Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
There are many things the supposed leaders of the country could of done to prevent the past week of petrol station chaos. I’ve witnessed some crazy dangerous traffic situations caused by aggressive queuing, morons blocking roundabouts, queue jumpers causing absolute carnage blocking the traffic in two directions. Add to the mix the anger and punch ups one thing has been noticeable a distinct lack of police presence.

Before someone says they are understaffed they seem to have no problem finding the numbers when they carry out road blocks trying their hardest to make a few quid in fines and get the crime numbers up at the end of the month. One or two coppers directing traffic at the busier filling stations would of stopped much of madness witnessed over the last week.

How many forecourts do you think there are in the country? and how many of those have actually needed policing due to punch ups or whatever?

How many coppers would it take away from other, far higher priority area policing to accomplish this plan of yours?

And if they did and public safety was compromised, crime detection and solving levels dropped, etc... don't you think the very same people who would have ask for policing at forecourts would be the first to complain about their failing to provide their usual effectiveness in policing the country?

That argument is a bit like calling for police to be present at every pub up and down the country in case there is a punch up there, which is simply impractical

Surely better to respond to an incident if one arises as they would do with a pub, besides forecourts have very good cctv and will have evidence for a prosecution that the police could collect and use to prosecute without having to be there for the initial incident

Besides, forecourts are private businesses, shouldn't they manage themselves rather than need the Government or the police to jump in to manage them if they get busy?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
How many forecourts do you think there are in the country? and how many of those have actually needed policing due to punch ups or whatever?

How many coppers would it take away from other, far higher priority area policing to accomplish this plan of yours?

And if they did and public safety was compromised, crime detection and solving levels dropped, etc... don't you think the very same people who would have ask for policing at forecourts would be the first to complain about their failing to provide their usual effectiveness in policing the country?

That argument is a bit like calling for police to be present at every pub up and down the country in case there is a punch up there, which is simply impractical

Surely better to respond to an incident if one arises as they would do with a pub, besides forecourts have very good cctv and will have evidence for a prosecution that the police could collect and use to prosecute without having to be there for the initial incident

Besides, forecourts are private businesses, shouldn't they manage themselves rather than need the Government or the police to jump in to manage them if they get busy?

I wanted to reply to the post you replied to, but couldn't be bothered, as clearly the poster has very little understanding of policing, the actual number of police available at any one time and from their comments has a bit of a chip on their shoulder regards the police.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
They trust CCF cadets with SA80’s :)

Now now Clamp, I know it’s difficult for you but try and resist the urge to derail the thread , I appreciate you have probably just come off a 72 hour shift and probably need some shut eye but this is an important thread and therefore shouldn’t be a platform for you to start your petty squabbles [emoji106]

UTA

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

As ever it comes down to having a lack of police on the beat, there is often no visible police presence on the street for many millions of people. Combine this with a lack of respect in society generally and we have the situation we have now where antisocial behaviour and petty crime and often burglary goes investigated and unpunished.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Set up as planned to distract from Starmer's speech last week and have Johnson appear the conquering hero at this week's Tory Conference ? ???

I fail to see how the debacle of the past week could make Boris seems an 'all conquering hero'. If anything, it makes him and his government seem incompetent.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I had a tough time yesterday.

I was doing a lot of driving around for work and my fuel was getting low. It was just the Brighton area but I was going out of my way to drive past petrol stations and finding them all closed (with the exception of the Shell just past Preston Park which seemed to have a waiting time of 1hr+ with a queue extending back, almost to the one way at Preston circus). By time I had to collect my son in Hove, my range was down to 10miles. This meant that when I got home, my car was done unless I was going straight to a petrol station I knew was open.

Anyway, as I drove up Dyke road, I noticed a newly formed queue and luckily, after only 15mins or so, I had a full tank after pulling into the Esso there. I was really close to going into next week/the weekend with no car, not ideal for work or dropping kids off at nursery etc. Stressful.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
As ever it comes down to having a lack of police on the beat, there is often no visible police presence on the street for many millions of people. Combine this with a lack of respect in society generally and we have the situation we have now where antisocial behaviour and petty crime and often burglary goes investigated and unpunished.

isn't walking a beat just an outdated notion of how policing should be carried out?

