Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There's every likelyhood UKIP will have their first MP by tomorrow

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It will be interesting to see how UKIP handles Carswell winning Clacton, as I expect him to do. Some restraint is needed because he was, after all, the sitting MP and not some 'unknown quantity'.

Perversely, them winning that seat at this juncture could be counter-productive to their overall aspirations to make inroads at the May 2015 General Election. Voters may see them gloating over getting their first MP as a sign that a simple protest vote might indeed usher in Labour, so could galvanise the casual Tory vote into action.

I'm hoping it will make a few more Tories defect.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
EDNA !!! I know she would only have been a young impressionable cadet in those days but surely not.

I was scratching my head at this for quite some time until I realised he meant Edwina :D

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'm not convinced by them but they have spiced up the race. Do you think Brussels Bureaucrats deserve their whacking salaries and expenses? Do you agree there should be no limit as to how many EU citizens want to live in the Uk? Do you think most of out industries and transport institutions should be foreign owned? Do you think the EU can make laws preventing us deporting certain people and allowing prisoners to vote? Just asking I'm not expressing a view either way, for example maybe certain prisoners who committed minor offences should be able to vote, maybe not.
UKIP take the salary but don't turn up that's a waste of money.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That was her! I didn't think Enda looked right. It sounded right somehow. Crackin' up. Apologies to Edna's everywhere

The thought of those two together: well I found it quite disturbing when that news first broke :ohmy:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This close ? That is the traditional view and of course it is easier to make a protest vote at a by-election - but we have not had that many this close to a fixed term election.

Tory MPs who maybe feels closer to UKIP than Cameron may feel it is their interests to go now. Rochester will be more of an indicator. Of course this could be wishful thinking on my part!

Should Ukip win Rochester than alarm bells for CMD,bloody loud ones.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Should Ukip win Rochester than alarm bells for CMD,bloody loud ones.

A Survation poll from a couple of days ago has UKIP on 40% and Conservatives on 31% , stripping out those who didn't vote in 2010 on the basis they would be unlikely to vote in a by election and both parties are head to head on 34%. Labour have already decided it isn't a winnable seat.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
UKIP take the salary but don't turn up that's a waste of money.

Roger Helmer has an 88% attendance record which matches many Labour MEPs. I can't remember the figures for other UKIP MEPs from when I last looked them but suffice to say every party had it's shurkers. It's blatantly untrue to say they don't turn up.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ukip was ranked 76th out of 76 parties, attending on average 61.1 per cent of votes over the five-year Parliament. Among the six worst MEPs out of 764, three were from Ukip.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
I shall be voting UKIP, next election. I think Farage is many unpleasant things, and that his party is full of simpletons, but this is the only way I can think of metaphorically lobbing a grenade amongst the body politic. We can’t keep importing coolies to keep wages down, and what is happening to 20 and 30 somethings with the housing market and and their pension arrangement is day-light robbery.
Vive la révolution!

Jan 30, 2008
28,000 romanians held for crimes in London and come second on the list of foriegn nationals arrested by police for serious crimes ,EU migrants without a job in this country numbers around 600, 000 , 55milion a day for being in the EU and so it goes on
regards
DR

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I shall be voting UKIP, next election. I think Farage is many unpleasant things, and that his party is full of simpletons, but this is the only way I can think of metaphorically lobbing a grenade amongst the body politic.

why not vote Green, or Monster Raving Looney then? UKIP is part of the "body politic" really, its just a disenchanted wing of the extreames of conservatives. and are you really going to vote for a candidate that you otherwise dislike, just because they wear a UKIP rosette? that there is the real problem of the politics here, tribal/party voting for a constituency based system.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
28,000 romanians held for crimes in London and come second on the list of foriegn nationals arrested by police for serious crimes ,EU migrants without a job in this country numbers around 600, 000 , 55milion a day for being in the EU and so it goes on
regards
DR

Don't start talking sense, the Guardian brigade will soon be along to shout you down and call you Racist.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
why not vote Green, or Monster Raving Looney then? UKIP is part of the "body politic" really, its just a disenchanted wing of the extreames of conservatives. and are you really going to vote for a candidate that you otherwise dislike, just because they wear a UKIP rosette? that there is the real problem of the politics here, tribal/party voting for a constituency based system.
.....because I want all three major parties to reflect on their failings.
I want to punish them:angry:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here