Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Booked Seagulls Travel for tomorrow, fingers crossed they've got full tanks!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Only 2 hours and 1 change if you got to Eastleigh. £13 each on a groupsave, would seem like a decent alternative to the car if we weren't in this pandemic, especially with all the traffic getting passed Chichester, Arundel, Worthing etc. I've done the cricket a few times, and my folks live over that way - hence the interest. :thumbsup:

Agreed. Outside of the pandemic considerations, would be worth considering.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm going to have to join the queues today. Down to 30 miles in the tank and don't want to miss tomorrows match.

I fill up weekly (my job requires it) and regrettably the only advice to offer is don’t be afraid of a queue, you won’t find a forecourt with fuel that hasn’t got one [emoji106]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What time did you go out this morning?

I joined the Asda Hollingbury queue at 7:33am at got £70 in by 7:47, I darted into the supermarket to get a few bits and when I came out the petrol station was closed but with a tanker on it!

I think it’s early mornings not evenings that are the best time to go.

After Breakfast of course at about 10 :wink:

I have resigned myself to an early start tomorrow so thanks for the Info :thumbsup:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
After Breakfast of course at about 10 :wink:

I have resigned myself to an early start tomorrow so thanks for the Info :thumbsup:

If it helps last Saturday I joined a queue at Holmbush around 5:30am and was refuelled and away by 6:15 (They opened at 6), apparently it’s acceptable to wear your PJ’s and crocs at that time, it’s called forecourt chic [emoji106]

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Its very noticeable that on the BBC News web page and mobile news page, there is no mention of the fuel issue at all. Now given yesterday it was almost all that was on there, this would (IMO)seem to be a deliberate ploy to play down the issue to stop people from constantly refuelling every time they see a station that has fuel,

If so, surely thats a tacit acknowledgement that they were a great part of the problem in the first place by the highlighting a minor issue last week which set off the whole merry-go-round, because if they didnt think reporting it every second was prolonging the issue, why stop it now? And if reporting it now is pro loning it, highlighting it in the first place certainly made it a thousand times worse

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Its very noticeable that on the BBC News web page and mobile news page, there is no mention of the fuel issue at all. Now given yesterday it was almost all that was on there, this would (IMO)seem to be a deliberate ploy to play down the issue to stop people from constantly refuelling every time they see a station that has fuel,

If so, surely thats a tacit acknowledgement that they were a great part of the problem in the first place by the highlighting a minor issue last week which set off the whole merry-go-round, because if they didnt think reporting it every second was prolonging the issue, why stop it now? And if reporting it now is pro loning it, highlighting it in the first place certainly made it a thousand times worse
The BBC are following instructions because they want it to dampen down before the Tory conference? ???

Surely not :shrug:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

100% agree. Yes there was a problem and the leeches running the fuel delivery companies need to pay their drivers more, minium the same as food delivery, so they can attract drivers. And the feckwits in charge of this country need to plan how to run the country properly.

But the Media have a lot to answer for in causing this panic and feasting on the results (queues, fights and so on) of said panic. I'd be too optimistic to think they have come to their senses or have grown a conscience, could be 'political pressure' but IDGAF as long as things get back to normal.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
are there any logistics experts on here?

I was wondering what the actual best way to resolve this issue is, given that we, the public, aren't going to help by being sensible.

There are a couple of options that I can think of
Is it best to:

1. refuel the country in an even spread, so that limited fuel is going everywhere, but means that within a short space of time its all gone

2.Concentrate area by area and "flood" each area in turn with fuel so that anyone in that area can get it, refiling returns to normal, tankers then go to the next area, and so on.Immediate con is that it will leave some areas totally dry

Im sure there are pro and cons to each, and there are probably a few other ways to do it. Logistically (taking all the emotion out) there must be a most efficient way of doing it

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
are there any logistics experts on here?

I was wondering what the actual best way to resolve this issue is, given that we, the public, aren't going to help by being sensible.