We are in a far more modern age, where tools and technology are now used to better serve the community

Police are now far more mobile than ever before, thanks to a large fleet of police vehicles being available to them, it makes it far easier for them to travel to any event or incident that may need someone to attend rather than the old fashioned approach of walking down a street and hoping you were in the right area at the right time should something happen

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
“Ministers say it takes time to train up servicemen and women to drive large tankers carrying highly flammable substances into built-up areas.”

Anyone else feel rather concerned reading this?

Id be more concerned if they just let some spotty oik who just passed their driving test loose with a tanker containing approximately 40 000 litres of highly flammable, explosive liquid . My husband managed petrol stations, and when tankers arrive they were prohibited from wearing certain types of clothing material when deliveries were made due to the risk of explosion.
You cant just take hgv drivers and say heres a mobile 10 000lb bomb, go play!!!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Brenda rr.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I fail to see how the debacle of the past week could make Boris seems an 'all conquering hero'. If anything, it makes him and his government seem even more incompetent.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And if BP had said nothing, you would of carried on as normal, arrived at a BP station that was out of fuel, and happily gone to the next nearest station to fill up.
By putting it in the press, BP and the media misreporting has caused the panic buying which has put every other fuel retailer in the same situation as BP.
A f up by someone at BP, if they kept quiet this thread would not exist.

There is no doubt that it was triggered by this original report on the BBC, and probably made worse by the fact that BP and Esso refused to release the actual facts and insisted on sticking to 'a handful' and a 'small number'.

BP has warned it has had to "temporarily" close some of its petrol stations due to a shortage of lorry drivers. The oil firm said only "a handful" of sites were affected by the fuel supply issues, which have led to a lack of unleaded and diesel fuel.There are around 1,200 BP branded petrol stations around the UK, of which 300 are operated by BP themselves. The company said it was working hard to address the issues.

Esso said that a "small number" of its 200 Tesco Alliance retail sites have been affected. "We are working closely with all parties in our distribution network to optimise supplies and minimise any inconvenience to customers. We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience," a spokesperson from Esso added.

However, supermarket Morrisons, which operates 338 petrol stations across the UK, said it was not seeing any similar issues at the moment.

Co-op runs 130 petrol stations in the country, and said it has a "full complement" of fuel delivery drivers.

Tesco also said that they have a "good availability of fuel" and both Sainsbury's and Asda said there are no current issues in their fuel supplies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58645712

However, 9 days later, with the issue still there, the Government having bought in their back up tankers and now the army, don't you get the impression that we have been 'sailing close to the wind' for a long time and this was always going to happen, it was just a matter of when ?
And, given that it is now widely accepted that this has been building over the last 10 years and then accelerated by Covid and Brexit, do you not think the Government should have maybe pre-empted the problem, rather than added to it :shootself

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The North/South divide that has been referred to on here was very apparent when we drove down last night. Plenty of petrol and no queues as far and including the M6 toll. Thereafter on the M40 just closed petrol stations or signs saying ‘diesel only.’ M25 and M3 the same. We have three quarters of a tank to get to Brighton and then as far north as we can get tomorrow morning.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I had a tough time yesterday.

I was doing a lot of driving around for work and my fuel was getting low. It was just the Brighton area but I was going out of my way to drive past petrol stations and finding them all closed (with the exception of the Shell just past Preston Park which seemed to have a waiting time of 1hr+ with a queue extending back, almost to the one way at Preston circus). By time I had to collect my son in Hove, my range was down to 10miles. This meant that when I got home, my car was done unless I was going straight to a petrol station I knew was open.

Anyway, as I drove up Dyke road, I noticed a newly formed queue and luckily, after only 15mins or so, I had a full tank after pulling into the Esso there. I was really close to going into next week/the weekend with no car, not ideal for work or dropping kids off at nursery etc. Stressful.

I walked past that one about 7am today and the queue was no more than half a dozen vehicles incl a taxi. I'm guessing 7am tomorrow might be even quieter

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Sussex has 2500 police officers, allowing for a percentage being off sick or on holiday that number will reduce.

Further take in rest days, shifts and the fact that of that original 2500 some will be detectives and non active officers and you will find those numbers have dwindled even further.

