drivers who have left the industry completely or gone on to drive vans delivering shopping to people's houses, because there is not a lot of difference in pay, but the hours are set, shorter and they are guarantee to be home at night.
Supermarket drivers don't seem to be in short supply, they are just delivering from the hub to the stores the main problem is the general haulage.
Getting from RDC to the hub and from producers to RDC'S.

I
ADR drivers generally stick with the job, it's alot harder than a normal HGV job, I don't think many drivers have left because they are European its just one company having problems supplying certain forecourt

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
And you are so very persistent :smile:

I assume you heard Johnson this morning admit that Brexit was a factor and that you knew you were voting for supply chain issues ? (Although I believe you found reverse gear from 'it's all a media conspiracy' on this particular thread some pages back :wink:)

No reverse gear. I never thought it was a media conspiracy. Just irresponsible scare mongering from a story reported without facts and in the context of an ongoing story. They simply over reached on fuel as probably didn’t realize the full consequences.
As to your other point, I haven’t seen the Boris interview so I’ve no idea. My view is that when you make a constitutional change things will be different. That’s rather the point. I’m not ‘persistent’, that’s just my view. One of the things I voted for was removal of unlimited supplies of cheap foreign labour. You didn’t. That’s it really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here