There are a couple of options that I can think of
Is it best to:

1. refuel the country in an even spread, so that limited fuel is going everywhere, but means that within a short space of time its all gone

2.Concentrate area by area and "flood" each area in turn with fuel so that anyone in that area can get it, refiling returns to normal, tankers then go to the next area, and so on.Immediate con is that it will leave some areas totally dry

Im sure there are pro and cons to each, and there are probably a few other ways to do it. Logistically (taking all the emotion out) there must be a most efficient way of doing it

The problem with 1) is that it potentially means creating a new problem in areas that don’t currently have one. I have yet to see a petrol queue in my area apart from minor issues a week ago. I don’t think it would be helpful to divert petrol away from Merseyside to placate the nonsense going on in Sussex and elsewhere.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
3 hours each way, 3 different trains, and would cost more than twice as much as the petrol (there are three of us).

And am not really comfortable with busy pubic transport, right now, either...)

Until now, I had genuinely assumed you used to work in a Ford garage in some capacity and had never got around to changing the Location on your profile.

The things we learn.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So when will this particular issue finish for a bit ?

I have to say that last Thursday night I thought it would be all over by the time the match finished Monday, but here we are over a week later in contradiction of all reports I had seen from the Government, Industry etc. All logic says that it has to come to an end soon doesn't it :shrug:

Or is the reduction in press reporting because the situation is finally getting better and Brighton/Sussex is just a bit of an outlier ?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
3 hours each way, 3 different trains, and would cost more than twice as much as the petrol (there are three of us).

And am not really comfortable with busy pubic transport, right now, either...)

My last search for petrol, running on fumes, was hairy enough, so I'm avoiding pubic transport too:lol:

Problem up this way seems to be that we are getting fuel but little or none of it is diesel. And being rural most of us around here drive them. Our local garage just outside the village is getting deliveries of petrol but the police have shut him down twice because the queue is becoming a real hazard.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
WTF. They are our government. Our country needs our government to anticipate problems and put in place measures to prevent or mitigate. I think we can safely say there have been warnings about forthcoming distribution issues for many years. I think we can expect our government to listen to trade bodies and ward off this type of cluster****. Instead we try to wing it. And here we are announcing troops to deliver fuel. And I am not sure I believe that will be anything other than a sop to appear to be doing something.

Crikey. I really whooshed you there, didn't I! :eek::facepalm::lolol::cheers:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
8 empty/closed stations yesterday, have an empty car and 4 empty scooters . . . . went to the lock up and pumped the Cortina of enough to get to work on my scooter this morning. will need to fill up this weekend or stay at home.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So when will this particular issue finish for a bit ?

I have to say that last Thursday night I thought it would be all over by the time the match finished Monday, but here we are over a week later in contradiction of all reports I had seen from the Government, Industry etc. All logic says that it has to come to an end soon doesn't it :shrug:

Or is the reduction in press reporting because the situation is finally getting better and Brighton/Sussex is just a bit of an outlier ?

Still ****ed in North Kent.

The trigger was what? Shortage of (foreign) drivers? And we are letting them back in (till the end of the year)?

That doesn't sound like a 'solution' to me.

What is the 'only good things will come of Brexit' contingent saying presently? Even if we could reverese Brexit (which we cannot) it would take years to fix the labour shortage because workers have made new plans. Why would they go back to pre-Brexit working?

It is as if we have got Brexit done by macine gunning all the exits, and ourselves in the face. Who knew? ??? :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Had a look when I was out at lunch. Local Esso and Shell both dry.

Asda has fuel, but the queue stretches out onto the busy public roundabout, and I wasn't prepared to join the back of it and block the way. (obviously somebody else will have gone ahead and done just that 10 seconds later, but hey...)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
one after the other . . . . Boris hasn't lost the fight, he blew his and our own legs off.

2307.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-theresa-may-to-monty-python-limbless-knight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here