At any one time on a shift there will be no more than a handful of "spare" deployable officers.

Simple fact is people need to stop acting like selfish, ignorant *****, end of problem! (in terms of policing)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There is no doubt that it was triggered by this original report on the BBC, and probably made worse by the fact that BP and Esso refused to release the actual facts and insisted on sticking to 'a handful' and a 'small number'.

BP has warned it has had to "temporarily" close some of its petrol stations due to a shortage of lorry drivers. The oil firm said only "a handful" of sites were affected by the fuel supply issues, which have led to a lack of unleaded and diesel fuel.There are around 1,200 BP branded petrol stations around the UK, of which 300 are operated by BP themselves. The company said it was working hard to address the issues.

Esso said that a "small number" of its 200 Tesco Alliance retail sites have been affected. "We are working closely with all parties in our distribution network to optimise supplies and minimise any inconvenience to customers. We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience," a spokesperson from Esso added.

However, supermarket Morrisons, which operates 338 petrol stations across the UK, said it was not seeing any similar issues at the moment.

Co-op runs 130 petrol stations in the country, and said it has a "full complement" of fuel delivery drivers.

Tesco also said that they have a "good availability of fuel" and both Sainsbury's and Asda said there are no current issues in their fuel supplies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58645712

However, 9 days later, with the issue still there, the Government having bought in their back up tankers and now the army, don't you get the impression that we have been 'sailing close to the wind' for a long time and this was always going to happen, it was just a matter of when ?
And, given that it is now widely accepted that this has been building over the last 10 years and then accelerated by Covid and Brexit, do you not think the Government should have maybe pre-empted the problem, rather than added to it :shootself

Sailing close to the wind is called Just in Time logistics. It's been used in all industries for years, gone are the days of huge stock holding. It only falls down when there's a rush on a product, whatever that product is. It could be bog roll, beer, building materials or in this case petrol. Fuelled totally by the inept BBC, who have an agenda these days of acting like a Red Top newspaper.

Name any product and we're only a sensationalist report away from a panic.

Next week, massive shortage on turkeys this Christmas as mass killings leads to carnage. Fox kills a few free range birds the reality.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I walked past that one about 7am today and the queue was no more than half a dozen vehicles incl a taxi. I'm guessing 7am tomorrow might be even quieter

Well you could have mentioned it earlier. I spent 30 mins queueing at Asda at that time this morning :annoyed:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sailing close to the wind is called Just in Time logistics. It's been used in all industries for years, gone are the days of huge stock holding. It only falls down when there's a rush on a product, whatever that product is. It could be bog roll, beer, building materials or in this case petrol. Fuelled totally by the inept BBC, who have an agenda these days of acting like a Red Top newspaper.

Name any product and we're only a sensationalist report away from a panic.

Next week, massive shortage on turkeys this Christmas as mass killings leads to carnage. Fox kills a few free range birds the reality.

Yes, really common across industries since 2008. It’s been a way of keeping costs down. Unfortunately it also creates an open goal for people who don’t understand, to fit it to their general complaints about life. And here we are.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

No

No - Forecourts and fuel deliveries to them are run by private businesses, why should the Government have been pre-empting a problem that has only been created by hysteria and nothing else. There was plenty of fuel to go around, so if everyone had continued as normal (as the Government requested) then we wouldn't have had this situation arise

Not sure what those criticising the Government would have wanted them to say instead? - yes there is a crisis, panic and buy every drop you can now even if it leaves those who provide critical services unable to get fuel to carry on providing those critical services

What has caused this more is the constant sniping by those with a political agenda, those who constantly have claimed that the country is falling apart, that everything will be in very short supply due to Brexit (so if someone hears of a slight shortage they fear it's the start of that prediction and panic) and also those who like to class the Government as liars and untrustworthy so when they do call for calm rational behaviour, then their message has already been undermined by those driving their liars / untrustworthy narratives and results in irrational behaviour and the need to keep their fuel tanks topped to the brim, even if they don't actually need it and it leaves others without

If someone claimed that there was a slight supply problem for any old product now, it's highly likely that the same irrational, selfish behaviour would lead to widescale shortages as too many of our society are just looking out for number one and have little interest in the greater good for society as a whole, we've seen it several times throughout this pandemic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here